PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with ophthalmologists familiar with Wegs in WA/OR or at the U of U?

ArlaMo
11-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Wow! Haven't been able to access the forum in a while from my computer, but for some reason my son's computer will let me. Weird!!

So my Wegs seems to be flaring - I have an appointment with Dr. Koening at the U of U on November 26th. I have seen my optometrist and an ophthalmologist in the past month. Seems I have severe episcleritis and a blocked tear duct. At this point, the ophthalmologist wants me to see someone with more expertise with Wegs and the eye. He's recommending Casey Eye Clinic in Portland, but was unable to tell me whether or not they have docs who see Wegs patients. No more info forthcoming on that from their call center.

What I'd really like to do is see someone when I go to Utah, but I called today and got a brand new person in their call center who couldn't even spell Wegeners and I got nowhere getting info about eye docs there.

Wondering if anyone has experience (good, bad or otherwise) with eye docs in the NW or Utah.

Thanks!!

beeinformed
11-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow! Haven't been able to access the forum in a while from my computer, but for some reason my son's computer will let me. Weird!!

So my Wegs seems to be flaring - I have an appointment with Dr. Koening at the U of U on November 26th. I have seen my optometrist and an ophthalmologist in the past month. Seems I have severe episcleritis and a blocked tear duct. At this point, the ophthalmologist wants me to see someone with more expertise with Wegs and the eye. He's recommending Casey Eye Clinic in Portland, but was unable to tell me whether or not they have docs who see Wegs patients. No more info forthcoming on that from their call center.

What I'd really like to do is see someone when I go to Utah, but I called today and got a brand new person in their call center who couldn't even spell Wegeners and I got nowhere getting info about eye docs there.

Wondering if anyone has experience (good, bad or otherwise) with eye docs in the NW or Utah.

Thanks!!

Hi,

Below is the name, address and tel. number of a doctor who specializes in inflammatory disorders of the eye. I got his info from a website called iritis.org (which I am a member of). Iritis.org is affiliated with a foundation called the the Ocular Immunology and Uveitis Foundation and the founder (Dr. C. Stephen Foster) of this org (OIUF), is considered to be the top doctor in the field of ocular immunology. I just want to add that Dr. Foster is board certified in rheumatology and ophthalmology and that I've been seeing a fantastic ocular immunologist for four years, who did his fellowship under Dr. Foster.

Below is the info of the doctor in Washington State:

Dr. Russell Van Gelder
Chair, Dept. of Ophthalmology,
UW Medicine
908 Jefferson street, Seattle, Washington
206-744-3225

me2
11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Years ago I was seen many times at the eye clinic at the UW. I received excellent care there. One problem I had was a blocked tear duct that got infected several times.

It then required surgery called a Dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) . That was about 20 years ago and that eye still works good- even though its not under warranty any more.
I still see my rheumatologist there even though its a 100 mile drive one way. I like the UW a lot, especially for complicated problems. I recently had two Rituxan infusions there.

Once seen there, and you find someone you like , you could always ask if they know of someone closer to you.

vdub
11-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Hey, ArlaMo, haven't seen you in a while. I also have trouble getting in.

I can't think that anyone at UW would be anything but superb. Believe my endo teaches at UW on occasion... I have a lot of respect for that school.