PDA

View Full Version : Night Sweats

Psyborg
05-30-2012, 03:37 AM
Anyone know anything to help with these? I'm waiting for another infussion of RTX, and the night sweats are driving me crazy. I hate waking up feeling drenched no matter how light my covers seem to be. Might try just a sheet tonight :p

pberggren1
05-30-2012, 08:46 AM
I usually go without covers or just a sheet when this happens to me. Night sweats are good sign I am flaring.

crackers
05-30-2012, 10:25 AM
when i first started with WG,before i was diagnosed,i would wake up with the bed absolutely soaked.it wasn't just damp it was as if somebody had poured water on it.the only thing that stopped this was medication.
john.

drz
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
I had hypoglycemic episodes when on higher doses of pred and never knew if my sweats were from the hypo episodes, the fever and chills, or pred and other meds. Has a pharmacist evaluated you meds to see if anything might be contributing to the night sweats. Any chance you are having low blood sugar episodes that can make you sweaty? I remember a couple times though they had to change the bedding and my PJs since they were so soaked. I remember thinking I spilled my drinking water or left a window open and it had rained on my bed. I think some of the meds also impair your natural body temp regulation which might contribute. Too bad some of our long time regular members aren't able to respond to your post since they might have more experience with this stuff. Mine eventually became much milder as I got better but never went away entirely but don't require any linen changes since it is only a mild dampness now.

Al
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Bob, there are many possible explanations for night sweats. This fact probably delayed my own diagnosis and treatment for several years. There ware a couple of times that I also had nightly drenchings, which, in retrospect, were clearly flares. But they were less obvious at the time. Then, I thought the problem was bed covers that were too heavy. After a while, the sweats did go away, so I though that, perhaps, sleeping with only the sheets was the solution. The doctor was no help, as he also assumed a benign explanation. That's my story; sorry I don't have a temp fix for you!

Al

Pete
05-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi Bob,

I don't really have a fix for you, either. Night sweats coupled with extreme fatigue are two key indicators that I'm flaring. Increasing pred and immunosuppressant was the effective treatment. The amount of blankets didn't seem to matter.

Pete

Psyborg
05-30-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm sure I'm flaring...was just hoping for a fix for the sweats. The sheet only did help a little, but still got sweaty, hopefully I get back up for the RTX soon.

Al
05-31-2012, 04:38 AM
I'm sure I'm flaring...was just hoping for a fix for the sweats. The sheet only did help a little, but still got sweaty, hopefully I get back up for the RTX soon.Hope you get de-flared soon, Bob. Interesting: This thread seems to be a guys-only deal. Do women not get night sweats?

Al

Psyborg
05-31-2012, 08:37 AM
They don't sweat...they glisten :)

annekat
05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Hope you get de-flared soon, Bob. Interesting: This thread seems to be a guys-only deal. Do women not get night sweats?

Al I had some night sweats early on, and occasionally since, but it has never been like a drenching. With women of menopausal age or older, these can feel enough like hot flashes that it's hard to tell the difference. For me, the menopausal hot flashes were worse, and made it very hard to sleep sometimes. I would sleep with windows open and a fan directed at me even in cooler weather. I'm pretty much past the hot flash stage now, so if it happens, it's probably Wegs. I don't think I'm flaring, and am almost in remission, so I really don't get them, but if I get too stressed, I might have a mild one.

delorisdoe
06-01-2012, 03:26 AM
yes we do get night sweats.

Debbie C
06-01-2012, 06:46 AM
I agree with Ann..PMS was pretty bad but when I had c-diff it was terrrible.I would be so hot , sweating and soaking wet and tearing everything off me then later so cold I was shivering.This would go back and forth all night for about a month.Given too many antibiactics then...I won't take another one now if I had to.Maybe your just going thru a male PMS and its not a flare at all !!!
I like the remark about how we "glisten"

Al
06-01-2012, 03:35 PM
I agree with Ann..PMS was pretty bad but when I had c-diff it was terrrible.I would be so hot , sweating and soaking wet and tearing everything off me then later so cold I was shivering.This would go back and forth all night for about a month.Given too many antibiactics then...I won't take another one now if I had to.Maybe your just going thru a male PMS and its not a flare at all !!!
I like the remark about how we "glisten"Nocturnal glistening? Male menopause? Now you've given me something to think about!

Al

drz
06-02-2012, 01:56 AM
When I was back on higher dosages of pred I had "hot flashes" at times and sometimes slight fevers and chills. The nurses used to ask me if I was having a "hot flash", chills or fever, and frequently check me for these things. We can thank Wegs for broadening our horizons and giving lots of unique experiences that we would not have known otherwise.

Psyborg
06-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Man I hope they get this insurance approval worked out soon. Feeling a bit worse for wear every day. The prednisone is taking just enough of the edge off to keep it tolerable, but the knees are really hurting today.

