PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July

Dryhill
07-04-2012, 06:08 PM
To all my American friends I hope you enjoy your holiday and festivities ............. I am sure someone once told me what it is all about but for some reason I cannot remember. :rolleyes1:

Jim

annekat
07-05-2012, 04:43 AM
To all my American friends I hope you enjoy your holiday and festivities ............. I am sure someone once told me what it is all about but for some reason I cannot remember. :rolleyes1:

Jim It's water under the bridge now, Jim! But we do appreciate our independence, however we got it! Thanks for the good wishes.

Al
07-06-2012, 03:59 PM

JimAh, Jim, I'll remind you: It is all about the art of complaining. The Declaration of Independence celebrates the way we Americans gripe. It lists no fewer than 27 specific grievances (the last time I counted, which was, admittedly, many years ago), and a whole host of minor cavils. As one wit suggested, not "carpe diem", but "carp diem": day of grumbles.

But allow me to note, in passing: those tea-party types who complained about taxation without taxation? They never saw it with representation.....

Al