PDA

View Full Version : Thanks...

delorisdoe
06-15-2012, 05:03 AM
I can not get on the salsa garden thread to thank all of you for your kind words.

I appologize for hijacking your salsa garden thread but I was excited to post my photo journal-it took me a long time to figure out how to do it.

I do have a veggie garden but its not pretty. lol

as far as a green thumb goes, not so much. we bought this house 5 years ago. the first spring there I planted so many perenials it was crazy. They were little guys that cost less than 2 bucks and I thought they would take forever to get big. This proved to be not the case. Infact they became monsterous by the next year. HMM that is what my mother in law meant when she told me to read the labels and pay attention to how big they will get. I spent the following 3 years moving them around and grouping them and actually figuring out where they go. this year they are exactly how I wanted them to look. I am good now at laying out beds etc but It came from practice and reading and trial and error. I think a green thumb aplies to a brilliant gardener that just knows what goes where.

Michelle it is an oasis and I spend most of my time at home on my deck surrounded by my gardens.:w00t:

annekat
06-15-2012, 06:15 AM
Leigh, if you have not tried growing lilies, you might want to. They are easy, you just dig a hole and plant and watch for slugs when they first come up. There are many wonderful varieties, some fragrant and some not, and most will return each year. I work for a lily place in the winter so know a lot about them. It could depend on where in Canada you live, I suppose, but they are possible in cold winter climes. I'll post pics of mine at some point. Being on your deck surrounded by gardens sounds like heaven to me.

delorisdoe
06-15-2012, 06:21 AM
I have tiger lillies, some pretty little yellow lillies and 1 red, 2 pink lillies. They are in my front garden and not in the right spot. I have debated moving them to a hole in the back but worry that they wont transplant well and they were my daughters contribution to the gardens so she would be upset. Do tiger lillies count as lillies lol. I try to dig them up but they spread faster than they can be dug. My front garden is my project for next year. I will post my lilies when they bloom.

annekat
06-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Yes, tiger lilies count as lilies. They are a species to themselves, meaning they were not hybridized but exist as a natural species somewhere in the world. There are west coast native species that grow in the US and Canada, and species from China, etc. I have found the species lilies harder to grow, in general, and they take longer to produce blooms, than the hybrid lilies. But tiger lilies are a DEFINITE exception to that. They are easy to grow.

As for transplanting, it shouldn't be a problem, but I would do it after the blooms are long gone in the fall, or in the spring before much new growth has appeared. I have dug up lilies and given them to other people, and they have taken off. Also, when cutting stems for flower arrangements, leave lots of leaves on the plant for photosynthesis and successful return the next year. Some lilies multiply rapidly, by division of the bulbs; Asiatics are the most known for this.

I'd be glad to answer any more questions. I'm not an expert but probably know more than the average person.

Sangye
06-15-2012, 07:04 AM
I love this thread. :smile1:

annekat
06-15-2012, 07:16 AM
I love this thread. :smile1: It is kind of refreshing to have a thread about plants and flowers instead of animals, for a change!

delorisdoe
06-15-2012, 12:15 PM
I've been trying to catch a pic of the bumble bees that love my deck garden but they see me comming with my iPad a million miles away.

delorisdoe
06-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I think they are aisiatic lilies in my garden.

Dryhill
06-15-2012, 12:31 PM
I know they are a real problem to control, but if you can find a corner of your garden I recommend growing stinging nettles, quite a few catepillars love them. Also having plenty of shrubs helps the smaller shy birds, my pleasure is seeing a little Jenny Wren hopping between shrubs (the only down side to shrubs are cats, they can use them to hide from the birds).

Jim

delorisdoe
06-15-2012, 12:40 PM
I have some nettle. The leavs are green and white and they have a purple flower.

Dryhill
06-15-2012, 01:24 PM
I have some nettle. The leavs are green and white and they have a purple flower.

I do not know if you get them in Canada but the Map Butterfly (Araschinia leana) and the strikingly pretty Red Admiral (Vaessa atalanta) are partial to nettle.

Jim

annekat
06-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I think they are aisiatic lilies in my garden. If they are Asiatic lilies, they won't have any fragrance. They are the first lilies to bloom every year so that could be a clue, too, if they will be blooming soon. Mine aren't quite there yet but I expect them this month. The Asiatic hybrids come in lots of solid colors and combos of colors. Here is an old pic of some of mine that are multiplying like rabbits and will bloom soon. The variety is called Lollipop.

annekat
06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I know they are a real problem to control, but if you can find a corner of your garden I recommend growing stinging nettles, quite a few catepillars love them. Also having plenty of shrubs helps the smaller shy birds, my pleasure is seeing a little Jenny Wren hopping between shrubs (the only down side to shrubs are cats, they can use them to hide from the birds).

