PDA

View Full Version : Visitors!

Sangye
06-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Look who was in my backyard at 10:30 in the morning! Raiding my neighbor's bird feeders.....

He couldn't resist one more nibble before going.

He had a buddy with him, but I only saw his/her butt as they scrambled down the hill. Wish I had a picture of that!

Palmyra
06-24-2012, 07:45 AM
So fabulous to have nature perched at your back door Sangye. I am envious...it looks beautiful!

Sangye
06-24-2012, 07:49 AM
It was incredible. My friend upstairs has seen them in the middle of the night back there (it's about 15 ft from my door) but I hadn't. And it was quite a surprise to see him standing there mid-morning staring back at us! It's such a blessing. After being completely cut off from nature for the past 3.5 years I'm in heaven. (Well, it'd really be heaven without all the east coast bugs. other creepy critters and humidity. And the turtle who walked by a few days ago. Holy smokes. Not a fan of those things.)

pberggren1
06-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Very beautiful. I miss the farm with all the nice birds and deer and foxes. My brother had a pet turtle. Not my favorite animals.

Sangye
06-24-2012, 08:12 AM
I have a lifelong phobia of turtles. Ack, can't even think about them.

pberggren1
06-24-2012, 08:14 AM
For me it is snakes and spiders and most insects.

drz
06-24-2012, 08:58 AM
I have a lifelong phobia of turtles. Ack, can't even think about them.

I saw turtle trying to cross road by my house so after I parked I went back to find him and help to a pond near by but was too late. Another stopped and helped already. I enjoy watching them swim around and sun themselves. The big snapping turtles scare me since they c an easily remove a finger.

Dryhill
06-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Wow Sangye, you are very fortunate to have such a wonderful visitor. Blow watching tv I would be sitting at the window all day long with my field galsses very close to hand, in fact I might even be tempted to do nothing else all day long ....... after all I have WG and cannot do anything can I? Turtles are ok their faces remind me of some of my elderly customers.

Phil, I like snakes but must admit that I am lucky in that we only have one poisonous variety in this country and the Adder is not that deadly. I am not so sure I would like seeing snakes if I were in another country as I would not know which are safe and which to keep well clear of. I do agree with you on spiders and some other insects. but think ladybirds and most butterflys are lovely.

Jim

Sangye
06-24-2012, 02:02 PM
drz, Oh man, I'm getting sweaty palms just reading that. Major phobia.....

Phil, I also dislike reptiles and other amphibians. I don't freak out with insects except on occasion.

Sangye
06-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Jim, there's a nice variety of wildlife in my new backyard. The deer did surprise me, though. A steady stream of people walk their dogs along there during the day!

annekat
06-25-2012, 02:01 AM
I have a lifelong phobia of turtles. Ack, can't even think about them. I guess turtles and owls are kind of in the same category with you! I can't think of a real phobia, just extreme dislike, for slugs, mosquitoes, etc. Although, among mammals, possums give me the creeps, and I don't want to get too close to a bat. Snakes creep me out, too, I guess, and rats, and moles, but those are pretty common ones for creeping people out.

Sangye
06-25-2012, 02:30 AM
I don't have a phobia of owls at all, they just sort of creep me out. I'd call my fear of snakes a phobia though. And the turtle thing-- definitely.

Dirty Don
06-25-2012, 02:31 AM
They're all critters, here long before us...imagine what they think of US! LOL!

Sangye
06-25-2012, 02:42 AM
LOL Exactly, Don.

pberggren1
06-25-2012, 04:41 AM
They probably thought we would never be smart enough to travel across the ocean.....lol.

annekat
06-25-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't have a phobia of owls at all, they just sort of creep me out. I'd call my fear of snakes a phobia though. And the turtle thing-- definitely. Yeah, I should've realized you wouldn't have looked at the ghastly little owlets at all if that had been a real phobia....

Sangye
06-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Oh yeah, definitely not!

