PDA

View Full Version : Cataracts

Jaha
12-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Just wondering, how many of you all, have had to have cataracts surgery, due to being on preds for so long? I went to see an ophthalmologist recently to have her check my eyes out for any weg's problems (can't see real well right now) and now she wants to remove cataracts. I don't know whether to get a second opinion or not.:confused1:

Girly3800
12-28-2012, 01:30 PM
My husband's rheumatologist told him that Prednisone will cause or make cataracts worse - but - to wait until he is off them to have surgery to remove them.

drz
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Just wondering, how many of you all, have had to have cataracts surgery, due to being on preds for so long? I went to see an ophthalmologist recently to have her check my eyes out for any weg's problems (can't see real well right now) and now she wants to remove cataracts. I don't know whether to get a second opinion or not.:confused1:

I had mine removed over a year ago. I was still on about 5 mg of Pred at that time. I had cataracts developing before but the pred treatment might have moved up my surgery date a bit. I had been trying to get the surgery for some years but my vision was not bad enough to have insurance cover the surgery until fall of 2011. It is a very simple procedure and greatly improved my vision so I began free of glasses for first time in 60 years. My vision is not perfect but good enough to drive and do most things OK.

pwc51
12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Like drz I had my cataracts removed just over a year ago. I would say I was on 7.5mg pred at the time and I don't recall any concerns related to pred. What they did do was add a couple of extra checks due to my Wegs. My vision deteriorated rapidly when on pred over the prior 2 years. There is no way I could have continued much longer as I was really struggling by the time they were operated on. Now, other than for reading, I don't need glasses, the first time in 55 years! The best cure for short sightedness ever!

crackers
12-28-2012, 10:31 PM
i had both eyes done a couple of years ago while on 5mg of pred.i'd worn glasses 50 years but now my vision is great though i still need them for reading.
john.

Girly3800
12-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Sorry - guess i could have explained better. His doctor said to wait because the Pred will continue to worsen the cataracts. He had one eye done before all this started and it is having problems too - the other, which was only starting at the time has gotten much worse.

Jaha
12-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks to all for the great info. I guess I will have to hold off on the surgery until I'm at least back down to around 10mgs of preds. I am so glad I asked you all about this. Of course the eye person wanted to do it right away. I'll just have to be blind a little longer.:biggrin1:

drz
12-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Sorry - guess i could have explained better. His doctor said to wait because the Pred will continue to worsen the cataracts. He had one eye done before all this started and it is having problems too - the other, which was only starting at the time has gotten much worse.

One the surgery is done I don't think you can get cataracts anymore since you have an artificial lens that won't grow any. If your pred dosage is low enough the surgery should not present any problems or undue risks unless there are other meds that create risks.