Jim Oh, yikes, I sure wouldn't recommend that around here.... they are a REAL problem to control..... I've got 'em myself.... however, they thrive in wet low spots, so if you don't have one of those, perhaps you could grow them on a more limited basis without the control problem in a higher, drier spot..... Or if you DO have a small, low, wet spot that you could dedicate to the nettles without them bothering anyone, that would work, too, and I don't think they'd spread to the drier parts of your yard.

Dryhill
06-15-2012, 08:44 PM
If they are Asiatic lilies, they won't have any fragrance.

The only trouble with growing flowers that do not have any scent is that generally they will not attract insects and frequently have no nectar for the bees.

Oh, yikes, I sure wouldn't recommend that around here.... they are a REAL problem to control..... I've got 'em myself.... however, they thrive in wet low spots, so if you don't have one of those, perhaps you could grow them on a more limited basis without the control problem in a higher, drier spot..... Or if you DO have a small, low, wet spot that you could dedicate to the nettles without them bothering anyone, that would work, too, and I don't think they'd spread to the drier parts of your yard.

Fortunately I have a patch of gerden that is seperated from the rest by concrete, and as it is in a corner by the shed it is contained and not too unsightly. I also grew various forms of mint which is another invasive plant. I planted them in plastic three gallon buckets (with holes made in the base for drainage) and buried the bucket in the ground with about an inch of the rim above the soil.

Jim

delorisdoe
06-15-2012, 10:09 PM
I have a huge planter full of herbs...well used to have herbs it is now all mint, except for some oregano but they look the same.

annekat
06-16-2012, 01:25 AM
The only trouble with growing flowers that do not have any scent is that generally they will not attract insects and frequently have no nectar for the bees.

Fortunately I have a patch of gerden that is seperated from the rest by concrete, and as it is in a corner by the shed it is contained and not too unsightly. I also grew various forms of mint which is another invasive plant. I planted them in plastic three gallon buckets (with holes made in the base for drainage) and buried the bucket in the ground with about an inch of the rim above the soil.

Jim
True, but you can plant the fragrant lilies along with the non-fragrant ones. The different types of lilies all bloom in succession, first the Asiatics, then the trumpets and the Oriental/trumpet mixes, which are both fragrant, then the Orientals later in the summer, which are the most fragrant. The species and other hybrid types are in there somewhere. Although the Asiatics aren't fragrant, they are great for early color in the garden when we are waiting for other things to bloom.

As for mint, I would love to grow it and should be able to, though I haven't been very successful so far. Just haven't picked the right spot, I guess, or kept the weeds down around it. I remember the wonderful smell of growing mint, and hope to smell it again someday when I can smell again.

When it comes to catnip, which is also in the mint family, whenever I try to grow it the cats destroy it. But I've heard it can be invasive, which I wouldn't mind.

annekat
06-16-2012, 01:29 AM
I have a huge planter full of herbs...well used to have herbs it is now all mint, except for some oregano but they look the same. I have a tenant on my property who has expressed an interest in growing herbs. So I'm interested in helping her do this. I have half a wine barrel that's not being used that would be great for this except it would take a lot of soil to fill it, more than the herbs need.

delorisdoe
06-16-2012, 01:45 AM
Mine is not filled with dirt. I put left over plastic containers that the plants come in in the bottom or a smaller plastic planter pail or rocks-you get the picture-in th bottom and then the dirt.

delorisdoe
06-16-2012, 01:50 AM
This is mine...ignore the rum...like i said the mint took over 1648

drz
06-16-2012, 01:57 AM
This is mine...ignore the rum...like i said the mint took over 1648

Mint is good for lot of different drinks and teas so you should be set for awhile.

delorisdoe
06-16-2012, 02:21 AM
I like mint enough, it is pretty too and add a nice element to my potted deck garden (my favorite garden) however I also loved the rosemery and the chives and the oregano etc that used to fit in this planter. :razz:

Lightwarrior
06-16-2012, 03:16 AM
I also grew various forms of mint which is another invasive plant. I planted them in plastic three gallon buckets (with holes made in the base for drainage) and buried the bucket in the ground with about an inch of the rim above the soil.

