PDA

View Full Version : sunshine tolerated?

newweg
05-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Anyone get worse after being outside in the sun. I was at sporting event and I wonder if it escalated this recent flare?

Dryhill
05-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I have not heard of sun causing a flare (other than the sun naturally has solar flares all of its own), but due to our lowered immune system skin cancers are more likely than normal so do not overdo the sun bathing. Having said that a bit of sun helps as we get vitamin D from the sun.

Jim

pberggren1
05-08-2012, 12:04 PM
After Wegs came along I was way more sensitive to heat and sunlight. I always look for shade and a cool drink now, or just stay inside.

Sangye
05-08-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm also way more sensitive to sun and heat. From an Ayurvedic perspective, Wegs is due to an excess of the fire element, so being in the heat will exacerbate it. My onset and flares have all been in the summer.

Dirty Don
05-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Through golf in the desert, I am exposed quite a bit to the sun's rays. The only thing I've felt I've had to deal with is the fact that my endurance isn't up to it...yet. Otherwise, no effects from the intense sun out here. Now over time that may prove to be otherwise...but I ain't goin' inside till I have to! Not into all the ifs and maybes of diseases or otherwise.

Al
05-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Anyone get worse after being outside in the sun. I was at sporting event and I wonder if it escalated this recent flare?Susan, remember that the "immune system" is not just about fighting infections, but is the body's main life regulation organ, meaning that it is heavily involved with repairing damage of whatever source, including too much radiation. So it is possible that a lot of sun will "fire up" the immune system, and thus increase the risk of flare (this is especially so when there are other stresses in your life). Beyond this, it is a specific warning for prednisone users to limit sun exposure. Pred makes the skin more vulnerable to radiation damage, and increases the risk of skin cancers. Personally, despite the vitamin D argument, I do not spend a lot of time in the sun (I know; this is a gratuitous statement from me, living in the northwest!) without SPF 30 or better.

Al

newweg
05-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Good point Al. I need to be aware. I thought I would be there maybe 2 hours, my kid won at a sporting event and moved on to next level. Couldn't leave and it was not really expected. Would sunscreen help, large hat, long sleeves... that kind of thing? With active kids and summer around the corner I will find myself in situations like this again. I suppose I could have found shade, if I thought of it!

Dirty Don
05-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Shade & covering up is good, liquids (ice water in particular) are mandatory...might be the drugs, might be the WG, but I never go anywhere without water anymore, but I don't stay indoors either. Hope your kid keeps winning! Good luck!

Al
05-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Good point Al. I need to be aware. I thought I would be there maybe 2 hours, my kid won at a sporting event and moved on to next level. Couldn't leave and it was not really expected. Would sunscreen help, large hat, long sleeves... that kind of thing? With active kids and summer around the corner I will find myself in situations like this again. I suppose I could have found shade, if I thought of it!Yes, Susan--all of the above. Personally, I never go anywhere without a hat, but I do not have the protective fur on my noggin, for either winter or summer. Anyway, from your profile picture, I'd say that you would look great in a floppy-brimmed arrangement.

Al

annekat
05-09-2012, 06:59 AM
My eyes are definitely more sensitive to the sun with Wegs. Haven't had enough real heat this year to judge that, but I've noticed I don't always feel cold when others do.

newweg
05-09-2012, 12:11 PM
HAHA, I actually have one!:thumbsup:

Debbie C
05-09-2012, 12:35 PM
I used to always be out in the sun,but the other day when it was nice I sat out in the sun for about 10 mins., I went inside to get something and my chest and arms and cheeks were beat red. When I went to my dermatologist last month ,there was a magazine there called Sun Precautions (with a website under same name) has hats and clothing.Some are a little pricey but may be worth it if you need or want to be out in the sun for awhile.

newweg
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't really want to but with 2 teenagers, my oldest is over 30, and 3 grandkids might be difficult to avoid. Thanks!