PDA

View Full Version : My next adventure

andrew
12-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Anyone in London in late May 2013? :) I'm planning to be there for a few days prior to going to Europe - destinations still in the planning stages but looking like might be Denmark (Copenhagen), Sweden (Solvesborg - SwedenRock Festival!!!!), Germany (Berlin, Dresden), Czech Republic (Prague - where else!!! :w00t:), Austria (Vienna) and Croatia (Dubrovnik - I'll need a rest by then) then back to London for a day or so.

Will definitely have time to meet up in London if anyone wants to say hello. Other places will have to play by ear.

Planning is still in the "embryonic" stages as there are one or two things that have to happen first - including getting some money together haha!! So much to do between now and then it's quite daunting.

Anyway, I would be overjoyed to finally meet some of you guys if you have the time. I've still never met a Weggie in person :crying:

mishb
12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Sounds wonderful............who needs money :biggrin1:

And you would travel so far to meet your first weggie when some of us are practically on your doorstep........I don't know :flapper::razz::angry:

Have fun with the planning :thumbsup:

Sangye
12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
LOL Michelle.... :thumbsup:

It sounds like a great trip, Andrew. And you know, Maryland isn't really that far from Europe. :wink1:

RudiK
12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Good luck with the planning, Andrew, I'm planning to visit my brother in Germany next year. I don't know what month, though. If it will be within the same time period of your trip I will get in touch with you. My brother lives near Kassel, which is only about 90 minutes driving. So, if it works out, I'd love to meet you in Berlin. It's been over 35 years since I was Berlin the last time, and I think a little has changed there since then and I'd to like to see it again.
Rudi K

andrew
12-28-2012, 10:25 PM
And you would travel so far to meet your first weggie when some of us are practically on your doorstep........I don't know :flapper::razz::angry:

Haha true. For some reason I don't travel a heck of a lot within Oz apart from the odd trip to Melbourne. When I go on holiday I...you know......REALLY go on holiday :)

crackers
12-28-2012, 10:36 PM
when you know the dates of your london stay let us know.haven't had a trip to london for a few years,would be good.
john.

mishb
12-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Haha true. For some reason I don't travel a heck of a lot within Oz apart from the odd trip to Melbourne. When I go on holiday I...you know......REALLY go on holiday :)

The same here...........funny people aren't we.:biggrin1:

andrew
12-29-2012, 08:53 AM
when you know the dates of your london stay let us know.haven't had a trip to london for a few years,would be good.
john.

Absolutely will :)

pberggren1
12-29-2012, 09:13 AM
I want to come to London now.

vdub
12-29-2012, 12:56 PM
That sounds like a really decent trip! Have fun!

Jaha
12-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Andrew,

Congrats to you on planning such an amazing holiday! We here in the states don't usually get a holiday,(or long retreat), do to employers regulations on time off. I hope that you can make arrangements with some wegs along the way.:thumbsup:

drz
12-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I want to come to London now.

Phil, do you think we could handle the long flight? I think London England would be nice trip too. But London Ontario is probably more doable for us?

pwc51
12-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Andrew - How exciting (I don't quite feel up to such a long journey yet). I am not a million miles from London so may be able to join the 'celebrations'. Please keep us appraised of dates etc.

pberggren1
12-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I think I could handle the long flight as long as I could use my nebulizing machine or bring lots of saline water for the nose to keep it moist.

jeniban
12-30-2012, 08:06 PM
I am also going to Europe. We are going in June,for 21 wonderfull days, 14 day river cruise and 3 nights in Prague and Paris. This is my once in a life time trip:w00t:(saving for 8 years) So looking forward to it. Only one concern is Travel insurance, anyone from Australia suggest a company who will take on us Weggies:bored:

pwc51
12-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Not sure if you have a 'brand' of Virgin Insurance in Australia but they covered me for a very reasonable price when I recently travelled to France from the UK.

mishb
12-30-2012, 10:57 PM
I am also going to Europe. We are going in June,for 21 wonderfull days, 14 day river cruise and 3 nights in Prague and Paris. This is my once in a life time trip:w00t:(saving for 8 years) So looking forward to it. Only one concern is Travel insurance, anyone from Australia suggest a company who will take on us Weggies:bored:

Jen, I have just been to the USA and was totally covered.

