PDA

View Full Version : headaches

mama2005
04-18-2012, 03:06 PM
I have tried a ton of things but nothing is getting rid of my headache I have had it about a week and am not ready to call the doctor anyone have any suggestions.

mishb
04-18-2012, 10:25 PM
mama, a headache for over a week ....... my suggestion is .........now is time to go and see your doctor

Is it a sinus headache across your brow, or is it more like a migraine, does it run up the side of your temples.
There can be many reasons. Are you drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, too much stress, eyes overworked on the computer.
Maybe your neck is out and you need it massaged, does food seem to trigger it, have you tried an ice pack?

My daughter suffered terribly with migraines but, as you can see, there are just too many variables that can be the cause of your headache......pleaase go an get it checked out

Sangye
04-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Great ideas, Michelle! :thumbsup:

Also: how is your blood pressure? Any changes to your meds?

I suggest seeing a chiropractor. They can diagnose what type of headache you're having and find the underlying cause. Last week I had a headache that persisted for 3 days. It stopped immediately after one adjustment by my chiropractor. It was a simple misalignment in the neck. My neck hadn't been hurting-- not all misalignments are painful. Massage is wonderful but it won't realign bones.

pberggren1
04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
I strongly suggest a chiro as well. I have not had a bad headache in over a year since seeing a chiro. But, I do suggest contacting your Wegs doc as well.

freakyschizogirl
04-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Would a chiropractor help with a stiff and clicking back? My back seems to be getting worse these days, i told my docs at Adds and she said it was weight related - i was actually very disapointed when she said this, especially since i am on Pred and taking Adcal D-3.

Sangye
04-21-2012, 11:12 AM
A chiropractor will most likely be able to help your back whether or not the problem is coming from your weight. Pred causes weight gain in the abdomen, which increases the forward curve of the low back. That can cause low back pain or pain further up the spine. Pred weight gain also increases the breast mass, which puts stress on the mid back. If your pain is due to weight gain putting stress on the spine, then that means vertebrae are being misaligned. Chiropractic will decrease the pain, but ultimately weight loss is necessary or the vertebrae will continue to be pulled out of alignment. Getting adjusted makes it easier to exercise and lose weight though, because your pain is diminished while range of motion and flexibility are improved.

The clicking you're experiencing is due to some spinal joints becoming hypermobile to compensate for neighboring hypomobile joints. If left uncorrected, all of the joints experiencing aberrant motion will develop arthritic changes as the joint is subjected to abnormal wear and tear. This is also how spinal discs are damaged.

I doubt that your doc did a proper assessment to determine the source of the pain. They're not trained to assess vertebral alignment.

pberggren1
04-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Certainly not the response you were looking for Sam.

Even healthy people should see chiros.

freakyschizogirl
04-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Thanks Phil and Sangye, i have a Chiropracter who works just down the road so i will deffo look into this.

I really dont think this is weight related tho, i have been this weight before and it hasnt caused any back problems. Fear not, i am getting my fiance to kick my butt and do some exercise, so that should help too. :thumbup:

Dryhill
04-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Mama, I can not comment on using a chiropracter but I use an Osteopath. I know I am overdue to see him when I start getting headaches and it is usually due to stress/misalignment of the upper spine.

Sam, I am afraid Sangye is right about the weight causing stress on the back, that is something we more spacious (or short for our weight) souls have to put up with. Again I have found an Osteopath to be essential.

Jim

Sangye
04-22-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't know if the weight is causing the pain, but it is definitely not helping. And eventually it will cause pain. It's a matter of physics-- the extra weight changes how force is applied to the joints and that causes abnormal wear and tear over time. Lose it now while you can, Sam. It gets MUCH harder as you get older, even without Wegs or pred as factors.

freakyschizogirl
04-23-2012, 08:01 AM
This is probably gonna sound like a silly question but whats the difference between a Chiropracter and a Osteopath?

vdub
04-23-2012, 08:56 AM
I've had persistent headaches ever since they did the slice and dice on my brain. No cause has been discovered. I'm on a constant, light dose of codiene, which keeps it in check. If you can't find a cause for your headaches, you might have to go the same route. But let's hope you can find a cause.

pberggren1
04-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Do you see a chiropractor vdub?

vdub
04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
No, haven't done that. I have been to a neurologist, tho. They did all sorts of tests, but no joy....

drz
04-23-2012, 10:51 AM
This is probably gonna sound like a silly question but whats the difference between a Chiropracter and a Osteopath?