Complete side question...My right knee developed something weird. If I hit the tendon on the outside it goes numb momentarily all the way to my toes. never noticed this before, but I've bumped it and got the reaction a few times now. Just feels weird.

Al
06-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Man I hope they get this insurance approval worked out soon. Feeling a bit worse for wear every day. The prednisone is taking just enough of the edge off to keep it tolerable, but the knees are really hurting today.

Complete side question...My right knee developed something weird. If I hit the tendon on the outside it goes numb momentarily all the way to my toes. never noticed this before, but I've bumped it and got the reaction a few times now. Just feels weird.Sounds like something neural, Bob. Let us know if you figure it out.

Al

Psyborg
06-07-2012, 09:50 PM
The knee hurt all day yesterday but is fine today. I'm inclined to think it's following my weggie joint pain.

Debbie C
06-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Bob..have u ever been had for a bone denisty test or checked for osterporsis (sp?) or is that just a women thing ? I know last time I was at CC they gave me a script for Fosamax for my bones,to take 1 once a week ,which of course I haven't yet. But the lower I get on my preds I can hear and feel my bones cricking. Maybe u should get checked for that ?!

Sangye
06-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Bob, that sure sounds like Wegs. :sad:

Debra, neither osteoporosis nor osteopenia will make your bones creak. If your joints are making more noise as you lower the pred it's due to adrenal weakness caused by pred. Weak adrenals cause tendons and ligaments to get too stretchy, so joints pop and make noises.

Psyborg
06-08-2012, 03:14 AM
I'll bring it up when I go up for the infusion...assuming I see anyone other than the people doing the infusion.

Chadwyck
06-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Just out of curiosity, are night sweats considered a medical issue or is it just a nuissance as a result of Wegener's? I'm getting them more and more just like prior to my diagnosis in 2010. It's been a while but now that it's happening all over again, it feels weird knowing that I had it so long ago and suddenly it's coming back. When a symptom is gone, I naturally believe it's gone for good... maybe I shouldn't keep my hopes up so high in the future.

crackers
06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Bob..have u ever been had for a bone denisty test or checked for osterporsis (sp?) or is that just a women thing ? I know last time I was at CC they gave me a script for Fosamax for my bones,to take 1 once a week ,which of course I haven't yet. But the lower I get on my preds I can hear and feel my bones cricking. Maybe u should get checked for that ?!

i'm having a DEXA bone density scan on monday.i had one five years ago so this one is to see if anything has changed.i was on two different calcium tablets.one was two a day every day and the other was one once a week but my rheumy has knocked off the weekly one now. anyone on pred should have a bone density scan.

Debbie C
06-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Bob, that sure sounds like Wegs. :sad:

Debra, neither osteoporosis nor osteopenia will make your bones creak. If your joints are making more noise as you lower the pred it's due to adrenal weakness caused by pred. Weak adrenals cause tendons and ligaments to get too stretchy, so joints pop and make noises.
Is that something I need to worry about with my adrenal glands, or will it all work it self out in the end ?

Al
06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Just out of curiosity, are night sweats considered a medical issue or is it just a nuissance as a result of Wegener's? I'm getting them more and more just like prior to my diagnosis in 2010. It's been a while but now that it's happening all over again, it feels weird knowing that I had it so long ago and suddenly it's coming back. When a symptom is gone, I naturally believe it's gone for good... maybe I shouldn't keep my hopes up so high in the future.Chadwyck, I read your post on the hemorrhaging before I saw this. Now I am quite sure that you are having a flare. There are other possible reasons for night sweats, but, in close conjunction with the hemoptysis (coughing up blood), this is the most likely explanation.

Al

drz
06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Just out of curiosity, are night sweats considered a medical issue or is it just a nuissance as a result of Wegener's? I'm getting them more and more just like prior to my diagnosis in 2010. It's been a while but now that it's happening all over again, it feels weird knowing that I had it so long ago and suddenly it's coming back. When a symptom is gone, I naturally believe it's gone for good... maybe I shouldn't keep my hopes up so high in the future.

Have you shared both of these new symptoms with your treating doctor? If not it sounds like time to call for immediate appointment and some lab work.

Sangye
06-14-2012, 03:27 AM
Increasing night sweats plus coughing up blood = Wegs flare. Call your doctor asap.

Psyborg
10-21-2014, 09:13 AM
So...thought I'd revisit this. Last night I was laying in bed and realized I hadn't had a bout of serious night sweats in a few months. Looked it up this morning and Night Sweats can be a side effect of Immuran. Switched to CellCept about the time they stopped. Anyway sorry to dredge up an old thread, but that might releive another persons concern if they have night sweats when feeling good.

Velma
10-23-2014, 02:06 PM
As a woman Methotrexate has put me into early menopause so I have night sweats from that as well.. so I sleep with a fan on--not directly on me but at an angle over the bottom corner of the bed. It helps. I am under the covers until it hits and then off the go and cool breeze helps cool me down. Yet another wonderful aspect of WG. ugh.