PDA

View Full Version : News of our beloved Al -- sent from his wife, Eileen

KathyB
07-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Today I received an email from Al's wife, Eileen, with devastating news...please see below:

My heart is breaking as I write to tell you that Al died Tuesday after a swift, massive, lethal infection hit him Sunday afternoon. ICU drs did everything they could--full life support and then some (giving sometimes more than maximum doses). They could not get ahead of the infection.

If you could please handle the process of full notification of the Wegener's online community, I would be so grateful. Our hands are so full with the arrangements which follow a death.

I also was wondering if you or someone else in the community would write a short piece to be read at his memorial service. It was clear to me that Al was helpful to many people. Some words from you would be so appropriate at the service.

I hope that your own situation will have a positive outcome and I wish you all the best in your dispute. I know Al would have continued to do whatever he could to help you. Working on what he sent to you was the last thing he did on Saturday.

With thanks to you and the whole W's community for embracing Al as he fought his battle with Wegener's,

Eileen Swanson (Mrs Al)

I had written Al for his wisdom and knowledge as I am working through denial for disability in our Virginia Retirement System. His words were comforting and rang true -- now more than ever. WG is always knocking at the door. I trust he has found the panacea we all hope to achieve as our life ends. He was such an inspiration. Our WG community has lost a dear friend. Does anyone live near Al? Would someone like to honor him with words from our WG community at his funeral as Eileen as requested? I'm not sure what to do next ...just so incredibly grateful for Al's friendship.

KB

Lightwarrior
07-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I am sitting here at my desk in utter shock. I just ordered one of the books that Al recommended from his vacation for my Kindle and I was looking forward to dialoguing with him. I am reminded at how fragile we all are because of our disease. I am hearing Jack's voice in my head telling me how sneaky Wegs is. I know that I will write more later when I have time to really come to grips with this news. To Eileen, thank you so much for sharing Al with all of us, I remember outing him as a teddy bear rather than a grouch. I believe that he would have given anything to any one of us to make our journey more bearable. Please let us know what we can do to make your sad journey more bearable. Al, I honor that place within you that guided us and gave us honor, light and knowledge. Godspeed

Dirty Don
07-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Eileen, my heart and consolations go out to you and yours in this time. Al, god speed my friend, and thank you for all that you've done...

crackers
07-28-2012, 11:30 AM
i'm sat here with tears in my eyes in a state of shock.we are all aware of how unpredictable this disease can be but this has shook me to my core.my heart goes out to the family and friends at such a sad loss.i don't know what to say as i can't take this in.
john.

pberggren1
07-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Oh my goodness! I was wondering where Al was. This is so sad.

Sangye
07-28-2012, 12:32 PM
An email from Phil alerted me to this news just now. Like all of you, I just can't believe it. How utterly heartbreaking to lose a good friend. My condolences to you and Al's family, Eileen. Please know that Al was very much loved in our group. He brought comfort to many members and helped educate others. I will keep Al in my prayers.

Has someone let Andrew know?

pberggren1
07-28-2012, 01:10 PM
I just sent a message to Andrew.

annekat
07-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Oh, what a shock.... I haven't even read all the replies yet before writing this. This makes me so very sad. To answer your question, Kathy, there are a few of us who live in Al's state, including me, and I actually met him about 5 weeks ago, as I reported on the forum. I know he had communicated a fair amount with Kirk (me2) who lives near me. Also, Jolanta lives in BC but probably closest to Al of all, geographically. My heart goes out to Eileen and their kids, and the new expected grandchild. I'm not sure how I can help any more than anyone else can, but am open to any possibilities. I think the idea of someone here writing something to be read at his memorial is a great one, and I can think of several articulate and caring people who could, particularly the ones who had established a special rapport with him. A lot of his scientific and philosophical talk was a bit over my head, but I think there are others who were a little more on par with him intellectually. Of course that isn't to say he always talked that way; he gave plenty of everyday sensible advice to many of us, backed by his knowledge, and dispensed in plain English, with humor whenever it was fitting. His caring for all of us was always evident.

I need to let this sink in, and will check back later. I hope you are reading these posts, Eileen, or will do so when you are ready, and will share anything you want whenever you are ready to. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you when I met Al.

andrew
07-28-2012, 02:38 PM
That's a complete shock. So sudden. We've lost a great contributor to this group. Thanks Al for being you.

