PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

gwenllian111
08-28-2012, 02:09 AM
I liked to WG groups on facebook, but if you don't mind i'll keep in touch with you all on here from now on.

Facebook is quite creepy, in my opinion, and I just don't like it.

Good luck if you ever try to delete your account - it's near impossible!

Best wishes,

Gwen

pberggren1
08-28-2012, 08:06 AM
I see you have had some weird experiences as well on the vasculitis groups on facebook Gwen?

gwenllian111
08-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I see you have had some weird experiences as well on the vasculitis groups on facebook Gwen?

Yes, after I was dx, I strongly believed in the afterlife and in guardian angels!

Did you?

mishb
08-28-2012, 06:06 PM
I certainly do love reading some of the replies ........ and questions for that matter :razz::w00t:

I hardly ever answer any of them unless it's something I can help with of course ......or to you or Phil :thumbsup:

pberggren1
08-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Ya, I had some weird experiences and was kicked off a couple of groups.

Lightwarrior
08-31-2012, 05:25 AM
Ya, I had some weird experiences and was kicked off a couple of groups.

Not you my friend, were they crazy?

pberggren1
08-31-2012, 06:52 AM
Not you my friend, were they crazy?

Most certainly.

mishb
08-31-2012, 09:49 AM
I read the one that Phil was kicked out of - things were taken out of context, that's all.

I wish everyone was on here for them to see that some things they are being told on fb, is not necessarily the best advice.........or is the best advice, but they don't want to take it on board anyway :unsure:
.......but it is facebook

pberggren1
08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
I know what you mean Michelle. I know 2 other people that were kicked off that one group too through no fault of their own. That is why I like this group much better. The people are AWESOME and the Admin is one SWEET DUDE.

drz
08-31-2012, 08:57 PM
The main complaint i heard about FaceBook was people having their email accounts hacked after they signed up and all their contacts getting spammed. Was it a requirement to use FB that they got access to your contact list and did your contacts end up getting lots of spam email?

Sangye
09-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm on FB but only have a limited number of people I follow. I don't spend that much time on it. I spend lots of time on Twitter, which I prefer because you can have real-time conversations.

pberggren1
09-01-2012, 05:01 PM
I tried twitter a few times but just couldn't catch on to it. I have over 300 friends again on facebook. I didn't know twitter had chat as well. I chat all the time on facebook in real-time.

annekat
09-01-2012, 07:52 PM
The main complaint i heard about FaceBook was people having their email accounts hacked after they signed up and all their contacts getting spammed. Was it a requirement to use FB that they got access to your contact list and did your contacts end up getting lots of spam email? That didn't happen in my case, that I know of. No evidence of access to my personal email account or contacts. But weird stuff happens within FB, such as messages coming from friends who didn't really send them, about stuff like whether I want to stay on their friends list, other annoying stuff, not usually spam. Just haven't gotten around to trying Twitter.... might do it.

gwenllian111
09-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Sangye - what's your twitter name?

Mine is @gwenllian111 if anyone wants to follow me and I can follow back.

Thanks!!!

Sangye
09-03-2012, 03:27 AM
I tried twitter a few times but just couldn't catch on to it. I have over 300 friends again on facebook. I didn't know twitter had chat as well. I chat all the time on facebook in real-time.
Phil, Twitter IS chat. But better, because you can chat with a gazillion people at once. It's really incredible.

Sangye
09-03-2012, 03:37 AM
Sangye - what's your twitter name?

Mine is @gwenllian111 if anyone wants to follow me and I can follow back.

Thanks!!!
Cool, I'll follow you, Gwenn!

I'm @SangyeH. Be warned potential followers: on Twitter I talk about politics a LOT. Not everyone's cup of tea!

I find Twitter an excellent way to meet people, learn about others, stay informed (breaking news appears on Twitter minutes or even hours before it shows up on mainstream news), and develop mindfulness. And it's just plain fun.

annekat
09-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I think I'll have to try Twitter and follow you, Sangye, to see what you have to say about politics and other non-Weggie things! Will publish my user name once I get signed up.

pberggren1
09-03-2012, 01:20 PM
If twitter is just chat then it sounds pretty boring....lol. I guess that is why it didn't like it.

Sangye
09-03-2012, 02:49 PM
It's not just chat. It's totally different. People share things and talk in real time, which is what I meant by it being chat. On FB you post things that people see later. Sometimes you're on at the same time and comment back and forth, but mostly it doesn't happen in real time. Not everyone likes Twitter though. It can be overwhelming in the beginning.

annekat
09-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Well, I signed up for Twitter and my username is @AnneKatwoman . I found people I know who Tweet. I saw about a zillion tweets from Sangye. I instantly got a follower I didn't know, a woman who is into some stuff of a sexual nature. I blocked her. I don't know when I will actually tweet. I can see how it could be time consuming. But I think it will be fun when I become more familiar with how it works.

Sangye
09-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Are you sure that's your username? It didn't come up in any searches. (BTW, capitalization doesn't matter in usernames, even if you created it that way.)

