PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone And Imuran Questions:

TOBEY32
01-30-2013, 03:22 AM
I know I can pose these questions to my doc, but:

Does someone on (say) 10mgs of Pred have "more" of an immune system then (say) someone on 60mgs?

Does Imuran suppress ones immune system as much/the same way as Pred?

David

Pete
01-30-2013, 03:47 AM
Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory med. Immuran is an immunosuppressant med. Pred keeps you comfortable (sorta) and Immuran prevents your immune system from running amok.

Col 23
02-01-2013, 05:26 AM
Hi
My understanding was the Pred also makes you immune suppressed.
cheers Col 23

HopeinTN
02-01-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm with Pete. We are immune supressed because of the Cytoxan, MTX, Immuran...and not the prednisone. Or, at least that's how I understand it.

pberggren1
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Pred also suppresses the immune system.

Col 23
02-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi Phil
How are you? Haven't been on site for a while.Yes I read and was told by my docs that Pred also makes us immune suppressed Double whammy with the chemo as well.
Col 23

pberggren1
02-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi Col:

I am flaring right now. Have had 2 of 4 infusions of rtx so far and feeling pretty wiped. Have a bad sore and dry throat as well and can barely talk but it does seem to be better today. I'm on azithromycin for 10 days. Only 5 days left. I think it is working. So hopefully it is just an infection and not the disease or side effect of rtx. I am also being quarantined at home for another 3 weeks just to play it safe so I don't get a lung infection.

I hope you are well Col.

Pete
02-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Good luck, Phil. Hope you're better soon!

Col 23
02-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Hi Phil
Sounds like the docs have you managed well at the moment, hoping for good sailing weather and you get through this one.
I'm all over the place at the moment. The Cyclophosamine infusions every 3-4 weeks are knocking me around a bit and minor flares. Bloods
are lowering so hopefully thats a good sign.
All the best Col 23:thumbup:

pberggren1
02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Col: Sorry to hear you are flaring as well. Why not do oral ctx?

Col 23
02-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Hi Phil, read with interest about that on here, I will talk to Rheumy about this on Friday. Can you outline a few benefits for me. Obvious one is not having to do the infusions at the hospital but more interested in the medical for and against.
Thanks for raising this option sometimes we just go along with whatever, however to not have to go into the hospital ever again for infusions would lower my stress levels. Hate it with passion.:thumbdn: Any alternatives to making life easier I'm in. I have a wonderful GP who is only 5 mins away, he will send his nurse or home visit as he has previously done if I cant make it to the consulting rooms. He has advised me to just email him if required and he always gets back to me. So back up around the corner. Local hospital wouldn't do the infusions difference of 45 min drive to 20 min one way for me , but apparently I started a some political debate that has resurfaced. In the future this will be available, but until that gets resolved I continue in the City with the infusions.

Cheers
Col 23

Col 23
02-04-2013, 02:41 AM
Hi Phil again. Thought you deserved a special reply.
How is the quarantine going?. Hope you have lots of interesting things to do and that your feeling much better.:thumbup:
cheers Col23

pberggren1
02-04-2013, 07:29 AM
The big advantage of oral pred is that it works much better and way faster. If one if flaring bad then this is the way to go depending on how early the flare is caught and your history as well. But rtx is also the other big gun that is very effective.

Col 23
02-04-2013, 02:12 PM
HI Phil
Did you mean Oral Chemo instead of oral pred? With the oral chemo (cyclophosamine )is that once a week on a lower dose?
Col 23

drz
02-04-2013, 04:25 PM
HI Phil
Did you mean Oral Chemo instead of oral pred? With the oral chemo (cyclophosamine )is that once a week on a lower dose?
Col 23

No you usually take both oral CTX and pred meds daily for Weg treatment at whatever dosage the doctors recommend for you based on your weight and health history.