Go on to the Australia Post website and look for travel insurance. It is Underwritten through Great Lakes Australia and is very economical and easy to purchase and it covers for most pre-existing conditions. You enter your condition and it will tell you if you are automatically covered or if you have to pay extra to be covered. I paid about $70 extra and it was still cheaper than other covers. Don't purchase any from your travel agent.

I did my research before purchasing any and this one was excellent. I only looked at ones for the USA though but the UK should be a lot easier.
Australia have a health treaty with UK which should keep the price down.

.......you are both making me want to travel again.
We have already spoken about our next trip being to UK for Wimbledon......only so we can see Cliff Richard singing, when it rains :thumbsup:

Geoff
12-31-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi Andrew,

We live about an hour out of London and would love to meet up with you when you come over in May. I have to hold my hand up and apologise because we flew over you in November on our way to Perth, W.A - Just couldnt make the connections to break our journey so would love to meet up and offer you that beer I promised some time ago!!

Today is the first time in months I have been able to log on so please email me your dates as I cannot always log on.

Hope you travel as well as I did. I wore a mask on every plane journey and washed my hands like Howard Hughes!! still it paid off.

Good Luck with the planning and a very Happy New Year.

jeniban
12-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks pwc51 and mishb your hints will save me a lot of time searching.:thumbsup:mishb hope you can enjoy your to wimbledon trip. Are you going to see Cliff Richard when he is in Australia this year?

andrew
12-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Go on to the Australia Post website and look for travel insurance. It is Underwritten through Great Lakes Australia and is very economical and easy to purchase and it covers for most pre-existing conditions. You enter your condition and it will tell you if you are automatically covered or if you have to pay extra to be covered. I paid about $70 extra and it was still cheaper than other covers. Don't purchase any from your travel agent.

Nice tip thanks from me too!! I haven't got my insurance yet so will take a look.

I'll make some more formal meet-up arrangements closer to the time but it looks like we could get a few of us together which would be great.

mishb
12-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks pwc51 and mishb your hints will save me a lot of time searching.:thumbsup:mishb hope you can enjoy your to wimbledon trip. Are you going to see Cliff Richard when he is in Australia this year?

Yes we will see Cliff when he is in Melbourne in February.
I have only missed one of his concerts in the last 30 years........and he's getting on, so maybe this will be his last one out here :sad:

Wimbeldon is only a dream and who knows it probably wont rain......and then Cliff wont sing anyway........or, we wont get tickets to go.

andrew
05-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Hey all. It's almost that day! Looking forward to seeing Geoff in London. Will be passing through London, Lyon, Venice, the French Riviera and Bordeaux before going back to London. :)

andrew
05-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Hehe just looked at my original post. The trip has changed a little bit haha

pwc51
05-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Hi Andrew - when do you visit London (Geoff) - I may be around?

andrew
05-24-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm there 29th of May to 7th June

chrisTIn@
05-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Then you 'll miss the Rolling Stones concert....

Any chance you 'll make a stopover in Amsterdam?

Btw...French riviera is beautifull! :thumbsup:

andrew
05-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Can't afford the Rolling Stones :)

Don't have time to go to Amsterdam unfortunately :( Closest I'll get is a possible night in Brussels

Very much looking forward to the Riviera. We will be hiring a car in Lyon and driving that around for a few weeks.

chrisTIn@
05-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Brussels could be a possibility for hubby and me to meet you....
We might catch up with you in some nice Belgian restaurant. :biggrin1:

When you know what your schedule will look like,
and you have some spare time, please inform me by PM.
Good luck with all the preparations!

andrew
05-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Excellent thanks! Will be in touch!

pberggren1
05-25-2013, 09:53 AM
O Canada...........hmm.

andrew
05-25-2013, 10:02 AM
O Canada...........hmm.