Dirty Don
07-28-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't know if this is appropriate or not, sheds light or not, but this quote is part of a PM I'd been sharing with Al just 2 weeks ago:

"...I hope I am not going the other direction. Might just be the heat (80 degrees), but I find it hard to do anything these days..."

Sighs...wipes tears away...love ya all...

mishb
07-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I, like everyone else on this site, am sitting here with tears rolling down my face and not being able to see clearly to type.

I have said this so many times before.....but this is such a sucky disease.

People ask me, how can you have such a friendship with these people that you haven't met and live over the other side of the world from.......but you know what, it is true, I don't have a friendship with these people.......these people are family.

May your God bless you Al and may you be, forever, free from pain.

annekat
07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't know if this is appropriate or not, sheds light or not, but this quote is part of a PM I'd been sharing with Al just 2 weeks ago:

"...I hope I am not going the other direction. Might just be the heat (80 degrees), but I find it hard to do anything these days..."

Sighs...wipes tears away...love ya all... Don, you might be a good person to write something for Al's memorial.

annekat
07-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Don, you might be a good person to write something for Al's memorial. Not to exclude anyone else who might want to step up and do this! Or we could collect thoughts from various forum members and consolidate them somehow. I just thought of Don because I remember lots of spirited exchanges between him and Al.

chrisTIn@
07-28-2012, 08:31 PM
My deepest condolences to Eileen Swanson and the family.
I'm so sorry for your loss...

crackers
07-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi this is Sue John's wife,I never had the pleasure of chatting to Al and getting to know him but he really made a big impression on my husband i came down at 2am this morning to find John sobbing his heart out at the loss of his online friend.You are a really special man Al who will be greatly missed in this household.Now for Andrew we would really love to send a card to this incredible mans family and maybe put some money towards some flowers from the group but i don't know how we could sort this or if it is possible to arrange.John is going in hospital on Monday morning for his hip replacement but i will pop onto the group each day to see what is happening and to let you know how john is.R.I.P. Al <3

KathyB
07-28-2012, 10:09 PM
I wake up this morning feeling just as sad as I was yesterday hearing the news of Al's passing. I decided to go back and read some of his previous posts, including his story. What a brilliant man with a gift for sharing in a way we could all relate. Technical, yet filled with insights and examples to help us understand. If possible, let's figure out who would like to create some words for his funeral ASAP. It's great that some of you are in the PNW. Is Al's email known to all? I'm emailing Eileen now. Hopefully, she has access to the forum and can view your postings and well wishes.

KB

Widthofacircle
07-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Very sad news. Condolences to Al,s family and loved ones.
Brendan

renidrag
07-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Just learned the news now. So sorry for the family and like all others here will miss his support, knowledge and wit. His writing style kept me reading almost every one of his posts. So long my friend, so sad, so sudden.
Dale

drz
07-29-2012, 12:45 AM
What a sad thing. I was just thinking of sending him a message to check on how he was doing. I remember when we shared stories about our Wegener's and i encouraged him to share his story on the forum. He did in a very powerful way. He also encouraged me to share mine too. I think we all counted on Al to give us a more scientific slant on many of our common issues and to help us keep abreast of latest research findings.

I especially appreciated his humorous quips and comments and willingness to go out of his way to offer a detailed explanation to many questions and efforts to make it simple enough for most of us to understand. Many times the comment was made here as to Al can provide more details and information on many technical issues of our disease and treatment. His contributions will be greatly missed.

His time on the forum was way too brief but he lead the way in his involvement. No one posted more posts per day than Al. His sudden passing also strongly reminds us of how fragile life can be especially with our compromised immune systems. I believe Al was a great example on how to try make the best of our situation and to live life as fully as possible. I know we all here have a great sense of sadness and loss over his death even though most of us never met him except on line. So I can't imagine the grief his family must feel over his sudden passing. I hope there is a way to express our condolences to the family and the gratitude for the contributions he made here.

I think one of last posts made to another member here are also his words to us to help us deal with our grief at this sad time:
"Courage does come hard, but think of how brave you must be just to live--and think of those you are living for.Even more reason to take extra care of yourself. We love you."

