PDA

View Full Version : Immune System Question

TOBEY32
09-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Woke up w/ a sore throat. Want to take some vit C, but supposedly we're not supposed to, though I've heard some people here say they do - as well, as other "immune-enhancing" supplements.
Seems like either everyone can take such things as "C" and other supps, or no one can take them.

Any thoughts?

pberggren1
09-25-2012, 04:24 PM
I think maybe a 1,000mg is okay per day. But maybe 2,000 is prob the limit. Anything over that could be dangerous and may wake up the Wegs dog.

Sangye
09-29-2012, 03:31 AM
It's complicated. On a daily basis 1,000 mg is a reasonable dose, though probably not nearly what our bodies need. You should definitely make sure to eat foods high in C.

If you have an infection your need for C goes much higher, so 1,000 mg is really insufficient. The adrenals need vitamin C to function properly. Not only are they affected by Wegs and pred, but they are stressed more when you're fighting an infection. At the first sign of a scratchy throat or other symptom of a cold, I take an additional 1,000mg. Most of the time that's enough to stop it in its tracks. If I continue to feel under the weather or I actually get sick I continue taking 2,000 mg each day until I recover. I take half in the morning and half in the evening. If you take the increased dose and get diarrhea you need to lower the dose. It's unlikely to happen with such a small dose, but I mention it just in case.

delorisdoe
10-05-2012, 06:49 AM
It's complicated. On a daily basis 1,000 mg is a reasonable dose, though probably not nearly what our bodies need. You should definitely make sure to eat foods high in C.

If you have an infection your need for C goes much higher, so 1,000 mg is really insufficient. The adrenals need vitamin C to function properly. Not only are they affected by Wegs and pred, but they are stressed more when you're fighting an infection. At the first sign of a scratchy throat or other symptom of a cold, I take an additional 1,000mg. Most of the time that's enough to stop it in its tracks. If I continue to feel under the weather or I actually get sick I continue taking 2,000 mg each day until I recover. I take half in the morning and half in the evening. If you take the increased dose and get diarrhea you need to lower the dose. It's unlikely to happen with such a small dose, but I mention it just in case.

he he he...you said diarrhea

Debbie C
10-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Sangye gonna hate this but I started drinking my life water again.It's full of vits. and antioxidents also gator aid on occaission

Sangye
10-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Sangye gonna hate this but I started drinking my life water again.It's full of vits. and antioxidents also gator aid on occaission
Gah! Those vitamins and antioxidants are in their worst form-- basically unusable by the body, and at best imbalancing to other nutrients. Life water is death water. It's Kool Aid with crap added. You're better off drinking plain water with a bit of lemon or lime. :thumbdn:

delorisdoe
10-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Gah! Those vitamins and antioxidants are in their worst form-- basically unusable by the body, and at best imbalancing to other nutrients. Life water is death water. It's Kool Aid with crap added. You're better off drinking plain water with a bit of lemon or lime. :thumbdn:

he he he...you said lemon :)