PDA

View Full Version : MTX and watering eyes

Julbkwrm
05-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Good Afternoon Everyone.

I just started MTX on Saturday (2@ 2.5), and I have noticed that my eyes are watering every day. Has anyone else had this problem? it is driving me crazy, and it looks like I am super emotional. Not he way I want to be precieved at work.

Thanks.

Dirty Don
05-17-2012, 04:42 AM
Hi, your mtx seems a low dose, doubt it's that, but who knows...Sangye or Al may know more/better. As for the emotions, welcome to the world of drugs...are you also on prednisone? If so, there's your answer...good luck, be persistent, ask questions!

Julbkwrm
05-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Hi, your mtx seems a low dose, doubt it's that, but who knows...Sangye or Al may know more/better. As for the emotions, welcome to the world of drugs...are you also on prednisone? If so, there's your answer...good luck, be persistent, ask questions!

Hi Don,

Yes I am also on Predmisone, but have been since February, and the watery eyes are a new thing, so that it why I put it with the MTX. Thanks for your input.

Sangye
05-17-2012, 07:17 AM
I haven't seen that side effect with mtx, but it doesn't mean it can't happen. I have seen a number of people in the group who have problems with excessive tearing, even to the degree that they constantly look like they're crying. Hopefully they'll chime in with the causes and resolution.

Sangye
05-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Just occurred to me that in Chinese medicine there is a triad of liver-eyes-emotions. Mtx is hard on the liver, so it could be causing the excessive tearing. If your liver enzymes are normal, don't expect an MD to understand or believe this!:glare:

annekat
05-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I have had the watering eyes a lot since my treatment began, but I haven't been on MTX yet, although I'm about to start. I've been on Cytoxan, Prednisone, and Bactrim so far. The eye watering has improved, but seems to be starting up a bit again as we enter allergy season. We'll see what happens when I start the MTX.

mishb
05-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Just occurred to me that in Chinese medicine there is a triad of liver-eyes-emotions. Mtx is hard on the liver, so it could be causing the excessive tearing. If your liver enzymes are normal, don't expect an MD to understand or believe this!:glare:

I have been on MTX 20mg for about a year (started at 10mg and slowly increased to 20) and have not had this eye watering problem.

My mother-in-law was diagnosed many years ago with Hep C and of course, her liver was shot.
Her eyes watered all of the time and she was always using tissues to wipe them.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with your liver, but just make sure you have regular blood tests to keep an eye on it.

Yvonnea
05-18-2012, 06:54 AM
I have the same problem...although not as bad now that I am in remission.
Told problem is that the tear ducts get smaller as we age....and that there are some implants that they can put in to try and rectify the problem but not always successful....not happy with that answer as I am only in my mid thirties, and the surgery seemed excessive.
Also diagnosed with a cataract but as my vision is fine they will just do regular checks on that.
Think the general feeling from the Doc was that I should shut up and put up......:-(

annekat
05-18-2012, 11:30 AM
I have the same problem...although not as bad now that I am in remission.
Told problem is that the tear ducts get smaller as we age....and that there are some implants that they can put in to try and rectify the problem but not always successful....not happy with that answer as I am only in my mid thirties, and the surgery seemed excessive.
Also diagnosed with a cataract but as my vision is fine they will just do regular checks on that.
Think the general feeling from the Doc was that I should shut up and put up......:-( Well, it seems like the tear ducts would get smaller, making it harder for tears to drain into them, when our whole sinus area is swollen and inflamed, as would be the case with a lot of us with sinus involvement. And I'd think this would happen with allergy sufferers, too.

julia
05-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Never took mtx.
Had watery eyes was on pred at the time and maybe cytoxin for part.
It was very annoying.
Hope it clears up.

Jennie
05-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Hello

I too had watery eyes while on MTX. I was on it for about 3-4 months and just gave up on wearing any eye makeup as i would be constantly wiping it off and getting lovely black smears under my eyes. Anyway the MTX wasnt working for my symptoms so I am now on Imuran and watery eyes doesnt seem to be a problem.

drz
05-19-2012, 03:39 AM
I thought my watery eyes were related to the pred meds and eyes being too dry. Strange as it sounds my treatment was to add artificial tears several times a day since doctor told me my eyes were too dry and tearing to try moisten them. Still have some excess tears but less than before. I have not used MTX though since it is too hard on kidneys.

JanW
05-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Never had watering eyes and been on mtx since March 2010. Current does 5 mg/weekly.