Al

KathyB
07-29-2012, 01:12 AM
Well said, drz. I, too, remember that quote. Perhaps it can be a part of our tribute to him...

KB

rif
07-29-2012, 03:23 AM
Such sad news, my deepest condolences to Eileen and all the family.

Rif

Dirty Don
07-29-2012, 08:35 AM
OK, I've settled some, enough to get this out of my system and on board...it helps...

Ode for Al:

Melancholia Musica

Pining boughs among wayward winds

Skyward above verdancy supreme,

Waftings of briny bottle green seas

And the simple music of the forests.

Tell me, Tell me true...

Is this me, or is this you?

Rubbled roads wound in the islands

Amid spaces of such a simple life,

Traced with steps of wearied legs

Born of travails and journeys long.

Call me, Call me too...

Is this for me, or you?

Hands of help along this path wave,

Entreaties entire listen to close words

Of offering and jagged realities.

Time is simple essence of life's presence.

I'm Pending, following too...

This is for me, and always... you...

Pete
07-29-2012, 08:46 AM
OK, I've settled some, enough to get this out of my system and on board...it helps...

Ode for Al:

Melancholia Musica

Pining boughs among wayward winds

Skyward above verdancy supreme,

Waftings of briny bottle green seas

And the simple music of the forests.

Tell me, Tell me true...

Is this me, or is this you?

Rubbled roads wound in the islands

Amid spaces of such a simple life,

Traced with steps of wearied legs

Born of travails and journeys long.

Call me, Call me too...

Is this for me, or you?

Hands of help along this path wave,

Entreaties entire listen to close words

Of offering and jagged realities.

Time is simple essence of life's presence.

I'm Pending, following too...

This is for me, and always... you...

Don,

Well done

Pete

RudiK
07-29-2012, 10:24 AM
This news is very difficult to accept. When I was first diagnosed about 15 months ago, Al was there with suggestions of what to do, what not to do, what to ask the doctors and what to expect. He was here almost every day for all of us with suggestions and interpretations of what some test results meant and didn't mean, and how to follow up with our doctors.
This forum has lost one of its big contributors, I will miss him to no end.
Eileen, please accept my condolences, my prayers will be with you, your family and with Al.

Al, rest in peace, my friend.

annekat
07-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Don, your Ode to Al is beautiful. It also reminds me of my father who lived in the San Juans, too, and passed away just before my Wegs dx last year. I will print it and put it up near my computer. It brings tears to my eyes, which is something I've needed sorely for the past year, and it will help me to properly grieve for both my father and for Al. They shared some interests and would have liked each other.

marta
07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Wow. What do you say? I've been staying off my computer and haven't seen much of anything for a while and Brian showed me this yesterday and I haven't shaken that horrible just kicked in the stomach feeling since then. This thing took him from us way too fast. We still had things to do and conversations to have. I'm shaken to the core, and am having a hard time accepting it.

Al is a person I strive to emulate. He is loving, caring, exceptionally generous with his time, knowledge and compassion. I feel so much richer having gotten to know him in the last year, and feel like he's a very close friend despite never having met him in person. What a crazy place we all inhabit here full of love and life and struggle, and survival and death. The last one especially sucks when the spirit still has so much left to do here. But Al lives in all of us now and just like with Jack, I will think from now on, what would Al do, what would he say, how would he handle this? I'm richer and better because I met Al, and he was an influence on me.

Rest in peace my friend, and no more pain. See you on the flip side.

Rose
07-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Such a shock this morning finding out about the death of Al here on the forum. Condolences to his family and friends His wisdom, knowledge, humour, compassion, advice and friendship will be sorely missed,

annekat
07-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Marta, earlier on, Kathy B suggested someone could write a statement on our behalf to be read at Al's memorial. What you wrote says it all and I think it would qualify, with some editing, maybe. Just an idea, doesn't have to happen.... In any case, we are all looking for the right words to say how we feel, and yours are a welcome addition to those already spoken.

KathyB
07-30-2012, 03:24 AM
It sure sums up how we all feel along with Don's ode. I've not heard back yet from Eileen but will share our forum posts with her if she cannot access. I woke up this morning sad but with much more hope. I know Al is no longer in pain and still yearn for his words, but realize we are all better for knowing him. He still lives within us -- what a blessing! Thanks to all during this difficult time.