It takes time to learn the ins and outs. Once you do that, you can go on for just 10 minutes and do a lot.

annekat
09-04-2012, 03:04 AM
Are you sure that's your username? It didn't come up in any searches. (BTW, capitalization doesn't matter in usernames, even if you created it that way.)

It takes time to learn the ins and outs. Once you do that, you can go on for just 10 minutes and do a lot.I will check it out and see if I goofed it somehow..... I also tweeted Gwen so she would know who the crazy katwoman was on her followers list. Good to know about the capitaliztion.

annekat
09-04-2012, 03:41 AM
Sangye- Yes, my username is @AnneKatwoman . My real name is Anne K Wellings, which also appears on there. I searched myself under the username and it came up, and I found the tweet I sent to Gwen under that name.

pberggren1
09-04-2012, 08:21 AM
I tried the twitter thing again. I think I will just stay with facebook and other sites and such.

annekat
09-04-2012, 08:24 AM
I tried the twitter thing again. I think I will just stay with facebook and other sites and such. Well, Sangye says it's not for everyone. I think the experience would be easiest to absorb by starting out slow and not following very many people or things. The good thing about any of these social networking sites is that you can participate as little or as much as you want, or not at all, once you sign up.

Sangye
09-05-2012, 04:35 AM
It was great tweeting with you last night, Anne!

annekat
09-05-2012, 06:01 AM
It was great tweeting with you last night, Anne! Yep, that was fun! Now I know what you are doing when you are not on here.:cool1:

gwenllian111
09-06-2012, 06:45 AM
I like twitter - but I don't understand it fully, with all the hashtags and things. This is the best forum by far in my option :)

annekat
09-06-2012, 07:04 AM
I like twitter - but I don't understand it fully, with all the hashtags and things. This is the best forum by far in my option :) Me, too. I'm liking it so far, keeping it simple so I'm not spending too much time on there. I haven't figured out all the ins and outs, either.

Sangye
09-12-2012, 02:34 PM
The hashtags are half the fun of Twitter. Their original use is to tag a tweet with certain labels so you could read all the tweets with that label or make sure others who are reading a label see your tweet. For example, animal lovers use #anipals on tweets about animal rescue and other animal-related tweets. In the Search box, you can type in #anipals and see all the tweets that are using that hashtag. It can help you find like-minded people to follow.

The other use for hashtags is adding comments, like writing something in parenthesis. It can turn a regular tweet into something hilarious. Every so often I use one that has been around awhile, like "I gotta go pick up the dog poo in the yard. #livingthedream "

And then there are the hashtag games. Someone will start a hashtag and everyone joins in. Many are political, but not all. Some turn out to be surprisingly funny, like #AddInPantsToMovie, which produced Jaws In Pants, Life is Beautiful In Pants, and Must Love Dogs In Pants. ROTFL

Lightwarrior
09-13-2012, 04:59 AM
I get lost when I go to my twitter account and am not sure if I am posting or not. I need a twitter down and dirty because I think I would love tweeting.

annekat
09-13-2012, 05:40 AM
I get lost when I go to my twitter account and am not sure if I am posting or not. I need a twitter down and dirty because I think I would love tweeting. Light, my Twitter username is @AnneKatwoman and my real name on there is Anne K. Wellings. See if you can find me, follow me, and send me a tweet! I'm beginning to see the fun of Twitter with the help of Sangye and her numerous tweets.

If you reply to a tweet, by hovering below it and clicking reply, if you click retweet (shows up as RT in tweets), or if you start your own tweet, you should be able to see your post and know that you are tweeting! Beyond that, I'm still a newbie at it....

malin
09-15-2012, 03:47 AM
The hashtags are half the fun of Twitter. Their original use is to tag a tweet with certain labels so you could read all the tweets with that label or make sure others who are reading a label see your tweet. For example, animal lovers use #anipals on tweets about animal rescue and other animal-related tweets. In the Search box, you can type in #anipals and see all the tweets that are using that hashtag. It can help you find like-minded people to follow.

The other use for hashtags is adding comments, like writing something in parenthesis. It can turn a regular tweet into something hilarious. Every so often I use one that has been around awhile, like "I gotta go pick up the dog poo in the yard. #livingthedream "

And then there are the hashtag games. Someone will start a hashtag and everyone joins in. Many are political, but not all. Some turn out to be surprisingly funny, like #AddInPantsToMovie, which produced Jaws In Pants, Life is Beautiful In Pants, and Must Love Dogs In Pants. ROTFL

OMG Thank you Sangye!
I have to admit, I don't understand Twitter but that made some of it a little bit clearer! lol I am usually very computer savvy n stuff but I just can't get my head around twitter for some reason. :/
Like what's up with all the "trending" stuff? Might have to google for a twitter-for-dummies guidebook :p

Sangye
09-15-2012, 04:41 AM
Trending means that a particular hashtag, name or topic is being tweeted about A LOT on a particular day.

