PDA

View Full Version : Change in Medication Times

mishb
11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Good morning/afternoon/evening All

Just 5 more sleeps and I will have travelled from Australia to Las Vegas and then on to LA for a much needed holiday.

With the change of Time Zones I was wondering how I'm supposed to take my medications.

Do I continue to take them on Australian/Melbourne time or do I just change to the Time Zone that I am currently in.

For example: I take tablets with breakfast, with lunch and with dinner.

Pred is one that I always take at lunchtime as lunchtime is a consistent time for me whereas breakfast is hit and miss.......more miss than hit. :razz::ohmy:
So the pred is taken with my lunch at 1.30pm - Melbourne Time, however in Vegas, the Melbourne lunchtime will actually be dinner time (the day before).
My dinner time tablets, MTX and plaquenil, I take at 8.00pm Melbourne Time which is actually 1am Vegas time. :confused1:

OR; do I just take them at breakfast, lunch and dinner - Vegas/LA time?

Has anyone worried or found themselves in this situation before?

drz
11-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Ask your pharmacist or chemist? what they recommend for taking your meds. Meds are sometimes hooked up to meals or bedtime for reasons. Otherwise many meds it makes no difference as long as you take them each day or as directed.

Dirty Don
11-20-2012, 02:38 AM
With the change of Time Zones I was wondering how I'm supposed to take my medications.

Same way as always, orally...OK, OK, I need more coffee, it's early here! LOL! Anyway, am on pred, doesn't seem to matter when I take that, doc doesn't care either, just daily. Know nothing about Plaq. I already split MTX on the 1 day a week I take it. Sometimes I forget and don't get in the other half dose until 24 hours later. Doc said it didn't matter, as long as it's in the system within 24 hours of each half dose. Most drugs have a 'time release' function and all drugs have a 'half life' (ie. the reason we take aspirin 2/4 hours is cuz it's potency is reached at 2 hours...a half life), therefore, timing of ingestion isn't as acute as say if one has a stomach or blood problem affected by the drugs. I need coffee..........

pberggren1
11-20-2012, 05:00 AM
I would take them at Vegas time. When I went to Europe that is what I did.

Dirty Don
11-20-2012, 05:53 AM
I would take them at Vegas time. When I went to Europe that is what I did.

Not sure what Vegas' time zone has to do with, say, Rome's...BUT, I'm all about VEGAS...GO Phil!

pwc51
11-20-2012, 06:49 AM
For what it is worth, when I have travelled I have simply moved my tablet times to the local timezone. I have never had any noticeable adverse effects. On one occasion I got so confused as to what day of the week it was I took one of my weekly meds a whole day early - I am still here to tell the tale!

mishb
11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Thankyou all,

There was never any suggestion from my doc's to say what time I had to take each one, as long as they were taken with meals.

Like Anne, it was easier on me to take the MTX at dinner time so that most of the yuck period whould be whilst I was asleep.

I will speak to the pharmacist on Thursday but I think I will just take them at breakfast, lunch and dinner ...... whatever time that may be.....wherever I am.

pberggren1
11-20-2012, 10:07 AM
When in Vegas do as the Romans.

andrew
11-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Thankyou all,

There was never any suggestion from my doc's to say what time I had to take each one, as long as they were taken with meals.

Like Anne, it was easier on me to take the MTX at dinner time so that most of the yuck period whould be whilst I was asleep.

I will speak to the pharmacist on Thursday but I think I will just take them at breakfast, lunch and dinner ...... whatever time that may be.....wherever I am.

Yep. Agree with the others. Take them at local time wherever you are. It's what I did last year and no ill-effects aside from the jet lag *shudder* :)