PDA

View Full Version : Any members older than 70

rkm001
05-25-2009, 02:15 AM
I want to talk with someone that has been diagnosed after age 70 or anyone age 70 and above to compare progress or not. My Mother does not tolerate the medication Cytoxan very well and has to be on a very low dose now 25mg. She is decreasing in overall health, short term memory loss, which was not prevalent until the treament started.

rkm001
05-30-2009, 01:00 PM
I guess I'm not surprised ive had no comments from this post since the disease does mainly affect ages 30-50 yr olds.

Doug
05-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I guess I'm not surprised ive had no comments from this post since the disease does mainly affect ages 30-50 yr olds.

I'm 61. What has struck me since starting on this forum is how many people in their late teens and early 20's have joined the forum. The range (as far as I know) is 7 to 70, but I believe your mother's case is far more extreme than most in terms of difficulties she's had.

Doug
05-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Select -

Edit
Delete
Delete this message

Thanks, Jack! The pain medication nearly did it's job, but hadn't done anything at the point I typed that idiotic note! Frankly, I'd even forgotten writing it. (The pain medication reference in another entry on some other page - or in some part of my demented brain! I'd forgotten to take two pain medications last night, and have paid for it this morning.) Have to get ready to help elders play BINGO at the care center! Always interesting.

( = {[ ) :D

germaine
05-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi, This is my second try, so if you get duplicates, my apologies. I am sniffing at 70, in July. I was diagnosed last November, and have been on two bouts of treatment, the first having being interrupted when I got down to about the 25 mg mark for the pred. I was taking cyclophosphamide IV, but changed after the relapse to oral procytox, the same thing, different name I think. It has been easy to take and has caused me not problems. I am careful to spred out my medication through the day, and try not to take the chemo and the prednos at the same time. I always take everything with food and lots of water. Right now the doctor has me on an incredibly slow withdrawal plan from the pred. I think as you get older your body may need more time to adjust to the withdrawal, but I am just guessing. I am feeling really good and getting stronger all the time. I did notice the higher doses of pred seemed to fuzzify my thinking. I think both exercise and rest is good. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask. I will answer if I can. Germaine

Sangye
05-31-2009, 10:18 AM
"Sniffing at 70" LOL

JohnL
06-13-2009, 11:44 PM
I am 81 years old - I was dianosed about 6 years ago. Went into remission once and had a flair-up. I have been on pred and cellcept for over two years.
I have severe weakness and am short of breath. Haven't noticed any memory loss but i'm sure there is some