PDA

View Full Version : Bactrim Question

TOBEY32
06-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Do you think it's as important to take in the summer as in the winter, when there's colds/flu? Maybe it's a good idea year-round just to keep the "nose-gunk" at bay. My doc recently dropped mine to just M/W/F, but I can occasionally smell the odor ever so lightly from my nose. If you experienced sinus stuff w/ your Weg's you know what I'm talking about.

David

chrisTIn@
06-07-2012, 06:06 AM
I 've taken Bactrim for months and months, and now I 've stopped it again.
I don't know exactly what you mean by 'the odor', even though I did have Weg's-related sinus and nose-problems.

I always consult my Wegs-doctor about whether or not I should take Bactrim, but the last two years I 've been taking Bactrim all through the winter.

Al
06-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Pluses and minuses to Bactrim, David. Like with all antibiotics, there are side effects. On the other hand, there is some, though limited, evidence that, by keeping the Staph population down, the chances of a relapse are reduced. But bactrim can also push up your creatinine numbers.

Al

pberggren1
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
What smell do you mean Tobey? Is it a nasty musty/stale gasoline smell?

mishb
06-08-2012, 11:02 PM
No, it's the dirty/mouldy/wet sock smell. :thumbdn:

Is that the one David? That's what it smells like to me (thankfully it's not very often anymore)

TOBEY32
06-12-2012, 11:21 AM
No Phil - the odor is more like how mishb describes it. The less gunk in your nose, the less odor you'll have. You scared me for a moment. I'm think'n I can NOT be the only one who's experienced this.

David

pberggren1
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I do smell weird stuff from time to time.

Sangye
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
You're not crazy, David. While I don't have sinus issues, a number of members have mentioned smelling when their sinuses were involved. Some even said their doctors could detect the odor.

freakyschizogirl
06-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm think'n I can NOT be the only one who's experienced this.

I said this for 2 years before diagnosis! :biggrin1:

I do sometimes have a smell but its when the mucus in my nose is more mucus-y and moving. I dont think anyone has ever been able to smell mine and i'm not on Bactrim.

Sangye
06-18-2012, 03:35 AM
It makes complete sense that you would notice a smell if you have Wegs involvement in your nose and/or sinuses, as Wegs causes tissue necrosis (death)---that definitely smells.

freakyschizogirl
06-18-2012, 07:07 AM
It makes complete sense that you would notice a smell if you have Wegs involvement in your nose and/or sinuses, as Wegs causes tissue necrosis (death)---that definitely smells.

I wanna say gross - just from the phrasing of that sentence but it makes sense i guess!
Makes it sound like you are smelling your own death, ew. Thats my morbid thought for the evening!

Nice to see you back Sangye

Dirty Don
06-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Between the 2 of you, pragmatic & comparative, you 2 should write something creative about WG...or life in general! LOL...not kidding...it takes both objective and subjective perspectives of life to survive...

freakyschizogirl
06-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Between the 2 of you, pragmatic & comparative, you 2 should write something creative about WG...or life in general! LOL...not kidding...it takes both objective and subjective perspectives of life to survive...

Youth vs experience, lol

TOBEY32
06-19-2012, 12:45 PM
freakyschizogirl,
You're freaked out by what you hear? Here's another: a year ago at this time I was blowing things out of my nose that I couldn't believe even fit IN my nose! It was something else...

pberggren1
06-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Same here Tobey. I got some out at times that were bigger than a large marble.

freakyschizogirl
06-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Go on Tobey, what was it?

mishb
06-19-2012, 11:31 PM
freakyschizogirl,
You're freaked out by what you hear? Here's another: a year ago at this time I was blowing things out of my nose that I couldn't believe even fit IN my nose! It was something else...

I can so relate David.
Big tiger slug like creatures. Aliens :razz:

TOBEY32
06-20-2012, 05:33 AM
freakyschizogirl,
Again mishb has described it best. No need to take it any further, and you don't really wanna know...

pberggren1
06-20-2012, 06:05 AM
I can send some old pics if you like....lol.

carriej22
06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Thank god.. I thought the alien/slug/nudibranch boogies from outerspace were unique to me. Nice to know other people are just as strange... LOL

Frodo
06-15-2013, 01:47 PM
With respect to the odor from sinuses, I've been dealing with that for years. I've had complete destruction of my nose so I can't smell. I have to leave it to others to let me know, and that can be awkward.

I like to play poker and have more than once had to leave the table because others were commenting on a foul odor at the table. I knew it was my nose. I try to irrigate often but nothing completely "cures" it. It has become the most annoying symptom I currently have because it affects my social life so much. I have accepted the effect that the severe saddle nose has on my appearance but the odour is not so easy to deal with.

Cheers.

....then again, maybe it's because I like to eat raw fish...lol

pberggren1
06-15-2013, 01:51 PM
What will you do with your feet though Frodo?........lol