PDA

View Full Version : Pets

carriej22
06-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi Folks,

While I don't have any human children I have quite the collection of four legged and scaled children.

Meet the furbabies :)

From left to right, Petri the Assassin, Prince Charming and Pickle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/8123_179931295803_504565803_4216484.jpg

Freeman the Greyhound and Pickle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/kowalla001.jpg

Kowalla the greyhound
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/n504565803_2540996_6712.jpg

And my other "kids"... I keep several aquariums, not as many as I used to since I got sick... But I am planning on picking up an 8 footer here soon, currently have over 100 fish and inverts and tipping about 25 species of fish, and about 15 species of aquatic plants.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/updatetank.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/upcloseram.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/angel2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/peacockgoby.jpg

pberggren1
06-20-2012, 08:45 AM
I love the kitties.

crackers
06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
love your pics and your pets.we have a german shepherd and a mini schnauzer plus a tank full of assorted fish.the dogs are my best friends,they're always there for me no matter how i feel
john

Sangye
06-21-2012, 02:52 AM
Wow, I love all your babies! My dogs and bird are my children, too.

Are your greyhounds racing dog rescues? They're all just gorgeous.

carriej22
06-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Yes, they are "retired" which they take -very- seriously. lol. We got them when they were 2, but one is now 7 and the other will be 7 in the fall. Great pups.

Sangye
06-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Aww, thank you for adopting them. They're lovely.

carriej22
06-21-2012, 11:49 PM
They are quite lovely! All of my animals are rescues, the cats are all from the SPCA. Never did see the point in buying a cat or dog when there are so many looking for homes in shelters or rescues, especially now since there are tons of rescues who deal with purebreds and particular breeds.

Sangye
06-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Same here. Even my cockatiel is a rescue. There are lots of cockatiel rescue organizations and they are always full.

Lightwarrior
06-22-2012, 09:23 AM
love your pics and your pets.we have a german shepherd and a mini schnauzer plus a tank full of assorted fish.the dogs are my best friends,they're always there for me no matter how i feel
john

Where are the pictures??

drz
06-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Where are the pictures??

See post above a few back in this thread. I liked them too.

crackers
06-24-2012, 03:09 AM
1650 16511652
Holly 6 in sept mini schnauzer bailey just turned 4 gsd

crackers
06-24-2012, 03:41 AM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa162/jessjess64/hols3.jpg http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa162/jessjess64/hols2.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa162/jessjess64/hols1.jpg http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa162/jessjess64/hols4.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa162/jessjess64/hols6.jpg

Holly 6yrs old mini schnauzer Bailey 4yr old gsd

Sangye
06-24-2012, 07:18 AM
I love your babies, John. :thumbsup:

pberggren1
06-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Mee 2. Reminds me of our neighbors dog.

Dryhill
06-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Same here. Even my cockatiel is a rescue. There are lots of cockatiel rescue organizations and they are always full.

Before I became a taxi driver I used to clean carpets and upholstery. One of my regular customers had a cockatiel that could perfectly mimic the ringing tone of my mobile phone.

Jim

Sangye
06-24-2012, 02:19 PM
LOL My little guy is quite the talker. He has a really sweet voice, too. And he sings beautifully, like a canary. I don't know if I've ever posted a picture of him.

Dryhill
06-24-2012, 02:27 PM
They are quite lovely! All of my animals are rescues, the cats are all from the SPCA. Never did see the point in buying a cat or dog when there are so many looking for homes in shelters or rescues, especially now since there are tons of rescues who deal with purebreds and particular breeds.

Last year on a tv animal rescue programme there was an incredibly over weight border collie that had to be removed from its owner becaue they were constantly over feeding the poor dog. We were told that for many months the dog would need lots of very short walks and a carefully controlled diet, great I thought I can do very short walks and perhaps it would help me get fitter. But at the end of the programme they said that the RSPCA had already re-homed the dog.

Jim

pberggren1
06-24-2012, 05:07 PM
LOL My little guy is quite the talker. He has a really sweet voice, too. And he sings beautifully, like a canary. I don't know if I've ever posted a picture of him.

What a sweety!

Sangye
06-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Jim, that was a very good idea! Are you still dog-less? There are so many dogs like that in shelters. And many senior dogs, too. People throw them away when they're not cute puppies anymore. Many senior dogs don't require as much exercise and just want love-- might be a nice match for you.

