PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Cohen

marta
05-15-2012, 03:34 AM
Leonard Cohen is getting the Glenn Gould Award this year for lifetime achievement.

Mission Statement

The mission of The Glenn Gould Foundation is to honour Glenn Gould’s spirit and legacy by celebrating brilliance, promoting creativity and transforming lives through the power of music and the arts with the Foundation's signature activities, including The Glenn Gould Prize.

The Glenn Gould Foundation - Ninth Prize (2011) (http://glenngould.ca/ninth-prize-2011/)

I am listening to CBC right now and as they talk about Leonard Cohen and also what the Glenn Gould prize is about, I can't help think of our wonderful friend who was a fan and did for us with his words what Leonard is being recognized for with his music. Rest in peace Jack. Love you!

Just sayin'

annekat
05-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Whew! I was afraid of bad news since he's getting up there in years. I'm glad to hear of this. I've liked Leonard since around 1968. And I did have the pleasure of reading many of Jack's posts before he passed. Rest in peace, Jack.

pberggren1
05-15-2012, 07:33 AM
This is just odd. I had a dream about Jack last night. In fact I had a dream about many Weggies. Many of us were sitting around a big table and laughing.

drz
05-15-2012, 08:07 AM
We all wish Jack could watch this presentation. Jack was really a great asset to all of us here and is greatly missed.

renidrag
05-16-2012, 12:14 AM
A weggie one day was walking down Main Street and saw a man he recognized but had not really met. He stepped up his pace as this man approached, slowing just three steps away. As he stopped and doffed his cap he simply said "hi Jack" but to his surprise the man replied " I am sorry but my name is Leonard, Leonard Cohen." I miss Jack.
Dale

Palmyra
05-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Thank you for sharing this with us Marta. Geographic distance doesn't matter so much when one has such rich common experience. Jack and his avatar made us very wealthy indeed.

chrisTIn@
05-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Wonderfull Marta!
I've got Leonard Cohens latest album 'Old Ideas', and whenever I listen to it I remember Jack too.

Leonard Cohen Music : Old Ideas | The Official Leonard Cohen Site (http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/music/old-ideas)

Sangye
05-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks Marta. I still expect to see Jack here all the time. I miss him so much. :sad:

annekat
05-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Wonderfull Marta!
I've got Leonard Cohens latest album 'Old Ideas', and whenever I listen to it I remember Jack too.

Leonard Cohen Music : Old Ideas | The Official Leonard Cohen Site (http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/music/old-ideas) That's cool, when you click on the song title it gives the lyrics for each song. I wish I'd known Jack better and had stopped lurking and started posting in the months before he left us.

Al
05-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks, Marta! I knew Jack only from his posts (and the posts about him); Glenn Gould, only from his recordings and writings (and writings about him); Leonard Cohen has music and his hat, both of which I am partial to. To my way of thinking, they have all added immensely to our humanity.

Oh, and Phil, maybe some day we will all gather around the table, wearing hats, and laugh and share stories.

Al

Alysia
03-20-2015, 05:37 AM
This is just odd. I had a dream about Jack last night. In fact I had a dream about many Weggies. Many of us were sitting around a big table and laughing.

seems like the meeting they are having in heaven.... pain free and joyful....

annekat
03-20-2015, 05:49 AM
Oh, and Phil, maybe some day we will all gather around the table, wearing hats, and laugh and share stories.

Al Another one who has joined the table with Phil, Jack, Lightwarrior, Barbara and many others. Thank you, Alysia, for finding these old posts and threads.

Alysia
03-20-2015, 05:53 AM
Another one who has joined the table with Phil, Jack, Lightwarrior, Barbara and many others. Thank you, Alysia, for finding these old posts and threads.

chilling... another weggie passed this week, I saw on facebook.... tears....

annekat
03-20-2015, 05:59 AM
chilling... another weggie passed this week, I saw on facebook.... tears.... And lets not forget Trish, whom we also just recently lost.

