08-19-2012, 07:48 PM
hi,

went out with a friend as she suggested to have another opinion

has anybody had a second opinion?

janet

mishb
08-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Hi Janet,

My guess would be that if the blood results show signs a vasculitis and if you have had a biopsy of some sort to confirm WG, then a second opinion wouldn't necessarily be required. What is required is that you see someone that has treated many cases of WG and vasculitis and that you are not his/her first patient.

Our major hospitals, Alfred, Austin, Monash all see many cases and you can easily get your gp to write a referral for you. It does take a few months to get in though. Sandringham is part of the Alfred so they may have someone there or they will refer you to the city one.

A lot of friends mean well and they are only trying to get the best for you.

I saw a private ENT who then referred me to a public ENT (his son) who then referred me to the Alfred ENT department who then referred me to the Alfred Rheumatology Dept and so on, so I guess I have had a few more than a 2nd opinion, all in all.

Take care

KathyB
08-20-2012, 02:52 AM
I think you nailed it, Michelle. I'm confident with MCV, my diagnosis, and doctors, but now I have to decide what's next for my treatment. My doctor admits to wanting to discuss it with his buddies at UNC. I appreciate this approach. Aside from the big centers, are their any doctors who see a lot of WGs?

KB

greenjanet
08-20-2012, 02:05 PM
dr michael gingold works at the alfred i said there was only 5 weggies in melbourne he said and many more, havent found this site yet.
he doesnt want to do a biopsy as everything is stable at present. see him in 2 months and lower preg to 7.5mg and 20 metho.

mishb
08-20-2012, 09:24 PM
I haven't come across his name yet, but he is correct.........when I first asked how many they see.....I was told "hundreds".....scary thought.

Sometimes when I'm in the waiting room and try and pick out who might also be there with WG ........is it you, nah, maybe you
It's a good guessing game to take away some boredom :biggrin1:

greenjanet
08-21-2012, 07:25 AM
what 100s WGs

mishb
08-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Yep, 100's.
I tried to get the number out of ENT and he also just said......"hundreds sounds about right" :glare:

Barbara N
04-02-2013, 06:30 PM
I have seen many doctors and been to many hospitals and have yet to find one that has dealt with WG. I have had some great doctors and some very good treatment though and when I read some of the case histories here I think I was given pretty much the same treatment as the majority of you and I stayed on it for about 6 years bit the medication was killing me, I feel so much better but I never did find anything out about WG even from the vasculits foundation or the rare disease foundation over here. I am learning more from this forum than I have in the years >I have had this disease.