PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quotes

Dryhill
07-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I just came across the following quote that seems very apt in light of the financial crisis most of the world is in.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

Thomas Jefferson

Jim

annekat
07-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Jim, great idea starting a thread on interesting quotes. I have a couple tacked up behind my computer... here's one:

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted".

​Albert Einstein

annekat
07-02-2012, 01:09 PM
And here's the other one:

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."

Robert Heinlein

Pete
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
"Nobody appreciates change except a baby with a dirty diaper." -- Leonard Hadley, retired CEO Maytag Corporation

Dryhill
07-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Jim, great idea starting a thread on interesting quotes. I have a couple tacked up behind my computer... here's one:

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted".

​Albert Einstein

Great quote.

And here's the other one:

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."

Robert Heinlein

I blame the Egyptians for the arrogant attitude of cats, they (cats) have never forgotten that they were worshipped and many temples were built to venerate them.

"Nobody appreciates change except a baby with a dirty diaper." -- Leonard Hadley, retired CEO Maytag Corporation

Hmmm, I am not sure about this quote. I can remember a few times (or do I mean "phew times") being pleased that I had changed my daughters nappy.

Jim

Lightwarrior
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
A mind, once expanded by knowledge, never returns to its original dimensions – Oliver Wendell Holmes

Dryhill
07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
A mind, once expanded by knowledge, never returns to its original dimensions – Oliver Wendell Holmes

Ahhhhh is that why they call some people "big head"? :razz:

Jim

annekat
07-03-2012, 01:10 PM
[/COLOR]

I blame the Egyptians for the arrogant attitude of cats, they (cats) have never forgotten that they were worshipped and many temples were built to venerate them.

Jim, I know you aren't a big cat enthusiast, but Robert Heinlein liked them and so do I. He often included cats in his writing. Some cats have attitude problems, but in my observation, they are the ones in less than happy circumstances. My cats have soaked up all the love and ear-scratching I've given them and are very sweet and good natured with very few behavior problems. They do like things to be a certain way, but are able to adjust if things are not completely to their liking.

Fran
07-03-2012, 06:05 PM
'Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get '

' You've gotta put the past behind you before you can move on '

Forrest Gump (quoting his Momma )

Fran

Lightwarrior
07-04-2012, 04:50 AM
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Dryhill
07-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Jim, I know you aren't a big cat enthusiast.

I love big cats, but for some reason the local authority will not let me keep a couple of tigers in my seventy foot garden, mind you I am not sure if I could afford to feed them ............. hmmmmmm perhaps if I went back to doing nights I could bring home the odd drunk and introduce him/her to the tigers that should kep the feed costs down.

Seriously I do not mind cats but I am more of a dog person. When my wife left me I had two children, four cats and two dogs to look after and they were all female, was someone trying to make a point?

Jim

annekat
07-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I love big cats, but for some reason the local authority will not let me keep a couple of tigers in my seventy foot garden, mind you I am not sure if I could afford to feed them ............. hmmmmmm perhaps if I went back to doing nights I could bring home the odd drunk and introduce him/her to the tigers that should kep the feed costs down.

Seriously I do not mind cats but I am more of a dog person. When my wife left me I had two children, four cats and two dogs to look after and they were all female, was someone trying to make a point?

Jim
I knew someone who had a lynx and a bobcat in a yard about that size, in a decent sized chain-link enclosure. They were affectionate with people, for the most part. Not as big as the big cats you speak of, though.

I like dogs but I find them to be pretty demanding of attention and too much responsibility for the likes of me. Cats can be left on their own more easily, not that they don't also require responsibility. My cats and I are a good fit; we fulfill each other's needs at home for companionship, cuddling, etc. I would have a dog someday if I ever feel I could do right by it.

mishb
07-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Have just come across this quote on todays calendar page

It is much more important to know what sort of patient has a disease than what sort of disease a patient has........William Osler

Another quote just for Jim and Anne :biggrin1:

If a dog jumps onto your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer.....A.N. Whitehead

annekat
07-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Here's another one about cats and dogs, by Mark Twain, who was obviously a cat lover:

Al
07-06-2012, 04:27 PM

​Albert EinsteinAnne, this reminds me of the first lesson we learned in statistics (actually, it may be the only lesson I remember; the class was at 7:30 in the morning): Figures don't lie, but liars do figure.

Al

pberggren1
07-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Our cat will only sit on peoples laps that are wearing jeans.

annekat
07-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Our cat will only sit on peoples laps that are wearing jeans. That totally cracks me up! Just like some people will only wear jeans. There must be something pretty good about jeans, and cats have good taste.

Dryhill
07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Another quote just for Jim and Anne :biggrin1:

If a dog jumps onto your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer.....A.N. Whitehead

Whenever my maternal 90+ year old grandfather visited us, it would not be long before a cat was asleep on his lap. Because of his age we would wait on him, hardly letting him get up which of course was pure bliss for the cat - a nice warm comfortable lap that did not keep on moving.

Jim

Dryhill
07-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Anne, this reminds me of the first lesson we learned in statistics (actually, it may be the only lesson I remember; the class was at 7:30 in the morning): Figures don't lie, but liars do figure.

Al

I worked in finace for a large multinational company that one year was very concerned about ensuring we had a high dividend to pay to the shareholders. So at the year end rather than doing all the usual accounting work to find what the profit was, the board told us what the profit MUST be and we had to make everything fit with that figure. So Al, a very apt quote.

Jim

annekat
08-16-2012, 05:46 PM
I got this one on Facebook:

KathyB
08-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Here's my favorite quote -- it remained on my email "signature" at work til I retired. Also, had a wall hanging with the quote that I "bequeathed" to my boss (Asst. Superintendent of Instruction). Since then, I've added it to my FB page:

"The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

KB

Lightwarrior
08-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Here's my favorite quote -- it remained on my email "signature" at work til I retired. Also, had a wall hanging with the quote that I "bequeathed" to my boss (Asst. Superintendent of Instruction). Since then, I've added it to my FB page:

"The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

KB

Ahh...Kathy, I love it

fuzzy2
09-23-2012, 10:14 PM
"Torture numbers and they'll confess to anything."