PDA

View Full Version : Web site performance possible cause

vdub
07-10-2012, 12:08 AM
I have tried to find any patterns that might help isolate some of the web site problems and I think I found one. I can usually connect and open messages that are short threads, but the system bombs out on threads that have been going on for a very long time. There are 3 or 4 threads that are exceptionally long.

I think we should abandon the long threads (say those over a 100 responses) and start new ones.

Some forum softwear allows thread lengths to be limited in size. I'm not sure if this softwear does or not, but we can certainly test the theory on our own. As I think about it, it does make sense that the server and softwear would really struggle to index and retrieve the long threads.

RudiK
07-10-2012, 04:21 AM
Your reasoning is definitely possible. My problems occur during the morning hours (I'm in US mountain time zone), when I can't connect at all, which I blame on my ISP or other layers between me and the servers. It is so bad I don't even try anymore to get in during the morning hours.

Dirty Don
07-10-2012, 05:43 AM
Your reasoning is definitely possible. My problems occur during the morning hours (I'm in US mountain time zone), when I can't connect at all, which I blame on my ISP or other layers between me and the servers. It is so bad I don't even try anymore to get in during the morning hours.

I'm in AZ, same time zone essentially...have same morning problem, but usually can get in after going to another site, then back again. I believe it is the servers this site resides on...they get 'choked' at times especially if the server can't carry enough bytes at once, and that depends on who they are tied into for 'worldwide' connections. It's not my ISP as I can get on most anything else at that time, has to be theirs...

andrew
07-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi VDub can you please:
1. Open a DOS prompt and send me the results of: tracert www.wegeners-granulomataosis.com
2. Clear cache and cookies in your browser
3. Open a DOS prompt and send me the results of: tracert www.wegeners-granulomataosis.com
4. See if by some fluke of nature that the threads open up for you

Thanks man!

There's no way to set length of threads in VBulletin. They usually don't start getting crazy until about 10,000 posts in one thread. We're a way of that but can split that Everest one or start a new one and see if it makes a difference.

Sangye
07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't see how long threads could be the problem since I can open them without a hitch. I have no problem loading the website or getting it to work at all.

vdub
07-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Got them in order below. First, trace, then clear cache, second trace. Notice the 66. IP was really long, so did a ping on it. Then did another trace, which was ok. I wonder if putting crudd.net in my hosts file would help?

vdub
07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
The site just choked on me again when opening up the Doctors -- Sydney thread. All I got was a white screen and spinning circle, so I did a tracert and it was just fine. After the tracert was done, IE was still spinning away with no results, but no error either. Kind of weird. I closed down and reconnected with no problem.

andrew
07-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Yo've got some kinky IP addresses in there :) Yes good idea. If you can add crudd.net to your hosts file and see how it goes? Hopefully you didn't yet because by your second post that would mean it didn't work :)

vdub
07-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I haven't added it yet. I uploaded a video of what is happening in addition to sometimes not even being able to find the site. It's a wmv so 78Mb. I can change it to a flash, but I loose a lot of detail.

It's located here http://www.wasem.com/wg/wegs-site.wmv

I'm not sure if others have this problem or not, but you can see that I'm logged on and no problem, go to a message and it won't load. So, go back to forum, try again on different message and same response. Go back in and the third message loads -- go figure. Restart IE and same thing happens.... Really strange....

andrew
07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks man. The WMV will be fine I'll download it when I get home in about 12 hours or so. Do you get the same problem with Firefox or Chrome?

vdub
07-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes, I have tried both firefox and chrome and I have the same issues...

andrew
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Yes, I have tried both firefox and chrome and I have the same issues...

Gaaaa....I'm fast running out of theories. I'll have to think up some more :)

Dirty Don
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
I got one: pull plug, hold out for 30 seconds, then replug...ALWAYS works...doesn't it?!?!?!?! LOL!

pwc51
07-11-2012, 06:46 AM
I have tried a number of options but can find no pattern as to when it will work and when it won't - this type of problem is the worst to solve (like an intermittent problem I have with my car at present!).

annekat
07-11-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't see how long threads could be the problem since I can open them without a hitch. I have no problem loading the website or getting it to work at all. That goes for me, too.

Tippon
07-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm currently having a problem with the 'Newly Diagnosed' thread in New Member Introductions:

http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/new-member-introductions/2558-newly-diagnosed-lots-questions-lots-concerns-slightly-dark.html

I can't access it through a well used Firefox 13.0.1 or a brand new, previously unused Chrome 20.0.1132.47

My current Tracert is attached.

vdub
07-11-2012, 10:04 AM
I can't get into that thread either, but I have no problems with this thread.

andrew
07-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Oh man. This is like WG - no know cure at this stage :)

Got a couple of hunches I'm going to track down today that I noticed in the tracert's. Thanks guys for posting those. If anyone else would like to do the same thing please do. Also include your location I.e. city.

vdub
07-11-2012, 11:13 AM
THANK YOU for working on it and maintaining this site! It's pretty important to a lot of people and I'm not sure everyone knows that you do it as a free service. Thanks very much!

andrew
07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
It's a pleasure :) I'm not here as often as I should be. Life has taken some excellent turns of late so I've been busy elsewhere. I've combed through the DNS on the server and haven't found anything. I've run a DNS cleanup task for the heck of it anyway as well. I'm not expecting any change but it would be nice if there was :) more to come.

vdub
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
With life turning to the better, you stay away all you can! You're a great guy, Andrew!

Tippon
07-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Also include your location I.e. city.

If it helps, I'm in Aberdare, approx 20 miles north of Cardiff, Wales, UK :)

Life has taken some excellent turns of late so I've been busy elsewhere.

Enjoy your life while it's nice. It's too easy to get run down with WG, so make the most of it :thumbup:

vdub
07-12-2012, 03:16 AM
I loaded my hosts file with "96.30.52.120 wegeners-granulomatosis.com" and, even tho I don't think lmhosts is being used anymore, I loaded it with "96.30.52.120 wegeners-granulomatosis.com #PRE". That should make DNS lookups completely unnecessary, right?

I know that the hosts file is being looked at because a trace did report wegeners-granulomatosis.com vice crudd.net. Times were about the same as last night. I'll try various connections throughout the day and see if there is any change. As always, Thanks.....

andrew
07-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah from what I read you're right about the #PRE. Can you also have a run through the event thread and see if it timeout on you again?