PDA

View Full Version : Jubilee

vdub
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I've been watching the Queen's Jubilee on tv and I have to tell all you brits out there that no matter what it costs, it is really cool to see so much patriotism and pride expressed in your country and your queen. Bravo!

All we have over here are the likes of George Clooney and Paris Hilton (my cousin actually) and they don' begin to rise to any level of admiration.

You're putting on a great show and I'm glad the brits are great friends that we can always count on.

Al
06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I've been watching the Queen's Jubilee on tv and I have to tell all you brits out there that no matter what it costs, it is really cool to see so much patriotism and pride expressed in your country and your queen. Bravo!

All we have over here are the likes of George Clooney and Paris Hilton (my cousin actually) and they don' begin to rise to any level of admiration.

You're putting on a great show and I'm glad the brits are great friends that we can always count on.Yes--bravi, indeed! In the American system, royalty is not always so noble....

Al

pwc51
06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
I went to see the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant. We arrived early but, patently, not early enough as most access to the river forntage was closed 4 hours before it was due to arrive! We eventually made it but were probably 20 rows back from the river frontage and initially could see nothing. However, after the Queen had passed and the rain really set in the crowd began to disperse it was not long before we could see. Well before the end we were right at the front and had a grandstand view of much of the remainder of the spectacle! (I would post a picture but the system won't play!).

The downside - after hours of standing I seem to have acquired a slight vasculitic rash around my ankle, the first I have seen for 15 months! Hopefully it is not the start of anything worse!

Debbie C
06-06-2012, 01:53 AM
That's one thing I regret when I worked for Pan Am, I never went to England and I have always wanted to.I am part English and Welsh and I just love the accent of people there and the way of life seems to be much simplier and nicer in Europe. It was a shame that the Prince was hospitalized and could not be there for the whole ceremony. The Queen seems to have changed alot after the death of Diana...not as harsh.But she always seems to be a gracious lady.I don't like Camilia at all though.

Fran
06-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Debra - You've gotta love Camilla's hats though !!! :wink1: Ha ha !

Vdub - It's funny though, when I went to America, what struck me a lot was just how patriotic Americans were, as so many houses have the flag flying in their front gardens all the time. We don't seem to do that - only on special occasions.
I just don't know how an 86 year old and a 90 year old stood for 4.1/2 hours in the cold and damp on the Thames on that boat without sitting down. I can't do that for 1/2 hour on a good day !!

Fran

pberggren1
06-06-2012, 05:04 AM
your cousin is Paris Hilton?

BrianR
06-06-2012, 05:09 AM

HA! Somehow Phil I knew you would pick up on that.

pberggren1
06-06-2012, 07:27 AM
just not something I would want people to know.

mishb
06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
HA! Somehow Phil I knew you would pick up on that.

Yeah, I didn't want to ask :razz:

The Jubilee concert was shown on television last night and oh my goodness, some ageing rockers were in the mix, but you guys can certainly put on a show.

I love, love Cliff Richard (well, he comes second to my love for Elvis) but oh my, Cliff, that really wasn't a good performance. I thought he was wearing someone else's teeth for the night :thumbdn:
and then Elton John.......he obviously borrowed Cliff's teeth after Cliff was finished with them.....yep, they are getting old

The Queen was splendid......you just have to love her.
I loved how she was wearing earplugs for the concert what a classic ....but she is definately one classy lady.

......now vdub, let's hear about Paris!!!??

Dryhill
06-06-2012, 11:45 AM

Well if you want to have a share in our royalty all you have to do is get rid of your President and pay the back tax on that tea that got ruined and rejoin our empire. Oh by the way you do not have to give up on drinking coffee.

The downside - after hours of standing I seem to have acquired a slight vasculitic rash around my ankle, the first I have seen for 15 months! Hopefully it is not the start of anything worse!

Peter, I hope you are going to be well enough to make to the Surrey Vasculitis UK gathering.

Vdub - It's funny though, when I went to America, what struck me a lot was just how patriotic Americans were, as so many houses have the flag flying in their front gardens all the time. We don't seem to do that - only on special occasions.
I just don't know how an 86 year old and a 90 year old stood for 4.1/2 hours in the cold and damp on the Thames on that boat without sitting down. I can't do that for 1/2 hour on a good day !!

Fran

I often think we Brits are bad at the patriotic thing, then we go and do something like the Jubilee and then relise we do love our country. As for the standing, that is the main reason that I decided to watch it on tv, they are not bad for a couple of oap's.

I love, love Cliff Richard (well, he comes second to my love for Elvis) but oh my, Cliff, that really wasn't a good performance. I thought he was wearing someone else's teeth for the night :thumbdn:
and then Elton John.......he obviously borrowed Cliff's teeth after Cliff was finished with them.....yep, they are getting old.

I noticed that and I also thought Pual McCartney had a few problems as well, I did wonder how much the cold air might not be helping their vocal chords.

Jim

Al
06-06-2012, 12:24 PM
....I also thought Pual McCartney had a few problems as well, I did wonder how much the cold air might not be helping their vocal chords.
...Or too much sex, drugs, and rock and roll? Or too much superannuation?

Al

Dryhill
06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
...Or too much sex, drugs, and rock and roll? Or too much superannuation?

Al

I was just trying to be kind spirited, anyway he cannot be old as he is about the same age as me ......... come on the Beatles first number one was only a few years ago wasn't it?

Jim

vdub
06-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Yes, Phil, Paris is my cousin. She's about a 6th or 7th -- maybe further. Paris' great, great, great grandmother, Mary Laufersweiler (married to Augustus Hilton) was the sister to my great, great grandfather. Small world. I don't get any extra benefits at the hotel..... And she would probably turn down an invite to come to our family reunion. :-)

Dryhill
06-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, Phil, Paris is my cousin. She's about a 6th or 7th -- maybe further. Paris' great, great, great grandmother, Mary Laufersweiler (married to Augustus Hilton) was the sister to my great, great grandfather. Small world. I don't get any extra benefits at the hotel..... And she would probably turn down an invite to come to our family reunion. :-)

Not a very close family then. :flapper:

Jim

chrisTIn@
06-08-2012, 12:05 AM
I just loved the boatshow on the Thames, and the lightshow on Buckingham Palace.
Queen Elizabeth is amazing! Did not see her earplugs though...:rolleyes1::biggrin1: