PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives

freakyschizogirl
05-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Hi all

I am just wishing to pick a few people's brains on what their thoughts are on different treatments avaliable. One of my local hospitals is offering Reiki sessions, a few people have suggested a chiropracter and massage - has anyone tried these out and what sucess or lack of sucess have you had?

I'm having monthly back massages now and find they really do help with the creakiness and mobility in my upper back.

pberggren1
05-18-2012, 06:14 AM
I'm not sure what Reiki is but I think it is new age so I would stay away from that.

With massage we have to be careful not to get deep tissue massage if we have been on ctx or other chemo meds. Those meds build up in our tissues and can be released in toxic quantities when we get a massage. So just a light massage now and then is the most we can do.

As far as chiropractic treatment goes I say go for it. I personally could not live without my chiro. I have had great success. I went from not being able to walk or do much at all to almost dancing in less than 10 minutes.

delorisdoe
05-18-2012, 06:38 AM
dance like nobody is watching phil...

pberggren1
05-18-2012, 07:14 AM
dance like nobody is watching phil...

That's how I dance all the time......lol.

Dryhill
05-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Sam, as I have stated before I can not go very long without seeing my osteopath, but that is for correcting an ongoing back problem (which of course my weight does not help). I would have thought either an osteopath or a chiropractor would be great to sort out your back.

Oh by the way I like your William Blake quotation.

Jim

Lightwarrior
05-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi all

I am just wishing to pick a few people's brains on what their thoughts are on different treatments avaliable. One of my local hospitals is offering Reiki sessions, a few people have suggested a chiropracter and massage - has anyone tried these out and what sucess or lack of sucess have you had?

I'm having monthly back massages now and find they really do help with the creakiness and mobility in my upper back.

I have never had Reiki but I would love to. I have had and am considered qualified to use healing touch. I may be wrong but I think Reiki is very close to healing touch except they use symbols. My gut feeling is that it would not hurt you. Maybe Sangye can weigh in.

freakyschizogirl
05-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Oh by the way I like your William Blake quotation.

Jim

Me too Jim, came by it by accident while searching for something else. I do love a bit of William Blake - studied him at college.

drz
05-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Have you checked out this site which tries to offer info on alternative and complementary treatments so people don't screw up regular treatments. Do a search there and several articles on Reiki come up.

Home Page | NCCAM (http://www.nccam.nih.gov/)

Hi all

drz
05-18-2012, 10:52 PM
I found this info on risks of massage therapy:

Safety
Massage therapy appears to have few serious risks—if it is performed by a properly trained
therapist and if appropriate cautions are followed. The number of serious injuries reported is
very small. Side effects of massage therapy may include temporary pain or discomfort,
bruising, swelling, and a sensitivity or allergy to massage oils.
Cautions about massage therapy include the following:
 Vigorous massage should be avoided by people with bleeding disorders or low blood
platelet counts, and by people taking blood-thinning medications such as warfarin.
 Massage should not be done in any area of the body with blood clots, fractures, open or
healing wounds, skin infections, or weakened bones (such as from osteoporosis or cancer),
or where there has been a recent surgery.
 Although massage therapy appears to be generally safe for cancer patients, they should
consult their oncologist before having a massage that involves deep or intense pressure.
Any direct pressure over a tumor usually is discouraged. Cancer patients should discuss
any concerns about massage therapy with their oncologist.
 Pregnant women should consult their health care provider before using massage therapy

I'm not sure what Reiki is but I think it is new age so I would stay away from that.

With massage we have to be careful not to get deep tissue massage if we have been on ctx or other chemo meds. Those meds build up in our tissues and can be released in toxic quantities when we get a massage. So just a light massage now and then is the most we can do.

As far as chiropractic treatment goes I say go for it. I personally could not live without my chiro. I have had great success. I went from not being able to walk or do much at all to almost dancing in less than 10 minutes.

Lightwarrior
05-19-2012, 03:44 AM
Have you checked out this site which tries to offer info on alternative and complementary treatments so people don't screw up regular treatments. Do a search there and several articles on Reiki come up.

Home Page | NCCAM (http://www.nccam.nih.gov/)

Thanks for the cool site

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2012, 08:00 AM
I was really hoping Sangye would've waded in by now...

