PDA

View Full Version : Accomplishments

Pmarsh
08-28-2012, 04:55 AM
Hello. I just though I would start a thread highlighting people's accomplishments since being diagnosed. I have a feeling there are many inspiring stories. I know of one person who has climbed Mount Everest. I know of at least one other who has done tremendous work in WG awareness and fundraising. What are your accomplishments, or what goals have you achieved?

Here are some of my accomplishments in the past 2 years:

1. I maintained an optimistic, positive, and happy attitude despite a difficult situation
2. I am still able to physically do everything I did before diagnosis (ski, bike, run, hike, etc)
3. I learned a challenging new sport (kite-surfing)
4. I have traveled to several new countries or regions with highlights being that I skied in the Arctic and hiked the Grand Canyon in a day.

How about you?

Dirty Don
08-28-2012, 06:24 AM
I shot a 76 (golf) nine months out of ICU in 110 degree heat...and I'm still alive!! LOL! What?! It ain't no Grand Canyon, but I feel like I've been in one! LOL...

KathyB
09-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Hmmm...I haven't given any consideration to my "resume" since I'm no longer employed! But I think I can list some accomplishments since dx. Like Don, I'm alive! Been boating and swimming, joined the YMCA, married off my oldest son, sold my house and moved to the OBX, traveled to FL, and have learned how to be a stay-at-home wife after working continuously since I was 16 years old! That's quite a lot now that I look at it!! Thanks for asking!! :biggrin:

KB

Sangye
09-03-2012, 03:14 AM
I'm listing one for each year since dx:

1. I organized and pulled off FOUR house moves with 2 dogs and a cockatiel. During the first move I was still on oxygen and had to close and move my office plus downsize a 3-bedroom home into a 2-room apartment and then sell the house. And one of the moves was cross-country and everyone thought I was gonna die because I drove my own car. LOL

2. I've managed to get up every single day and take care of myself and my 3 animals and our home, despite relentless pain, severe fatigue and weakness, and bouts of lung hemorrhage, vertigo, elevated intracranial pressure, pneumonia, and more!

3. I've done a ton of Buddhist practice-- probably way more than I would have done otherwise, because I have a much deeper appreciation for how short life is.

4. I've kept my sense of humor throughout some pretty dark days.

5. I've made a lot of progress in breaking negative habitual tendencies.

6. I've developed compassion for myself.

Pete
09-03-2012, 03:32 AM
Since retirement (about 10 months prior to dx):
1. Prepared a house for sale and kept it in tip-top shape until it sold.
2. Moved from Massillon to Columbus while my wife was recovering from rotator cuff surgery - no help lifting from her ;-)
3. Dealt with and recovered from wegs onset and a flare and still managed to keep my warped sense of humor (and not have my wife kill me - even though it was sometimes justified).
4. Shot my lifetime low in golf (not nearly as good as Dirty Don, but hey, it's improvement!!).
5. Help my wife provide child care for our grandson five days a week during the school year. (It's amazing how quickly a 9-month old can crawl and how much energy it takes to keep him corralled!!)