Dryhill
06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Jim, that was a very good idea! Are you still dog-less? There are so many dogs like that in shelters. And many senior dogs, too. People throw them away when they're not cute puppies anymore. Many senior dogs don't require as much exercise and just want love-- might be a nice match for you.

Sangye, I have thought of that a few times but have run up against a couple of problems:-

1. Most animal rescue centres are not happy that I am out at work and live by myself. No wonder they have problems finding homes for the animals!

2. I used to get really upset when my kids hamsters died (they only live about two years). I used to be more upset than the girls were so I am not sure I could cope with the relatively short life of an older dog.

Having said that, perhaps I should look into it again. There is nothing like that waggy tail to cheer you up, also too many cats think my garden is their property.

Jim

Sangye
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Yeah, that's the hard part about seniors. The good part is knowing that you gave them a wonderful ending. They might not get that otherwise.

Have you considered fostering dogs for a bit? There is always a big need for good foster homes. Sometimes they only need to place a dog for a couple weeks or a month-- might work well for you.

Dryhill
06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
I have never heard of fostering dogs, that is something well worth looking into, thanks Sangye.

Jim

Sangye
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Cool! Any dog rescue can give you info on it. My boy dog was pulled from the shelter by a foster group. By the time I found him they'd had him for 2 weeks to allow him to be neutered and to settle down a bit from his past trauma. When fostering a dog you really get to know them, so you can help with selecting the best home. I fostered a dog once. Found her the perfect home and it was pure joy to make that connection for her.

drz
06-26-2012, 02:40 AM
I have never heard of fostering dogs, that is something well worth looking into, thanks Sangye.

Jim

My living place doesn't allow any cats, dogs, birds, etc so I can't foster or adopt any such pet but I can volunteer to go walk some of the dogs or help with their care. Many people do such things to help them animals and to experience the joy of seeing a happy pet have a good time until they find their placement. Also a good way to try out some pets to see if you are a good match if adoption or foster care is an option for you.

Sangye
06-26-2012, 03:19 AM
Yes! I couldn't have a dog for many years and had terrible dog fever. I loved to walk dogs, brush them, wash them, etc.... and would jump at the chance to do this for friends or neighbors.

After I got my dog Patch, I started volunteering in an animal shelter. I'd go in on Saturday morning and brush the dogs, walk them and get an idea of their personality and training. Then when people started arriving about noon to look at dogs, I helped guide them to one who was a good match. Most people have no idea how to look for a dog. They just fall in love with one that's cute or the size they think they want, etc.... The dog doesn't work out and winds up back in the shelter. (And you have to assume that any dog that goes to the shelter will be killed, no matter how cute, or if it's a purebred, a puppy, etc.... The vast majority are killed.)

The shelter where I volunteered was terrible. They made no effort to adopt out the dogs or to help people find a good match, never brushed the dogs, etc... They just cleaned the kennels and fed them. They actually didn't even realize I was volunteering! The staff would sit in the front room and had no idea I was back there taking care of the dogs and playing matchmaker.

One day a family with little kids came in. They had no clue how to look for a dog and took a liking to a dachsund. I had checked the dog out and found her to be a bit snippy. She seemed like she had been someone's lap dog. Not a high energy dog, and not up for noise and excitement. Basically a disaster waiting to happen for a house with kids. I steered them to a much better match, a bigger, playful but gentle dog. The kind who will let kids pull on his ears and respond with a lick on the nose. They adopted him and then said the dachsund would be perfect for their elderly mom. So two dogs went to good homes. Every week it was my goal to empty the shelter. I never did it, but I did find a lot of them great homes. And I found my own little girl Lotus in there while I was at it! :biggrin1:

Dryhill
06-26-2012, 12:02 PM
I have always insisted that my last dog chose me and not the other way round. She came from my vet's border collie, and I was fortunate enough to have the pick of the litter, every time I visited she pushed her way through her brothers and sisters to be next to me. When I picked her up I always got my face washed, she was such a loving dog I just had to call her Freya (the Norse Goddess of Love).

I have never been able to throw my dogs collars and leads away, they are still hanging in the cupboard.