And whats wrong with new age Phil? Are you of the old school?

Thanks drz for the link and info.

Dirty Don
05-19-2012, 08:20 AM
And whats wrong with new age Phil? Are you of the old school?

Rock N Roll or good club music...LOVE Katy Perry! Makes me dance, and I sure need it! LOL

pberggren1
05-19-2012, 02:14 PM
New Age movement is of modernism and comes from hell.

Al
05-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Sam, I would say hat whatever works for you is worth consideration--remembering that they are all adjuncts to stardard treatment, rather than replacements for.

For what it's worth, I go to the gm 4-5 days a week, and do Qigong regularly (sOrt of like Tai-Chi, though it involves more breathing). Reiki, as I understand it, is sort of like Japanese Qigong.

Phil: I'm not so sure about the reasoning behind "shun the masage". Cytoxan already is into yuur deep tissues, even without the sassage. That's how it works. I'm not at alll sure that Massage makes matters worse.Al

pberggren1
05-19-2012, 05:18 PM
From what I have researched Al, deep tissue massage can release the built up ctx out of the tissue and muscles in large quantities enough to possibly kill.

freakyschizogirl
05-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Rock N Roll or good club music...LOVE Katy Perry! Makes me dance, and I sure need it! LOL

Would love to see you dancing to Katy Perry!

drz
05-20-2012, 01:48 AM
From what I have researched Al, deep tissue massage can release the built up ctx out of the tissue and muscles in large quantities enough to possibly kill.

Do you have any references or proof about this theory since it sounds pretty far fetched? Drugs usually have a half life and lose their potency usually in a period of a few hours or days. Here is a link on half life of CTX: Cytoxan Official FDA information, side effects and uses. (http://www.drugs.com/pro/cytoxan.html) and how it is excreted from our body. Some of the metabolites might be bound into our body on a long term basis but where did you find any research evidence that massage might release them and cause harm.

My short acting insulin only lasts a few hours. Sometimes a bolus can get caught in a fat pocket or scar tissue and not appear to work at all and it will expire before it reaches rest of my body.

Dirty Don
05-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Would love to see you dancing to Katy Perry!

Y'know...I try, but it ain't pretty, but a lot of fun!! Where I live, it's kinda difficult to get DJs to play club music, let alone Katy Perry, for the age group I'm in! LMAO! Then again, some peeps would say 'grow up'...thought about it, nah...still love Katy!!! Hehe...

Dryhill
05-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Y'know...I try, but it ain't pretty, but a lot of fun!! Where I live, it's kinda difficult to get DJs to play club music, let alone Katy Perry, for the age group I'm in! LMAO! Then again, some peeps would say 'grow up'...thought about it, nah...still love Katy!!! Hehe...

I am not going to make any comment on Katy Perry, but what I will say is growing up is highly over-rated. I intend to stay a kid for the rest of my life ......... now which star do I follow to morning?

Jim

drz
05-20-2012, 10:52 AM

Do you have Katy Perry ringtones on your cell phone? We can keep calling you then if that will help--just don't answer the phone.

pberggren1
05-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Do you have any references or proof about this theory since it sounds pretty far fetched? Drugs usually have a half life and lose their potency usually in a period of a few hours or days. Here is a link on half life of CTX: Cytoxan Official FDA information, side effects and uses. (http://www.drugs.com/pro/cytoxan.html) and how it is excreted from our body. Some of the metabolites might be bound into our body on a long term basis but where did you find any research evidence that massage might release them and cause harm.

My short acting insulin only lasts a few hours. Sometimes a bolus can get caught in a fat pocket or scar tissue and not appear to work at all and it will expire before it reaches rest of my body.

I have no proof but am just going on what I remember reading and hearing from others. I remember my naturopath and chiro telling me this as well.

Dirty Don
05-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Do you have Katy Perry ringtones on your cell phone? We can keep calling you then if that will help--just don't answer the phone.

LOL...I don't have a cell phone...just cuz of that!! LOL...wife keeps it...if you want me, you gotta find me!! Or bring Katy, then I"ll come out...maybe!