Jim

This gives me hope, I love mint. I grew up calling it yerba buena (good herb) it is wonderful as a tea if your stomach is upset or for babies with upset stomachs. I love the smell and the memories that this smell evokes.

annekat
06-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Mine is not filled with dirt. I put left over plastic containers that the plants come in in the bottom or a smaller plastic planter pail or rocks-you get the picture-in th bottom and then the dirt. Good ideas.... I'd been thinking today about what I might put in there to take up space, but hadn't thought of those exact things except for the rocks. I'd also thought of planting a small ornamental tree in there.

annekat
06-16-2012, 11:14 AM
This gives me hope, I love mint. I grew up calling it yerba buena (good herb) it is wonderful as a tea if your stomach is upset or for babies with upset stomachs. I love the smell and the memories that this smell evokes. I was pretty sure yerba buena was a very specific plant so I looked up here: Yerba buena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_buena) , and it isn't even in the mint family, HOWEVER, the article gives plenty of credence to the fact that in Spanish speaking communities, whatever the local mint is, it is called yerba buena. Fairly interesting article, says San Francisco was originally called Yerba Buena.

Dryhill
06-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Everyone keeps saying how nice mint smells, which is of course true, but do remember to add a few leaves when cooking peas and new potatoes.

Chives really do need to be grown in their own container, as they are easily "over powered" by other herbs. I really like chopping up chives and adding them to a mixed salad, particularly if you you do not want to use an onion in the salad.

Jim

Al
06-16-2012, 01:49 PM
I was pretty sure yerba buena was a very specific plant so I looked up here: Yerba buena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_buena) , and it isn't even in the mint family, HOWEVER, the article gives plenty of credence to the fact that in Spanish speaking communities, whatever the local mint is, it is called yerba buena. Fairly interesting article, says San Francisco was originally called Yerba Buena.Hey! Such synchronicity! I just looked up Y. buena, though for a somewhat acciental reason: I was wondering about the makeup of Yerba tea, and hit upon Yerba buena.

This is a fun thread. I am not a particularly green thumb. Or, I should say, I don't know how green my thum is, as I have never tried any gardening. But I very much respect those who do.

Al

annekat
06-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Hey! Such synchronicity! I just looked up Y. buena, though for a somewhat acciental reason: I was wondering about the makeup of Yerba tea, and hit upon Yerba buena.

This is a fun thread. I am not a particularly green thumb. Or, I should say, I don't know how green my thum is, as I have never tried any gardening. But I very much respect those who do.

Al Maybe I can get you a few lily bulbs next winter, I have access to lots of kinds, and they are easy to grow. I'll bet your wife would love them, too.

Some hippies I knew in N. California in the 1970's were very into yerba buena tea, probably from the non-mint variety, though I think it tasted somewhat minty. And then there's yerba santa , "sacred herb" which grows in California's coastal range along roads and such: http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_erca6.pdf . I have tried it for colds, coughs, and such (way pre-Wegs) and think it may have helped; I seem to remember it having a strong medicinal flavor.

Glad you like the thread. We'll make a gardener of you yet.

me2
06-16-2012, 04:48 PM
I have nettles and mint. Properly contained they are both wonderful plants. The young nettle greens steamed like spinach in the spring is a favorite of mine. They are delicious, loose their sting, and are more nutritious than spinach. And I don't have to plant them every year. The mint did get away in part of my garden but its not super hard to get control of again- at least at my place.
Very interesting about the yerba buena, I just thought it was a plant from Peru.
And the hippies in N California are world famous for their 'herb' growing- the "non-mint variety".

drz
06-17-2012, 08:06 AM
I had horta in a Greek restaurant last night. The server said it was like a Greek dandelion. I liked it and found it very tasty and it looked a lot like cooked spinach. I have heard dandelion greens are supposed to be good eating and good for you. Not sure how one would fix it though. It is considered a weed in lawns so it would often have risk of herbicides and week killers being on it if picking it from lawns other than your own.

I have nettles and mint. Properly contained they are both wonderful plants. The young nettle greens steamed like spinach in the spring is a favorite of mine. They are delicious, loose their sting, and are more nutritious than spinach. And I don't have to plant them every year. The mint did get away in part of my garden but its not super hard to get control of again- at least at my place.
Very interesting about the yerba buena, I just thought it was a plant from Peru.
And the hippies in N California are world famous for their 'herb' growing- the "non-mint variety".