Natalie
06-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi Sangye sounds like your in a lovely spot ! would of been a nice sight seeing the deer :)

Lightwarrior
06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
I don't have a phobia of owls at all, they just sort of creep me out. I'd call my fear of snakes a phobia though. And the turtle thing-- definitely.

When I was a small girl my grandmother told me that the world rested on the back of a large turtle, so I have always loved turtles. She also told me that an owl means that someone will die soon. I'm not afraid of owls but my daughters freak out if they see an owl. I literally have to talk them down and remind them that this is legend and superstitions, (except for the turtle of course) not really, I know the world doesn't rest on the back of a turtle. :confused1:

Dryhill
06-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I literally have to talk them down and remind them that this is legend and superstitions, (except for the turtle of course) not really, I know the world doesn't rest on the back of a turtle. :confused1:

Lightwarrior, I hope you are not going to say that Father Christmas, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny don't exist.

Jim

Sangye
06-26-2012, 01:13 PM
LightWarrior, that's a Native American belief, isn't it? I know there are turtle clans but don't remember where they are. And I ain't going looking for them. :wink1:

I've been terrified of turtles from as early on as anyone in my family can remember.

Lightwarrior
06-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Lightwarrior, I hope you are not going to say that Father Christmas, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny don't exist.

Jim

Of course they exist silly

Lightwarrior
06-28-2012, 07:11 AM
LightWarrior, that's a Native American belief, isn't it? I know there are turtle clans but don't remember where they are. And I ain't going looking for them. :wink1:

I've been terrified of turtles from as early on as anyone in my family can remember.

Actually, my grandmother came from a bear clan.

Sangye
06-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Which tribe, Light?

Dryhill
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Of course they exist silly

Phew that's a relief.

Jim

janNaz
06-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah, similar to what I was told when I was a little girl, that it's extremely bad luck for a coyote to cross in front of your path. I'm not superstitious in my native beliefs, but owls...actually, birds in general...freak me out.

Psyborg
06-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Cochroaches scare me to death. When I was in high school my father was stationed in Spain and the temporary facilities were infested with roaches. My mom found me in the bathroom smashing them with a shoe while backing into a corner...lol. I had never had an issue with bugs before that...but the shear number freaked me out.

Lightwarrior
06-29-2012, 05:13 AM
Which tribe, Light?

Sac and Fox

annekat
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Cochroaches scare me to death. When I was in high school my father was stationed in Spain and the temporary facilities were infested with roaches. My mom found me in the bathroom smashing them with a shoe while backing into a corner...lol. I had never had an issue with bugs before that...but the shear number freaked me out. Ditto on cockroaches. I don't know if it's a true phobia, but they creep me out more than any other animal I can think of. I hate how their numbers seem limitless, how they hang on shower curtains, jump around on sidewalks on summer nights, etc. My main experience of them has been in California, but my sister and I saw a really big one, like 3 or 4 inches long, in a gutter near a Mexican restaurant here in Olympia, WA. I think it must have rode in on a truck. We didn't do anything, just got out of there. Maybe it got squished by a car.

renidrag
06-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Debbie and I were delivered a cockroach with our Chinese take out last week. Food went to the sidewalk and picked up by delivery man. Board of Health notified Monday. No more chinese for us.
Disgusting, just thinking of it makes me sick.:thumbdn:

Dirty Don
06-30-2012, 01:01 AM
Debbie and I were delivered a cockroach with our Chinese take out last week. Food went to the sidewalk and picked up by delivery man. Board of Health notified Monday. No more chinese for us.

Shoulda chopped it up, mixed it in with the fried rice...good protein...would've never known! LOLOLOL...sorry...hehe...couldn't resist! NoMoChinese...got it.

Lightwarrior
06-30-2012, 05:47 AM

Ewww, that is disgusting

Lightwarrior
06-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Shoulda chopped it up, mixed it in with the fried rice...good protein...would've never known! LOLOLOL...sorry...hehe...couldn't resist! NoMoChinese...got it.

Double Ewwww. I hate cockroaches, they creep me out, sorta like your rice. :w00t:

Dryhill
06-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Just to cheer you all up, if we ever kill ourselves off with nuclear bombs it is thought that cockroaches adapt and survive. Not a pleasent thought.

