PDA

View Full Version : lets share tips and tricks to save money this holiday season.

alexciasmom
11-25-2012, 03:44 PM
With the holiday season upon us. I Think it would be nice to share ideas that we have and or do to save money and get what we probably don't need but want.
My secret weapon is thrift store. I can find cheap new and nice used items there.

annekat
11-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I have found some great, good quality things for myself at thrift stores and it would be great to find them for others, too!

alexciasmom
11-27-2012, 01:19 AM
O yeah. I love having family and friends that are thrift shoppers as well.

Pete
11-27-2012, 02:55 AM
Some grocery stores (Giant Eagle and Kroger in our area) offer points that can reduce the price of gasoline at their company-owned gas stations (usually located near the grocery store). You accumulate points thru grocery purchases and also by buying gift cards for many other establishments.

annekat
11-27-2012, 04:31 AM
I shop at Grocery Outlet a lot. I don't know if they are nationwide but there are quite a few in the West. In addition to good deals on food, they always have a seasonal display of things that would make good gifts. And then there's the Dollar Tree and places like that, and Big Lots, another one that is especially good for housewares, garden tools, and even some electronics. So not all great deals are on used items!

annekat
11-27-2012, 04:35 AM
Of course, let's remember to support local small businesses, crafters, florists, bakeries, and anything made in the USA (or whatever country you live in) whenever possible!

Lightwarrior
11-27-2012, 06:26 AM

I love thrift stores and garage sales

pberggren1
11-27-2012, 06:28 AM

I must be tireds......lol. I thought this said you like to shop lift....ha ha.

Lightwarrior
11-27-2012, 06:30 AM
I must be tireds......lol. I thought this said you like to shop lift....ha ha.

Maybe it raised your hackles because Batman hates shoplifters...LOL

drz
11-27-2012, 07:48 AM
I shop at Grocery Outlet a lot. I don't know if they are nationwide but there are quite a few in the West. In addition to good deals on food, they always have a seasonal display of things that would make good gifts. And then there's the Dollar Tree and places like that, and Big Lots, another one that is especially good for housewares, garden tools, and even some electronics. So not all great deals are on used items!

Many times I find the specials for new stuff at a regular store are comparable or even better some times than prices at our local Thrift stores. Usually Moving sales have best prices and some times garage sales but they are closed down in my area for Winter. Some people really like auctions for good deals if you have time and enjoy that sort of thing.

annekat
11-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Another couple ideas that came to me for gifts:

I love the amaryllis bulbs that are available almost anywhere. They are often not expensive, easy to ship, and produce really beautiful blooms in the middle of winter. Same for paper white narcissus. Also lily bulbs to be planted for spring and summer bloom (when you can plant may depend on where you live.)

There are some nice gifts available online from animal rescue sites and fair trade sites where people in less developed countries are paid fairly for their work. A place to start is www.theanimalrescuesite.com. You can also click there to help provide food for homeless pets and those affected by hurricane Sandy, for free.

Lightwarrior
11-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Another couple ideas that came to me for gifts:

I love the amaryllis bulbs that are available almost anywhere. They are often not expensive, easy to ship, and produce really beautiful blooms in the middle of winter. Same for paper white narcissus. Also lily bulbs to be planted for spring and summer bloom (when you can plant may depend on where you live.)

There are some nice gifts available online from animal rescue sites and fair trade sites where people in less developed countries are paid fairly for their work. A place to start is www.theanimalrescuesite.com (http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com). You can also click there to help provide food for homeless pets and those affected by hurricane Sandy, for free.

Thanks, I clicked on the animal rescue link. Very worth the click.

alexciasmom
12-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Wow all great ideas. We have smiths here that gives points off for gas. And sad but good I get 50 points per rx, and 400 points give you 2$ off a gal. We also with fam and friends have girls from 15 down to two so every so often like this time off year. Pack all clothing to small or the child does not like , and toys traid to the next size down.

