PDA

View Full Version : Final Days

rkm001
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
i do not write this to put a scare in any of you. This is my heart reaching out to all of you. I understand the disease is manageable and given the right situation the meds can work wonders.
My Mothers case was different in that she is 76. My brothers and I had to make the hardest decision in our lives today. Mother is not well; renal failure, blood clots in multiple places, bleeding diffusely from the colon, deep ulcer, and hasnt eaten well since the diagnosis in April.
I want you to know the conversations have been very helpful and I have looked forward to all of your responses. God Bless you all!

Sangye
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm so, so sorry to hear this. This has happened so fast-- you must all be in a state of shock.

Please don't worry about scaring us-- those of us who've had it for even a short time know all too well what Wegs can do. And for those newly diagnosed, it's a reminder of how quickly Wegs can get out of hand.

Please let us know if we can help you or your family. It's been a pleasure helping you through this.

andrew
06-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Very sad to hear this. My thoughts are with you and your family. If there's anything we can do to help, just ask.

Jack
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Very sorry to hear of your mother, it is something most of us have had to come to terms with along with understanding the disease. We all have our given time and to protract the suffering would be the worst thing anyone could do. My own mother-in-law was kept barely alive for 6 months at her husband's insistance - it was pitiful.

My thoughts are with you.

crackers
06-04-2009, 04:54 PM
so so sorry.my thoughts are with you.
john.

Derek
06-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Sorry to hear your sad news.

Derek

cwcindylou
06-05-2009, 04:12 AM
I know how you feel. My sister (52) just passed away in March after being diagnosed in February. I have not found the time to post her story as of yet but I promised Andrew that I would...and I will. May God Bless you, and if I can help you let me know.

jola57
06-05-2009, 04:31 PM
My thoughts are with you in these hard times. We all realize how quickly this disease can deteriorate our life and we are thankful for each day. Please know that your decision is the right one for your family and I am glad we can be here to listen and give whatever comfort we can.

Doug
06-09-2009, 01:26 AM
I am very sorry to read that your mother is passing into death. Know that you are an honorary Weggie and that your postings will help others to better understand their disease, perhaps bypass some of the vicissitudes your mother endured. Her example underscores what was the common outcome of WG until the early 1970's, and, more importantly, the outcome for roughly 1 in 10 people who develop the disease today. It also underscores how fast this disease moves and why we Weggies sometimes get bossy with newcomers about seeking treatment, having the right doctors involved in their treatment, learning as much as they can about WG, and being actively involved in their treatment. Know too, that, even though we never met your mother, our connection to her is very much felt. Never has this poem felt so personal and real to me:

For Whom the Bell Tolls

by John Donne

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

coffeelover
06-09-2009, 08:32 AM
So sorry about your news. I wish you strength to get through this difficult time. Just know that we are all with you.
Lisa