PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have To Go Off Of Cellcept If You Get A Cold/Infection?

beeinformed
12-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi,

I have a question for everyone, do I have to go off of Cellcept if I get a cold/infection? The reason why I am asking this is because I am seeing my family this coming Saturday and one of my brothers (who is coming) has a bad cold with the chills.

I contemplating staying home because of my brother's cold but really would like to see my other brother, as well as my nieces and nephews (and their children) and was wondering if their is any precautions I can take to prevent getting his cold?

I dread getting sick because it takes me forever to get rid of any cold/infections so I appreciate any suggestions/advice from you guys! Thanks! :smile1:

rif
12-27-2012, 11:44 PM
No keep taking the meds, much safer to do that as never know what reaction would be if stopped suddenly. My son has taken his continually through any colds/infections. Try to take reasonable precautions, are you sure your brother should be travelling anyway?

Rif

Sangye
12-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Never stop Cellcept (or any drug) without your doctor's okay. Cellcept works by destroying B cells and it isn't going to stop working right away anyway.

Maybe your brother should stay home. Why give the gift of sickness to the entire family? :confused1:

Jaha
12-28-2012, 11:17 AM
The only times that the doctor has had me go off the Cellcept is when I'm taking antibotics for an infection.

andrew
12-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Concur with the above. I considered stopping Imuran when I got Pig Flu a few years back but my doc told me it would probably just make me feel worse. Takes me yonkers to get over stuff too so it always crosses my mind when I catch something.

With all my years of medical training *cough* LOL it seems logical to my mind that if the immune system is being hammered by an infection then reducing or stopping immunosuppressants altogether would give you a fighting chance.

carriej22
01-05-2013, 03:30 PM
I was sick not once.. But TWICE in the past six weeks. First one was more painful (head, chills, sore throat) and lasted about three weeks. I collected this one I have now on boxing day and it's a barking cougher. However I am coming out of it. Doc told me NOT to stop Imuran unless he says so.

I guess I will listen to him, lol.

Dirty Don
01-06-2013, 03:53 AM
it seems logical to my mind that if the immune system is being hammered by an infection then reducing or stopping immunosuppressants altogether would give you a fighting chance.

Hmmm, looks around room...stops...checks drugs on table...it's cuz we have WEGENER'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop a cold or kill granulomas...which is it? LOL!

Pete
01-06-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm almost healed from a head cold that started last weekend. I did not change any of my meds. I took Xicam (OTC cold med), an expectorant, and an occasional tessalon perle when the cough got too annoying. I still have excess mucous in my sinuses, but that is going away.

My immune system is somewhat compromised, but apparently robust enough to combat the rhinovirus. At the moment, I'm taking 15 mg/wk of mtx, 5 mg/day of pred, bactrim 3x/wk, and 1mg/day of folic acid. I've been in remission for about 11 months, so I guess being generally healthy helps a lot.

Bottom line: If in doubt or if symptoms get worse, call your wegs doc for guidance.