LOL if I wanted cold weather I could stay here ;-p

pberggren1
05-25-2013, 10:07 AM
lol mate.....it is nice here, not cold at all.

andrew
05-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Define "not cold"

pberggren1
05-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Is is averaging 23 this week.

andrew
05-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Ok I stand corrected :)

marylz
05-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Have a great trip, Andrew! I am very jealous!:biggrin1:

andrew
05-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks Mary!

mishb
05-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Have a safe trip Andrew.

Take care and be good
..........and if you can't be good, be careful :biggrin1: :flapper:

ENJOY !!

Alysia
05-26-2013, 04:22 AM
bon voyage andrew !
if you will come to israel, write to me. I will be glad to meet you: you will be the first weggie I ever see face to face. considering the way from australia to London, Israel is "over the corner". the weather is hot :cool1: my husband is already swimming in the sea. for my poor joints it is too cold yet...

andrew
05-26-2013, 06:53 PM
bon voyage andrew !
if you will come to israel, write to me. I will be glad to meet you: you will be the first weggie I ever see face to face. considering the way from australia to London, Israel is "over the corner". the weather is hot :cool1: my husband is already swimming in the sea. for my poor joints it is too cold yet...

Thank Alysia! Wow it's not far after all that way for sure. I'm sorry I won't be able to make it just that bit further :(

I'm going to meet my first weggie when I see Geoff in London. Looking forward to it!!

Geoff
05-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Me Too!!!!

Better bring a couple of pullovers and an umbrella Andrew, especially after the summer you guys in Oz have enjoyed!!

Situation here very cold, wet and gloomy...but it's what we do best!!!

The welcome will, I hope, put it all to rights. :thumbsup:

mishb
05-30-2013, 12:52 AM
It's freezing over here at the moment Geoff......lucky you came over in Summer.

I know you both will get along, just like best mates.

Have a ball

andrew
05-30-2013, 03:09 AM
P
Me Too!!!!

Better bring a couple of pullovers and an umbrella Andrew, especially after the summer you guys in Oz have enjoyed!!

Situation here very cold, wet and gloomy...but it's what we do best!!!

The welcome will, I hope, put it all to rights. :thumbsup:

I believe you! :) Got into London this morning and have already been to Shepherds Bush Westfield to buy another jacket :)

Mikek
06-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Try taking the train from London st pancreas direct to Paris. Great fun, two hours ten minutes. If you book European train travel on the net before you leave Oz, you can save a packet. Have fun.

andrew
06-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Try taking the train from London st pancreas direct to Paris. Great fun, two hours ten minutes. If you book European train travel on the net before you leave Oz, you can save a packet. Have fun.

Thanks! We come back from France on the train via Paris but not enough time to see anything. Just a couple of hours to move between stations. Had to chop out a lot of the list of places we wanted to see to make the rest more enjoyable.

Geoff
06-07-2013, 09:09 AM

What a great way to spend a thursday!! Thanks Andrew for bringing over some Aussie sunshine as we spend some quality time in an London Pub on Chiswick High Road. It was an honour to meet you, a fellow Weggie, and 'Shoot the Breeze' as you say. Who would have guessed you were an Iron Maiden fan!! Oh yes the track that Emily and Mark had when they walked into their wedding reception was "Back in Black". Have a blast in Europe, and hope to catch up with you again some day my friend.

Debbie C
06-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Glad to hear you two got to meet and had a wonderful day. It would be nice if we could all pick one place a year and get together for a "Weggie party" maybe do it on pajama day and have a big sleep over !!!

andrew
06-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Perfect end to the week thanks Geoff! Pleasure to meet you too :) What a great day! Will catch up with you next time for sure but I'll come to your place next time :)