Jim

Sangye
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
My first dog definitely found me. I was living in Valencia,Spain and one day took the subway to visit some friends in a village outside the city. It was a Sunday and the subway was packed. I got off into a big swarm of people. Out of nowhere this big black dog leaped up on me and put her paws on my shoulders. She ignored everyone around me. She was a street dog-- filthy and starving. I wanted to buy her something to eat but all the stores were closed. I bought a little cup of ice cream from a street vendor and put it on the ground. She started gobbling it up. My friends and I began walking away, but as we did, she began following me. This starving dog actually left the ice cream to follow me. I'd fed a lot of street dogs in Spain before (there are TONS) but had never seen that happen. We had to stand there until she finished the whole thing!

She followed us a few blocks to their apartment. They lived on the second floor and had a balcony that overlooked the street. She refused to come in the door and sat down on the sidewalk. We decided to go upstairs and watch her from there. She sat there for several minutes, then finally started to walk away. I don't even know how to describe what I felt when she began walking away. It literally--literally-- felt like my heart was tearing apart. I hadn't felt any attachment to her up until that moment so it took me by surprise. I instantly became like a crazy person, shouting to my friends "What should I do? I live in the city in a 5th floor apartment!" Coincidentally, that very morning I'd had a phone conversation with one of them in which we both discussed when it's appropriate to make a decision with the heart and not the head. She looked at me and said something like "You know how I'd make this decision." Bam! I was out the door, raced down the stairs and into the street.

I started shouting to the dog "Perro! Perro!" She was already way down the street. She turned around and then it was like a Lassie movie. She came charging down the street and jumped into my arms, as if she'd been my dog forever. My friends were on the balcony cheering.

That little girl became my instant shadow. We were so close. I brought her back to the US with me a year later and in the 10 years I had her we only spent 11 nights apart. It was because of her that I became a chiropractor and then found my lama and became a Buddhist nun. My sweet Laika. She brought me to every good thing in my life.

crackers
06-26-2012, 09:06 PM
beautiful story sangye,it brought a tear to my eye.my wife and i have recently joined a german shepherd rescue association to help find suitable homes for homeless gsd's.i hope we are successful or i'll be wanting to bring them all home with me.
john.

Fran
06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Your beautiful story of Spanish Laika brought tears Sangye, but also brought back memories of my two beloved dogs.

It was two days before Christmas and we had just come back from the vet where we had to said goodbye to our little Jack Russell who was so ill, we were so upset we called to tell Jean, our 'doggie lady' friend (everyone called her that because she always had loads of dogs, and was a volunteer at the local Dog Sanctuary) to tell her - we knew she would understand our loss ! She was just on her way to 'work' so she told us to come with her so we could talk.

The large 'office' was full of old sofas and chairs covered in blankets with old dogs lying in comfort to spend their last days. The manager then walked in with a young black excitable dog, ( who the police had found wandering in the city), who he said liked to visit the oldies. Paws up on each sofa, wag of the tail - I was smitten - such a caring little thing! When she noticed us ....well you can guess the rest ! We were allowed to take her there and then because Jean knew us, but ordinarily they didn't rehome dogs during the two weeks before Christmas. We renamed her Tess and she was joined a few months later by another adoptee, Lucy, our little Yorkie. Lucy was with us for 14 years and Tess for 18 1/2 years. Bless their little hearts they got me through the rough WG years.
Sorry it's a bit long - thanks for reading.
Fran

Psyborg
06-26-2012, 10:49 PM
I have always insisted that my last dog chose me and not the other way round. She came from my vet's border collie, and I was fortunate enough to have the pick of the litter, every time I visited she pushed her way through her brothers and sisters to be next to me. When I picked her up I always got my face washed, she was such a loving dog I just had to call her Freya (the Norse Goddess of Love).

I have never been able to throw my dogs collars and leads away, they are still hanging in the cupboard.

Jim
Wow...that's funny. Our current dog's name is Freya, for similar reasons :) We rescued her from the local shelter and she's a bundle of happiness most of the time :)

Sangye
06-27-2012, 10:28 AM
beautiful story sangye,it brought a tear to my eye.my wife and i have recently joined a german shepherd rescue association to help find suitable homes for homeless gsd's.i hope we are successful or i'll be wanting to bring them all home with me.
john.
That's awesome, John! There's nothing like helping to save lives. It can be heartbreaking because the stream is endless but the joy of finding that perfect home... I don't think there's anything better than that. Kudos to you for helping!!