Twitter uses some bizarre way of calculating it, so even if a gazillion people continue using a hashtag it doesn't trend again. Supposedly. Some people believe that Twitter manipulates it to either block or repeat a topic. Like right now there's one called #tcot which stands for Top Conservatives On Twitter. That hashtag is used all day every day by conservatives and everyone who tweets political stuff. I can't believe Twitter would put it as a trending topic. I'm not into conspiracies, but hey. :glare:

Looking at the trending topics (for your country or the world) can give you an idea of what large numbers of people are focused on at the moment. Some of them are idiotic, like #ItemsInJustinBiebersFridge, some are political, some are hilarious. You can find hashtag games there, though they don't always trend. You can start a hashtag game, too and see if it trends.

I rarely look at the trending topics because seeing tweets by my followers alerts me to the hot topics.

Sangye
09-15-2012, 04:43 AM
...Sangye and her numerous tweets.

LOL I'm nearly at 100,000! I will be asking for cookie prizes when that happens.

Sangye
09-15-2012, 04:48 AM
I get lost when I go to my twitter account and am not sure if I am posting or not. I need a twitter down and dirty because I think I would love tweeting.
You can see your own tweets by going to your Profile page. If you're on your Home page, click on your name right by your avatar. On any page, click on the little head in the black bar at the top (right side), then select your Profile page.

If you're on your Home page and you send a tweet, it will immediately show up as the first tweet on the page. However, other tweets were coming in while you were typing your tweet, so to see your tweet you have to click on the New Tweets bar at the top of the tweets. (It'll say something like 10 New Tweets)

Dirty Don
09-15-2012, 08:44 AM
(It'll say something like 10 New Tweets) ... Oh, weewee? Didn't know it was Halloweenie alweady!! Sorry, dumb, but i couldn't pass it up...tweet~~~~~~~

pberggren1
09-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Okay.....I think we need a site psychiatrist now......lol.

annekat
09-15-2012, 10:55 AM
LOL, Don......

Sangye
09-17-2012, 07:44 AM
(It'll say something like 10 New Tweets)
LOL "Newbie"

carriej22
09-17-2012, 07:57 AM
I want in on all this twitter! I don't really get it.. though... LOL

It confuses the heck out of me. I am @carriej_22... My name shows up as Carrie Jardine which is my maiden name.. have to fix that!

I can promise cute puppy/kitty/fishy tweets.. :)

Sangye
09-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Here's Twitter in a nutshell:
You tweet (say) something.
Other people retweet (repeat) it.
You read tweets you like and either move on to the next one or retweet them to share.

Ba-da-bing. :biggrin1:

Sangye
09-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Note: I never talk about this forum (or mention that I belong to one) on Twitter. Our stalkers are still quite active and read all of my tweets. I don't wanna give them any ideas. :glare:

Sangye
09-17-2012, 08:16 AM
I want in on all this twitter! I don't really get it.. though... LOL

It confuses the heck out of me. I am @carriej_22... My name shows up as Carrie Jardine which is my maiden name.. have to fix that!

I can promise cute puppy/kitty/fishy tweets.. :)
I followed you! If my gazillion political tweets get to you, I won't be offended if you unfollow :biggrin1:

carriej22
09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
I found you! You are like a twitter celebrity!

I'm pretty chill... not much gets to me!

I follow howie mandell... no one can tweet as much as that man.. LOL

Sangye
09-17-2012, 08:30 AM
LOL I am definitely not a celebrity but I do enjoy myself. I am famous for how much time I spend on there among my friends. My sangha calls me the Twitter Queen. Last Halloween I dressed up as TQ for our party and had a blast. I stayed in character the entire night.

pberggren1
09-17-2012, 10:27 AM
What does a Twitter Queen look like?

Sangye
09-17-2012, 11:38 AM
I made my costume. It was hilarious-- I even made a crown using the Twitter logo. There was glitter involved. So much glitter.

annekat
09-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Note: I never talk about this forum (or mention that I belong to one) on Twitter. Our stalkers are still quite active and read all of my tweets. I don't wanna give them any ideas. :glare: Good advice. I mentioned it once or twice, won't do it again.

Sangye
09-17-2012, 02:58 PM
LOL that's why I didn't respond to it. No worries :wink1:

annekat
09-18-2012, 02:03 AM
I found you! You are like a twitter celebrity!

I'm pretty chill... not much gets to me!

I follow howie mandell... no one can tweet as much as that man.. LOL I'll tweet more now that you're on there, with non political stuff! I don't have many following me so sometimes I think, why bother tweeting when three people will see it? However, it grows.

carriej22
09-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Haha I have like 10 followers. I feel your pain! I tweeted baby fishies.. :)

annekat
09-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Just today, I started really having fun on Twitter, though it WAS mostly political. A lot has been going on that is fun to make fun of. If you aren't into political stuff so much, you can find people to follow who are interested in the same things you are.

Sangye
09-29-2012, 04:03 AM
Carrie, if you add my name to your tweet it'll show up in my Mentions. Then I can see your baby fishies