PDA

View Full Version : Non WG kidney issues?

Jennie
11-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Hi All

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has any kidney issues that are apparently unrelated to their Wegener's diagnosis. I once again have a good size kidney stone in my right kidney and a cyst on my left. I have been told in the past that the stones are unrelated but this is the first time I have had a cyst. I am currently on Imuran (working back up to 150mg/day after stopping a few weeks ago while i had unexplained fevers and headaches) and am wondering if there is any relationship between the med and the cyst. I went for a CT scan yesterday and am seeing my family doctor tomorrow and have a dull pain in the left side of my back. My doctor has said that the cyst is nothing to worry about, but I think this is whats causing the pain. On an unrelated or maybe related note, I have having night sweats more often and the headaches are starting again.

If anyone has any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks so much

Jennie

Pete
11-17-2012, 06:45 AM
For what it's worth, night sweats are an indicator that I'm flaring.

Psyborg
11-17-2012, 07:37 AM
I'd be suspicious of a flare given those symptoms. If you can get your family doctor to run the appropriate tests I would do so.

drz
11-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi All

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has any kidney issues that are apparently unrelated to their Wegener's diagnosis. I once again have a good size kidney stone in my right kidney and a cyst on my left. I have been told in the past that the stones are unrelated but this is the first time I have had a cyst. I am currently on Imuran (working back up to 150mg/day after stopping a few weeks ago while i had unexplained fevers and headaches) and am wondering if there is any relationship between the med and the cyst. I went for a CT scan yesterday and am seeing my family doctor tomorrow and have a dull pain in the left side of my back. My doctor has said that the cyst is nothing to worry about, but I think this is whats causing the pain. On an unrelated or maybe related note, I have having night sweats more often and the headaches are starting again.

Thanks so much

Jennie

I had a cyst in my kidneys long before i had any kidney damage and it only hurt when they pressed on it during the ultra sound. Due to diabetes and aging I had about 20% loss of kidney function before Wegs hit them. I think I got down to about 20% function at the worst but they slowly rebounded to run around 40-50% function now and seem to be doing an adequate job cleaning my blood and urine according to my lab results.

I have been fortunate not to have any kidney stones yet but have heard that they can be extremely painful when being passed. I guess there are new techniques to crush them that are not invasive but don't know how safe they are for some one with Wegs. A good urologist should be able to sort this out for you. For me pain in kidney area often meant a bladder infection which was easily diagnosed with routine lab work. Good luck.

Lightwarrior
11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi All

Thanks so much

Jennie

I have had enough kidney stones to build a small house. I have had lithotripsy five times. Three of those times was by my urologist who did NOT leave in a stent, much more comfortable after the procedure. Two were by someone else on call who left in stents which made me want to scream the entire time post procedure until the stent was removed. I only go into the ED if I can not pass it at home with pain killers. When I am unable to urinate then I know that it is obstructing and I have to go in. At this point they should start IV's push fluid give nausea and pain meds.

I also have been told that the stones are unrelated and I also get any time of day sweats with them. Try to drink as much fluid as you can and I will send you light and energy. I hope that your pain is resolved quickly.

Debbie C
11-17-2012, 12:54 PM
I had kidney stones when I was about 17,was in the hosp. a few days but passed them..they are very painful. As far as the cysts go,I have cysts on my kidney, liver and other parts. I had an echo done for something awhile back ago (beforer wegs) and she said I have cysts all over,she said it was nothing to worry about that alot of people have them and have many more than I do so I don't think the meds have anyything to do with the cysts..don't worry about them. Keep drinking alot of water to help pevent the stones.