Sangye
06-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Fran, I just loved your story. I adopted my dog Patch 2 weeks after Laika died. He patched my heart.

Dryhill
06-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Wow...that's funny. Our current dog's name is Freya, for similar reasons :) We rescued her from the local shelter and she's a bundle of happiness most of the time :)

I do not like giving an animal a "human" name and there was a lady in my village called Freya, but I just could not think of a more suitable name. I am glad to learn that her spirit lives on.

Fran, I just loved your story. I adopted my dog Patch 2 weeks after Laika died. He patched my heart.

Sangye, what a wonderful reason for the name.

Jim

Sangye
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
His foster mom named him Patch. I told her I would change it and she was hurt. She said "It's his name and he likes it." I wanted to change it because it sounded like a kindergarten named him. LOL Over the course of a week I tried on many names for him but nothing else would stick. Finally I conceded that Patch truly is his name and he truly does like it. Then I realized that he had already patched my heart.

pberggren1
06-28-2012, 10:21 AM
This makes me think of Patch Adams.

Dryhill
06-28-2012, 01:00 PM
This photo was emailed to me by a friend, and it clearly shows why you have to have eyes in the back of your head when you have a young animal around. the home.

Jim

Bother the photo has not transferred correctly.

http://65.55.175.71/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=bdf7e63b-bd67-11e1-a1ed-00215ad84b9a&attindex=3&cp=-1&attdepth=3&imgsrc=cid%3a4.4077576361%40web87404.mail.ir2.yaho o.com&blob=M3xpbWFnZTAwNDQ0NDQuanBnfGltYWdlL2pwZWc_3d&hm__login=jimsrainbow&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.4.70.8&d=d2753&mf=0&hm__ts=Thu%2c%2028%20Jun%202012%2001%3a55%3a01%20G MT&st=jimsrainbow&hm__ha=01_647b641946c2411c8c8ae6019e6b14d2be7dff28 dda6e568d2af2160d662ff61&oneredir=1

Sangye
07-01-2012, 01:47 PM
This makes me think of Patch Adams.
That was actually what I was going to call him, as a concession. LOL But it never stuck. He has a million nicknames--none of them Patch Adams!

Dryhill
07-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Cats do get themselves into some intersting positions.

Jim

Dryhill
07-12-2012, 08:46 PM
They say that people grow to look like their pet, but this seems to be taking things too far.

Jim

Jaha
07-14-2012, 07:15 AM
I love my dogs, they are at times my only friends. We have three babies, my husband and I couldn't have any children. Two of which are huge dogs, mastiff and boxer mix, the other one is a mix of golden retriever and maybe chow. This little one came up our driveway two days after getting the mastiff litter mates (Jack and Jill), so we kept him and named him Buddy. Buddy is really a bold dog who does not get along with the male mastiff, so we keep them separated,(which is hard). We just had an incident with him getting into a fight with the mastiff and it ended up after my husband and I tried to separate them that my husband got bite, by Buddy. We had to take him to the ER where he got 11 stitches in his hand. Everybody wants us have him put down, but we can't stand to do that because he is part of the family. So I guess, we will just have to work with him somemore or call in Cesar Manlan.

Jana

Sangye
07-14-2012, 01:29 PM
I hope you can find a good trainer for Buddy, Jana. At worst, he might have to go to a home with no other dogs or with a dog that he gets along with. I'm glad that you're not euthanizing him for it. There are always other solutions.

crackers
07-14-2012, 08:39 PM
hi jana it seems you have two problems rolled into one here.problem one is that buddy is the outsider of the three.the other two have grown up together and are their own mini pack.problem two is that it sounds like you've got two dominant males who both want to be the alpha.these situations seldom end well so i agree with sangye.he needs a home where he is the only dog or a home where he is the only male.good luck.
john.

Sangye
07-15-2012, 03:13 AM
John is a Dog Whisperer!! Very good analysis, there.

crackers
07-15-2012, 05:53 AM
unlike mr millan my advice comes free.

Jaha
07-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Thanks for your advice guys. I don't want to give up on him yet, but we will have to watch the situtation with the two males and if all else fails, we will find him a good home.
Jana