PDA

View Full Version : Question about Imuran and fevers

Jennie
05-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Hello Everyone

I am wondering if you could give me some advise...... I have been on Imuran for about a month, up to 150mg daily. Yesterday I started to get really achy, hot, cold, headache and developed a fever during the night, 38C. My husband has been sick with similar symptoms minus the fever so I think this might be viral. My Rheumatologist is away for the month of May and my family doctor is away until next week. The last time I saw my family doctor, she said I should go to the hospital if I get a fever while on Imuran. My temperature has been hovering between 37.7C and 38.2C since last night. Going to the hospital seems a bit excessive right now, so I thought I would check what you think?

Thanks

Jennie

drz
05-19-2012, 03:34 AM
Hello Everyone

I am wondering if you could give me some advise...... I have been on Imuran for about a month, up to 150mg daily. Yesterday I started to get really achy, hot, cold, headache and developed a fever during the night, 38C. My husband has been sick with similar symptoms minus the fever so I think this might be viral. My Rheumatologist is away for the month of May and my family doctor is away until next week. The last time I saw my family doctor, she said I should go to the hospital if I get a fever while on Imuran. My temperature has been hovering between 37.7C and 38.2C since last night. Going to the hospital seems a bit excessive right now, so I thought I would check what you think?

Thanks

Jennie

Been on imuran (generic form of azathioprine) for past year and half and get my lab work done monthly now and it was much frequent at first, weekly I think. When was yours last done? If not real recent I would go to walk in service or some place and get lab work updated. Some people can't metabolize imuran and this can cause serious problems for your liver so get it checked out ASAP.

pberggren1
05-19-2012, 05:46 AM
Hi Jennie:

I agree with drz. Go get your labs done if you have not had them done already this week.

Also, if your family doc thinks you should go to the ER then I think I would be highly inclined to do so.

What does your Rheumy think about going to the ER if you have a fever? Do you have your Rheumy's cell number or e-mail address? Are you able to contact her while she is away?

Jennie
05-23-2012, 03:52 AM
Thanks drz and Phil. I took both of your advice, went and got bloodwork done on Friday morning. When I got home though I realized no one would see the results until today so off I went to emergency. Had more bloodwork done there and a chest xray, with the exception of slightly elevated ESR and CRP everything seemed ok. Feeling a lot better today and even went camping with my husband and our 3 boys on the weekend. I will check with my family doctor this week about the slight elevation in bloodwork results just to make sure all is ok.Thanks for the great advice and have a great week.

Jennie

Al
05-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Jennie, the lab work you want, in order to tell if you can handle Imuran, is the liver enzyme panel.

Al