KB

pberggren1
07-30-2012, 05:26 PM
I understand death very well, but none the less I still find Al's passing very hard to deal with. He will be missed forever.

I have known 12 other Weggies that have passed away in the past few months. I have also had 9 other good friends pass away in the last 2 years. I could not go to my one friend's funeral last month because of a medical appointment and that was hard to accept. But I know he understands why I could not come.

MCC
07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Oh what a shock. So sorry to Al's friends and family.

HopeinTN
07-31-2012, 05:55 AM
Oh no. My hearts breaks at this news. He was so funny, warm, caring... Always having the answer to any question. He will be missed by so many. I will keep his family in my heart. So truly sad.

JanW
07-31-2012, 05:55 AM
So sorry to hear this news. My prayers are with Al's wife and family.

BrianR
07-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Since reading on July 28 about Al's passing I have delayed in sending a response. I am still at a loss for words. Among many other things, Al was a very clear thinker, an accomplished essayist and one who was sincerely interested in everyone's well being. His private e-mails to us, and I am sure to many others, were always very helpful, thoughtful, thorough and above all else, personal. He was a very good friend I never met face-to-face.

I had things I planned on saying to and sharing with Al but well...there was always tomorrow. I am about to hit submit on this post knowing full well that Al would be the first to respond were he still in this world. Now, like the rest of us I can only imagine..."what would Al have said and done"?

God speed my friend thank you for all your help!

My deepest condolences to Eileen and the rest of Al's family whom he clearly cared so deeply for.

Brian

freakyschizogirl
07-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Once again i am in shock as to how quickly someone can be taken from this world from complications relating to WG.

Like someone else has stated a few things Al said often went over my head but i was always greatful for his contributions to any subject i needed help or clarification with. He was definitely the brains of the group and will be missed.

I dont quite know what to say!

Natalie
07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
condolences to Al's Family and Friends what a shock ! very sad RIP Al

watersedge
07-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Checked my emails last night and saw a notification from Drz regarding Al. My heart skipped a beat when I read about it. Although I don't be on the forum much anymore, I do know that he seemed to be a very kind, giving man with a lot of knowledge which he shared with everybody along with sound advice and kind words. He gave a lot of his time to trying to help others and I always noticed how he replied to everybody which does really help to make people feel that they are being listened to and to help make them feel more welcome and included in the group which he did magnificently. Without people like Al, the forum would not be a success as you need a certain number of people to be the glue in the group, bonding everybody together. I feel for his family, it is those that are left behind that have to live each day in pain. I hope he did not suffer and that he had a chance to say goodbye to his family especially when it was so sudden. Another life lost to this evil disease. I am sure he will be sadly missed by all he tried to help and for a lot of people who considered him a friend and comrade in the fight against wegeners. May he rest in peace.

watersedge
07-31-2012, 11:11 PM
" To live in the hearts of those you loved is never to die."

drz
08-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Checked my emails last night and saw a notification from Drz regarding Al. My heart skipped a beat when I read about it. Although I don't be on the forum much anymore, I do know that he seemed to be a very kind, giving man with a lot of knowledge which he shared with everybody along with sound advice and kind words. He gave a lot of his time to trying to help others and I always noticed how he replied to everybody which does really help to make people feel that they are being listened to and to help make them feel more welcome and included in the group which he did magnificently. Without people like Al, the forum would not be a success as you need a certain number of people to be the glue in the group, bonding everybody together. I feel for his family, it is those that are left behind that have to live each day in pain. I hope he did not suffer and that he had a chance to say goodbye to his family especially when it was so sudden. Another life lost to this evil disease. I am sure he will be sadly missed by all he tried to help and for a lot of people who considered him a friend and comrade in the fight against wegeners. May he rest in peace.