PS: I do have her on my Ipod though...Firework!!!

freakyschizogirl
05-20-2012, 10:03 PM
I've tried growing up, now i'm growing back down again. Its so overrated.

I remember reading something similiar about deep tissue massage and cancer treatments. They suggest you talk to your consultant before having one.

Baby you're a fiiiiiiiiiirework!

annekat
05-21-2012, 01:39 AM
I'm sure I remember Sangye warning us about deep massages. So look forward to hearing from her on this. But it has been a long time since I had any kind of massage, and even a foot massage would be heavenly after a long day. Of course, I can sort of do that myself, but it's not the same!

freakyschizogirl
05-21-2012, 02:53 AM
I am now having a monthly back massage as i find this helps soooo much with my creaky back. And of course its relaxing too :wink1:

I get my fiance to give me foot massages tho he hasnt got a professional's touch its better than nothing!

drz
05-21-2012, 10:37 AM
i get a brief foot massage with my pedicures and find they improve my circulation so my feet are less numb for a couple hours afterward. I bet a nice long foot massage everyday would help ward off or reduce neuropathy of the feet.

I'm sure I remember Sangye warning us about deep massages. So look forward to hearing from her on this. But it has been a long time since I had any kind of massage, and even a foot massage would be heavenly after a long day. Of course, I can sort of do that myself, but it's not the same!

annekat
05-21-2012, 11:55 AM
i get a brief foot massage with my pedicures and find they improve my circulation so my feet are less numb for a couple hours afterward. I bet a nice long foot massage everyday would help ward off or reduce neuropathy of the feet. I was thinking the same thing about the neuropathy. I've also thought of getting one of those massaging foot bath things. And there are those sandals with the little nubby things all over to stimulate your nerve endings. Saw some in a discount store today but they were mens sizes. My neuropathy is pretty mild at this point, so those things might help, but I don't know what they would do for someone with a really bad case.

pberggren1
05-21-2012, 01:24 PM
I think you are right drz about the foot massage helping with the PN.

drz
05-22-2012, 01:05 AM
I wear the Croc sandals a lot especially in house and I have less numbness when wearing them than i do from my orthopedic shoes. I have also used the foot massage bath thing too which helps a little but haven't tried using one every day to see if it makes any difference. I like regular massages much better and think they do a much better job stimulating circulation and reducing muscle tension and relieving cramps. i would like to have one every day if I could.
My neuropathy is pretty severe as i have had it for years due to diabetes.

I was thinking the same thing about the neuropathy. I've also thought of getting one of those massaging foot bath things. And there are those sandals with the little nubby things all over to stimulate your nerve endings. Saw some in a discount store today but they were mens sizes. My neuropathy is pretty mild at this point, so those things might help, but I don't know what they would do for someone with a really bad case.

annekat
05-22-2012, 04:26 AM
I wear the Croc sandals a lot especially in house and I have less numbness when wearing them than i do from my orthopedic shoes. I have also used the foot massage bath thing too which helps a little but haven't tried using one every day to see if it makes any difference. I like regular massages much better and think they do a much better job stimulating circulation and reducing muscle tension and relieving cramps. i would like to have one every day if I could.
My neuropathy is pretty severe as i have had it for years due to diabetes. I wasn't aware of Crocs sandals and just looked at them online.... some have nubs in the footbeds, although the nubs look pretty small. Anyway, there is a large variety of styles and they are pretty reasonably priced. I've been looking at a lot of sandals online. I'll look for these in the stores so I can try them on.

drz
05-22-2012, 08:46 AM
I buy mine at an outlet Mall and they are cheap. My first causal pair was $20 and my dress pair for outside stuff was $40.

I wasn't aware of Crocs sandals and just looked at them online.... some have nubs in the footbeds, although the nubs look pretty small. Anyway, there is a large variety of styles and they are pretty reasonably priced. I've been looking at a lot of sandals online. I'll look for these in the stores so I can try them on.

annekat
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
I buy mine at an outlet Mall and they are cheap. My first causal pair was $20 and my dress pair for outside stuff was $40. According to the Crocs site, they are only available here from Seattle north and up into British Columbia. But I don't quite believe that, since I know that regular Crocs clogs are sold in stores around here. So I'll keep my eye out.