Dryhill
06-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I had horta in a Greek restaurant last night. The server said it was like a Greek dandelion. I liked it and found it very tasty and it looked a lot like cooked spinach. I have heard dandelion greens are supposed to be good eating and good for you. Not sure how one would fix it though. It is considered a weed in lawns so it would often have risk of herbicides and week killers being on it if picking it from lawns other than your own.

I have never tried dandelion leaves, but know people who regularly have them in a salad. I'm told the leaves taste better if you cover them so that they are almost white.

Picking anything from outside your garden is always a risk. In the autumn we have lots of wild blackberries growing in the hedgerows around the village, but I only pick where I know the farmer has not sprayed anything that year. I also try and only pick those several hundred yards from a road, so there should less pollution around when the flower and berries were growing.

Jim

annekat
06-17-2012, 12:28 PM
We have a special native blackberry in the Pacific Northwest, it trails on the ground and has a smaller, tarter but more flavorful berry than the monster Himalayan blackberries that try to take over everywhere. It makes the best pies, jams, etc.

pberggren1
06-17-2012, 01:49 PM
We have a special native blackberry in the Pacific Northwest, it trails on the ground and has a smaller, tarter but more flavorful berry than the monster Himalayan blackberries that try to take over everywhere. It makes the best pies, jams, etc.

How did these berries get from the Himalayas to WA? Can you send me some jam please?

alexciasmom
06-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Question for you all. I have wasp nests in some birdhouses. How do I get them out? There to old to take apart.

Dirty Don
06-17-2012, 02:21 PM
If you're into projectile insecticides...squirt then run like hell...if not, put in some mothballs and run like hell!!! LOL...I'd get new birdhouses personally! Wasps get nasty & angry sometimes! Could also use a hose, but that could damage the birdhouses...hmmmmmm

pberggren1
06-17-2012, 06:10 PM
I have a feeling Al has experienc with this.

alexciasmom
06-17-2012, 07:58 PM
The wasp nest are dead. Yeah... Just need to remove them so birdies can live there..

alexciasmom
06-17-2012, 08:01 PM
I dropped them in the pone for days then sprayed killer inside. But the nest are bigger than then hole so how the heck to I cut it up to get out of the hole?

pberggren1
06-17-2012, 08:32 PM
You will have to disassembe the bird houses.

annekat
06-18-2012, 01:07 AM
How did these berries get from the Himalayas to WA? Can you send me some jam please? Phil, the Himalayans are not the native Pacific NW blackberries. They are the big, invasive species that grows along roads and rivers across the US and probably Canada, too, which people call "brambles", so however they got here was however they got everywhere else. Whether they are truly from the Himalayas, I don't know.

The native blackberries here are much more delicate looking plants that grow closer to the ground, often on steep areas, but not always. Here is a picture of them: 1649
They are more work to harvest but I spent many happy hours on my grandparents' farm picking them on the fringes of the deep woods there. I've got a few coming up on my property here and along my road. If I make jam, and that's a VERY big if, I will send you some. (I really wish I had that kind of time!)

Sangye
06-18-2012, 03:45 AM
Please don't use insecticides inside or near the bird houses. That harms the birds and the rest of the environment. Chemicals like insecticides and herbicides stay in the environment for much longer than the manufacturers want you to know. There are always safe, natural ways to deal with unwanted insects.

pberggren1
06-18-2012, 10:24 AM
I wish my parents did not use chemicals. Dad likes to use Roundup and Malathine in the yard and likes to use bleach and amonia in the house.

alexciasmom
06-18-2012, 01:05 PM
I took them apart. Then washed with earth friendly dish soap. Hope that won't hurt the birds. I fixed the hummingbirds feeders yeahhh.

pberggren1
06-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Good for you. I love hummingbirds.

Al
06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
I dropped them in the pone for days then sprayed killer inside. But the nest are bigger than then hole so how the heck to I cut it up to get out of the hole?Spraying is a bad idea, and useless, since the hornets are already dead. Now you will have to clean the think out totally before you can let the birds in. As for removing the old nests, it should be a piece of cake. Dead bugs can't sting, so just take a vacuum cleaner and suck the parts out. If the entry hole is too small, any tool will do to dismantle the old nest. But be sure to clean out the insides of the bird house thoroughly.

Al