This sounds like a great summary and tribute to Al. There are several other good quotes in here that the family could also use to give a sense of how we felt about Al and his sudden departure from us.

annekat
08-01-2012, 04:00 AM
This sounds like a great summary and tribute to Al. There are several other good quotes in here that the family could also use to give a sense of how we felt about Al and his sudden departure from us. I agree. This is a concise and complete expression of what Al meant to our forum and to us as individuals.

annekat
08-01-2012, 04:09 AM
I keep thinking about the grandchild who is due soon, Al and Eileen's first. When Al was showing me around the governor's mansion here in Olympia, WA, we were looking at the governor's family pictures on the wall and discussing the recent announcement that the governor, too, is expecting her first grandchild (or maybe he/she has already been born.... I have trouble keeping track). Al was saying, as he said on the forum also, that he wasn't sure he knew how to be a grandpa. All I could tell him was what I think others on here told him, that I was sure it would come naturally and he would be great at it. I am sad that Al and the new grandchild won't get to know each other. But it's comforting to know that some of Al will be passed along through that child and future generations.

Rose
08-01-2012, 04:43 AM
Obituary: Swanson, Albert George (http://bonneywatson.com/obituaries/detail.html?id=4298)

Came across Al's obituary today. What an amazing man. Thought I would share

annekat
08-01-2012, 05:10 AM
Thank you so much for that, Rose! Now we know when the memorial will be (Aug. 5th), and where. I don't think I will attend, but I'm sure the place will be packed. The guest book on the site is a great way for us to share our individual thoughts and condolences with the family. And what a great and interesting write-up about Al.

Lightwarrior
08-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Obituary: Swanson, Albert George (http://bonneywatson.com/obituaries/detail.html?id=4298)

Came across Al's obituary today. What an amazing man. Thought I would share

Thank you Rose for sharing, you can click on this link and write a message to the family in the online guestbook if you wish.

Psyborg
08-01-2012, 11:04 PM
I've not been following the forum as closely lately and this certainly is a shock. My condolences and prayers to Al's family.

Brooke
08-03-2012, 03:11 AM
I too have not been following the forum much. Very sorry to hear about Al. :sad:

mama2005
08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
So sad to hear of this news. He contributed so much. Prayers to his friends and family.

elephant
08-06-2012, 10:06 AM
I just heard the news and I'm shocked and saddened. He was such a great knowlegdeable guy and cared so much for everyone. I have not been on this forum that much lately. So sorry for your loss.

Debbie C
08-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I haven't been on here lately either and just found out and immediatly starting crying. I, like everyone else, will miss Al and his words of wisdom. He helped me out so much to understand the different tests and what to look for when I was first dxd and scared. It's just so hard to believe. Things won't be the same

jola57
08-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I am saddened by Al's passing. This forum has had it's share of grief with the passing of such friends like Jack and Al. In my busy life I read our forum but rarely answer, because we have grown so big, I find it hard to read all the entries in the little time I have. To all my friends, I think of you often and thank everyday that we have found each other. I couldn't have made it this far in the wonderfuly happy state of mind that I am in without your knowledge, handholding, kindness, friendship and humour. Thank you.

Lightwarrior
08-07-2012, 03:07 AM
I am saddened by Al's passing. This forum has had it's share of grief with the passing of such friends like Jack and Al. In my busy life I read our forum but rarely answer, because we have grown so big, I find it hard to read all the entries in the little time I have. To all my friends, I think of you often and thank everyday that we have found each other. I couldn't have made it this far in the wonderfuly happy state of mind that I am in without your knowledge, handholding, kindness, friendship and humour. Thank you.
Jolanta,
I also feel like so many of you are more than just responders on a forum. Therefore, because we are such good friends we don't have to respond to each post or write every day to prove our loyalty or friendship. We are fine being on and off as needed, that is part of a strong friendship and you Jolanta are a dear friend. Post whenever you want and know that we hold you close at all times.

ArlaMo
08-15-2012, 03:45 AM
I have been unable to access the forum for quite awhile, but Nancy sent me a FB message this morning about Al's passing. My heart hurts over his passing - what a wise and caring man he was. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. And with the whole Wegeners community as we mourn a loved member.

NicShaf
08-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Just read the sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to Al's family. how heartbreaking.

ashb17
08-17-2012, 10:00 AM
I also haven`t been on in awhile and just read this =( my deepest condolences to Al`s family. I didn`t know Al all that well but from what I could tell he was a wonderful person who loved helping others. He will always be remember and cherish from the many of us.