PDA

View Full Version : If You Got A Cold/Flu...

TOBEY32
01-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Would you take what you had to (immune-enhancing meds/supps) to feel better/get over it, knowing you were supposed to keep your system suppressed?

Don't know what would be proper/okay is why I ask.

David

Dirty Don
01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Caught bronchitis this time last year...doc (internist) gave me a Z pack...was gone in a week and I felt nothing outside of that. Rheumy said, at this stage for me, I can pretty much deal with most extraneous stuff like that, just shouldn't be dumb and go roaming among the wolves much anymore...coffee? coffee????

TOBEY32
01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Caught bronchitis this time last year...doc (internist) gave me a Z pack...was gone in a week and I felt nothing outside of that. Rheumy said, at this stage for me, I can pretty much deal with most extraneous stuff like that, just shouldn't be dumb and go roaming among the wolves much anymore...coffee? coffee????
Dirty Don, what do you mean by "deal with most extraneous stuff", and "roaming among the wolves"?

David

Dirty Don
01-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Dirty Don, what do you mean by "deal with most extraneous stuff", and "roaming among the wolves"? David

Sorry David, sometimes I get a little...mmmmm...what's the word...oh well! By 'extraneous stuff', I mean crowds, clean hands, pollution avoidance, ill people around me...hmmm, am I looking for Oz again...sighs. And, the wolves? sheesh, your guess is as good as mine...well, sometimes! LOL! It's a metaphor for those 'things' looking for US Weggies in the night...how's that?!?!

pberggren1
01-17-2013, 08:18 AM
If I feel a tad fluish I take an extra 1,000mg of vitamin C. I think most of us can get away with even 2,000mg in one day without over boosting our immune system too much. I also take 3,000IU of vitamin D each day. One should have their vitamin D levels checked regularly. I have mine checked twice a year. Both of these help the immune system fight off a cold and flu and such. I would not take stuff like ecinachia or ginseng.

chrisTIn@
01-17-2013, 09:21 AM
...coffee? coffee????

Here it is... :biggrin1:

http://www.animaatjes.nl/eten-en-drinken/eten-en-drinken-plaatjes/kopje-koffie/kopje_koffie_15.gif (http://www.animaatjes.nl/eten-en-drinken/)

Debbie C
01-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Phil , why would u not take echinacea or ginseng ? I am having a cup of enhinacea root tea as we speak. Am I doing something wrong here. I take things that try to boost my immune system

pberggren1
01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Stuff like echinacea and ginseng boost the immune system too much to the point where we could easily flare. So it is best to stay away from that stuff.

jola57
01-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Most of our meds work by depressing our immune system so it wouldn't be too good to take anything that gives it a boost :)

Shannon
01-19-2013, 08:47 AM
My pulmonologist always has me hold my MTX for a week if I get sick. He said that alone should give me the boost I need to fight it off without causing too much chance for a flare.

Debbie C
01-19-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm so confused...I know the drugs we take are to surpress our immune system BUT in the long run wouldn't it be better if we had a strong immune system to fight off any flares ? That's why I am trying to be on a health kick.

pberggren1
01-19-2013, 02:52 PM
It is hard to understand for sure. Our immune systems are more in a state of disregulation. And when we flare they become over active and can't recognize self from non self and can't shut down on it's own.