KathyB
12-10-2012, 05:45 AM
Great ideas, all! I've been "making" things for gifts, too. Buying fleece remnants provides a number of options -- blankets, throws, scarves, etc. Easy to cut and then tie knots for fringe. The first time I tried it, our women's group was making "care kits" for those in need in our community. I volunteered to make the scarves and they came out pretty well, so I've tried some more as gifts for loved ones. They look good and have been very economical to make!

KB

alexciasmom
12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I have been painting wineglasses for candle holders, painting Christmas ornaments, and wood burning and or carving pitcher frames.

annekat
12-11-2012, 03:47 AM
These all sound like excellent ideas and fun ways to pass the time, especially for those Weggies who stay home and can use some things to do..... People who don't think they are "artistic" or "creative" may be surprised, with a little practice!

alexciasmom
12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
these all sound like excellent ideas and fun ways to pass the time, especially for those weggies who stay home and can use some things to do..... People who don't think they are "artistic" or "creative" may be surprised, with a little practice!
hear!! Hear!!!

Hammy8241
12-12-2012, 01:05 AM
As the costs mount up, i think the cheapest option is to join another faith :)

annekat
12-12-2012, 04:52 AM
As the costs mount up, i think the cheapest option is to join another faith :) Possibly, but I think they give presents, too.......besides, many of us simply enjoy the Christmas season and traditions regardless of the depth of our faith...... Even atheists get swept into it to some degree! But spending a lot of money is not a prerequisite for having a Merry Christmas!:cool1:

Sangye
12-12-2012, 08:27 AM
As the costs mount up, i think the cheapest option is to join another faith :)
Totally worked for me. :wink1:

pberggren1
12-13-2012, 07:14 AM
I show up at peoples homes and say: My presence is your presents........lol

Lightwarrior
12-13-2012, 09:10 AM
I show up at peoples homes and say: My presence is your presents........lol Do you wear a bow in your hair?

annekat
12-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Do you wear a bow in your hair? Maybe he wears a bow tie!

alexciasmom
12-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I show up at peoples homes and say: My presence is your presents........lol

your so funny phill... my landlord gave me a nice coat for lex her daughter has never even worn it. so its now a xmas gift. you like?

annekat
12-13-2012, 05:22 PM
your so funny phill... my landlord gave me a nice coat for lex her daughter has never even worn it. so its now a xmas gift. you like?
Yes, very nice! It looks classy and cool. Or I should say, it looks warm! :thumbup:

pberggren1
12-14-2012, 08:31 AM
My hair is too short for a bow.....lol....only 6mm long.

Sangye
12-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Mine too. :wink1:

jola57
12-20-2012, 05:43 PM
When kids were growing up I would thrift shop lately though one of my tenants brought in bed bugs, so please be careful, bring the items tightly wrapped and throw immediately into hot wash. I save by buying 70% off at end of season, shop locally and go to farmers market. I do gas shopping across the border, sorry Canada but I'm ashamed that with our oil wealth I have to do this, I save almost $20. I used to clothes swap with friends for our sons. Big grocery stores are in cohorts and jack up prices one some items while lowering others. So if you have them reasonably close together go to furthest one and get the lowest priced items on your list and continue down the line it can add up to lots of money, add to that coupons and you have extra money for small pleasures.

alexciasmom
12-30-2012, 10:41 PM
When kids were growing up I would thrift shop lately though one of my tenants brought in bed bugs, so please be careful, bring the items tightly wrapped and throw immediately into hot wash. I save by buying 70% off at end of season, shop locally and go to farmers market. I do gas shopping across the border, sorry Canada but I'm ashamed that with our oil wealth I have to do this, I save almost $20. I used to clothes swap with friends for our sons. Big grocery stores are in cohorts and jack up prices one some items while lowering others. So if you have them reasonably close together go to furthest one and get the lowest priced items on your list and continue down the line it can add up to lots of money, add to that coupons and you have extra money for small pleasures.

o beleve me im all over that like butter on lobster...