Debbie C
03-20-2015, 12:08 PM
I don't know maybe its me but I find it sad to look back with all the people we used to talk to and laugh with that are no longer around. It makes me think about my own mortality and how quickly things can change.

annekat
03-20-2015, 03:33 PM
I don't know maybe its me but I find it sad to look back with all the people we used to talk to and laugh with that are no longer around. It makes me think about my own mortality and how quickly things can change. Well, yes, it is sad. But we can't help but run into their posts, which bring back memories of them and their individual personalities, and all the great and sometimes funny things they had to say. The mortality thing is always there whether we have Wegs or not. We go through it with family members, friends, and forum members. I'm happy that so many of us are getting proper treatment and doing well. We seem to be in the majority. Even those who are having to struggle more are hanging in there quite well. I'm just glad the forum is here, and occasionally losing people just can't be helped, unfortunately. But we are so much better off than we would be without each other.

Debbie C
03-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Oh I know Anne they will always be a part of us and we will always run into a thread they are on. I'm just saying ,I quess, that its sad that they are no longer with us and it just makes me think

annekat
03-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Oh I know Anne they will always be a part of us and we will always run into a thread they are on. I'm just saying ,I quess, that its sad that they are no longer with us and it just makes me think It's OK, Debra... no criticism intended. You are right, it is sad, and it does make us think and wonder about our own future and those of the others on here.

Alysia
03-21-2015, 05:12 AM
Today I had a meeting with a patient who lost her mother about a month ago. she said that couple of friends, good friends, disappeared from her life. she felt hurt and lonely. I told her that it is not because they don't love her or don't care for her but because its kind of "survival instinct" for certain people, to stay away from grief and death and mourning etc.
Phil's father told me too that the house is empty. no one come. people prefer to stay away. Its also what we need to talk about, which is our longing to Phil. almost nothing else. I feel blessed that we understand each other. we can cry together.
some of my friends also stay away from me, can't bear my grief. I don't blame them. I can't bear my grief so how can others bear it ??
I am grateful for those who can stay with me. I have a friend who insist to come and visit me although I know that it is tough because I cry so much. I am grateful for friends here who can endure me, amd continue with precious support.
Thank you Anne, Michelle, Lisa T. Cindy, Jacquie, Gwen. it means a lot. I love you.
sorry if I forget to mention anyone.

annekat
03-21-2015, 06:27 AM
You are welcome, Alysia. It is sad that people who care about people will feel the need to stay away from a grieving person. Perhaps they think the grieving person wants to be alone with their grief, and they don't know what to say, plus they don't like being reminded of death and grieving. That is a somewhat cowardly way of thinking and not very caring toward the grieving person, who will let us know if they want to be alone, but otherwise may welcome some attention from others and the chance to talk not only about their grief and the person they have lost, but other things, too. I know you will always grieve, Alysia, but have noticed you are becoming more and more interested in other things, too, and in other people and what they are going through. It doesn't mean that you love Phil any less or will grieve for him any less, it just means that humans need each other and life goes on. I think about you a lot, as do many of us on here, I'm sure.

Alysia
03-21-2015, 10:58 PM
You are welcome, Alysia. It is sad that people who care about people will feel the need to stay away from a grieving person. Perhaps they think the grieving person wants to be alone with their grief, and they don't know what to say, plus they don't like being reminded of death and grieving. That is a somewhat cowardly way of thinking and not very caring toward the grieving person, who will let us know if they want to be alone, but otherwise may welcome some attention from others and the chance to talk not only about their grief and the person they have lost, but other things, too. I know you will always grieve, Alysia, but have noticed you are becoming more and more interested in other things, too, and in other people and what they are going through. It doesn't mean that you love Phil any less or will grieve for him any less, it just means that humans need each other and life goes on. I think about you a lot, as do many of us on here, I'm sure.

Thank you Anne. you are very kind, feels like good mother to me.
I don't blame or judge anyone, each one with his story.
at the days that I post more it is because Phil visited me in a dream or sent me some "gift" and this reminds me of the joy of being with him and then I feel better. at other days the world is so dark and empty. pain is coming in waves.
I also want to thank those who "like" quietly like Dale. Jaha, Jeanmarie, drz, Pete. and also to thank vdub and andrew for their support on pm. sorry if I forget to mention anyone.
I want to thank those who are with me even if I dont know that they are. God bless you all. I love you.