Jim

annekat
06-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Just to cheer you all up, if we ever kill ourselves off with nuclear bombs it is thought that cockroaches adapt and survive. Not a pleasent thought.

Jim Gee, thanks, Jim! At least somebody will survive. :unsure:

Dryhill
06-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Gee, thanks, Jim! At least somebody will survive. :unsure:

Of course it might be that the cockraoches want us to blow ourselves up so that they can go for world domination ......... oh bother I think I have watched too many re-runs of The Twilight Zone.

Jim

Fran
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Stop it with the cockroaches Jim! 1658 - back to the deer and rabbits etc please . lol :biggrin1:

Fran

Fran
07-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Jim,

I thought I would get a cheeky reply to this, but I guess you were either too busy watching the tennis, or making lots of dosh, ferrying all those crowds home from Wimbledon at 11 o'clock last night !!! 1671

Fran

Dryhill
07-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Jim,

I thought I would get a cheeky reply to this, but I guess you were either too busy watching the tennis, or making lots of dosh, ferrying all those crowds home from Wimbledon at 11 o'clock last night !!! 1671

Fran

Fran, as much as I prefer working nights, since the flare when I was diagnosed with WG my eyes have not been able to cope with too much night driving so I only work days now. As for not responding sooner I have been feeling very run-down, which I assume is due to a change in meds and haveing a cold, but don't worry I agree with you bunnies are much nicer to talk about ......... I am rather concerned that with the amount of carrots I am eating recently that my nose might start twitching and my ears flop over. :crying:

Jim

pberggren1
07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I have seen other Weggies turn into wabbits as well.

Dryhill
07-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I just wish I couild stop my foot from thumping the ground all the time!

Jim

pberggren1
07-04-2012, 08:24 AM
You're Bugs, not Thumper.

Al
07-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Huh. This thread took some strange turns since I last checked it. Cockroaches? Thumping? The end of the world?

Well. Gotta go with the turtles. Awfully cute, in my opinion. I've got some nice pictures....But the deer are fun, here in Bambi-land. Sometimes, I find one sleeping below my window, It helps, of course, that big cats don't swim so well, but SUVs are also predatory. Have to be careful on the roads. Plenty of bunnies too, though the eagles do keep the populations down some. No turtles here, though. Darn. But we do have large clams....

Al

annekat
07-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Yep, lots of strange turns in threads while you were gone, Al. I gotta agree, turtles are cute (sorry, Sangye!). I don't know if there are any here on the mainland, I think there might be! The strangest critter I saw here was a porcupine. About 14 years ago, and haven't seen one since. But my sister dog managed to get "quilled" and her husband was up all night pulling them out with pliers, then to the vet in the morning.
As for large clams, my sisters and I are leasing to a geoduck farmer who should be harvesting this year.

Sangye
07-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Yep, lots of strange turns in threads while you were gone, Al. I gotta agree, turtles are cute (sorry, Sangye!).
Ack! This thread has been hijacked by turtle lovers! I may just have to throw down a Putin if this continues.

Dryhill
07-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Ack! This thread has been hijacked by turtle lovers! I may just have to throw down a Putin if this continues.

Sangye, is it ok to like Turtle Doves?

Jim

Dirty Don
07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Sangye, is it ok to like Turtle Doves?

How about turtle soup?!

Sangye
07-10-2012, 01:16 PM
How about turtle soup?!
Oh man, don't even start. Seriously, if I think about that when I'm eating something I can't eat that food again.

Dirty Don
07-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Oh man, don't even start. Seriously, if I think about that when I'm eating something I can't eat that food again.

LOL, sorry m'dear...think ice cream then...hehe!

pberggren1
07-11-2012, 03:27 AM
I think a Putin is in order.

annekat
07-11-2012, 03:44 AM
I think a Putin is in order. How about a porcupine? I mentioned one of those in my last post on this thread. We can name the porcupine Putin.