An osteopath often functions much like other MDs and can do surgery or practice psychiatry or other medical specialities as their training has become much more similar recently. Osteopaths are very prevalent in some states like Missouri. In the past they had more training in some things that chiropractors do like spinal manipulation and can do those too if they think it needed. Quote from Wikipedia: According to Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison%27s_Principles_of_Internal_Medicine), "the training, practice, credentialing, licensure, and reimbursement of osteopathic physicians is virtually indistinguishable from those of physicians with MD qualifications, with 4 years of osteopathic medical school followed by specialty and subspecialty training and [board] certification."[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Osteopathic_Medicine#cite_note-Harrisons-6) However, osteopathic physicians also receive an additional 300 – 500 hours in the study of hands-on manual medicine and the body's musculoskeletal system integrated into the medical curriculum, which is referred to as Osteopathic manipulative medicine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_manipulative_medicine)[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Osteopathic_Medicine#cite_note-7)

Al
04-23-2012, 06:03 PM
What drz says. Also, as Sangye has discussed in an earlier thread, there are historical considerations--turf battles and such--that have impacted the acceptance of the various strains of healing arts and sciences.

Al

Sangye
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Osteopaths say the circulatory system controls everything, and that normalizing the flow of it will normalize body function. Chiropractors say the central nervous system controls everything, and that normalizing the flow of it will normalize body function. Chiropractors are obviously right, because what controls blood vessels? THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. Heh.

Osteopaths used to practice osteopathy, which focuses on gentle adjustments of the cranio-sacral system. Sadly, they agreed to play that down in order to gain acceptance by MDs. Over many years, they morphed into MDs. Nowadays it's very rare to find an osteopath who actually does osteopathy. The American Osteopathy Association called it a "dead art" in the 1990's.

Chiropractors are a more stubborn breed and refuse to morph into anything else.

Al
04-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Osteopaths say the circulatory system controls everything, and that normalizing the flow of it will normalize body function. Chiropractors say the central nervous system controls everything, and that normalizing the flow of it will normalize body function. Chiropractors are obviously right, because what controls blood vessels? THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. Heh.

Osteopaths used to practice osteopathy, which focuses on gentle adjustments of the cranio-sacral system. Sadly, they agreed to play that down in order to gain acceptance by MDs. Over many years, they morphed into MDs. Nowadays it's very rare to find an osteopath who actually does osteopathy. The American Osteopathy Association called it a "dead art" in the 1990's.

Chiropractors are a more stubborn breed and refuse to morph into anything else.I, too, miss the old school osteopathy....

Al

Sangye
04-25-2012, 03:08 AM
If you can find an osteopath who truly practices it, I highly recommend seeing them. You have to find one who learned it from the old-timers. (Like chiropractic, it can't be learned from a textbook or video.) Unfortunately the old osteopaths are dying off.

Dryhill
04-25-2012, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=Sangye;58012]Osteopaths used to practice osteopathy, which focuses on gentle adjustments of the cranio-sacral system. Sadly, they agreed to play that down in order to gain acceptance by MDs. Over many years, they morphed into MDs. Nowadays it's very rare to find an osteopath who actually does osteopathy. The American Osteopathy Association called it a "dead art" in the 1990's.QUOTE]

In the UK there be MDs, Osteopaths and Chiropracters and they are completly seperate. Osteopaths and Chiropracters are not generally covered by the National Health, so one has to pay to visit them. Also In most cases if a doctor thinks a patient's body needs some manipulation then he/she will send the patient to a physiotherapist.

When I used to run, if I sustained an injury my GP stock question was "when does your back/leg/ankle/knee hurt" to which of course I would say "when I run", his many years of training and experiance would then be given "then do not run for a few weeks". As I normally had a race in the next month, two weeks without training was a no no. My osteopath would work on the cause of the injury and give me a training schedule plus warm ups to do. Unfortunately one time he said I should not do the cross country marathon but I did - after many months and hundreds of pounds (sterling) I was able to walk properly again but my running days were finished.

Jim

mishb
04-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi mama
We haven't heard back from you. How did the headaches go?? Finally get some relief??