PDA

View Full Version : Side Effects To Pred or MTX

TammyE
04-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if Pred or MTX would cause tightness in the chest area or shortness of breath I emailed my doc he said no, and my PCP said go to urgent care. I am new to these meds this is my first week on them. I was just recently diagnosed and not sure of everything yet. I am going to urgent care like my PCP said but I was thinking it could be me getting use to the meds.

NicShaf
04-12-2012, 08:37 AM
I don't think that is a side effect, the only time I had a feeling like that was when Wegs was in my lungs. I would take your PCP's advice and go to urgent care. Hope everything is ok.

Dryhill
04-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Tammy, I have not heard of that side effect either. Do let us know what happens. Thinking of you.

Jim

mishb
04-12-2012, 10:32 PM
It can be caused by anxiety.
Maybe you still are a bit stressed and upset about the diagnosis and also about the medication you now find yourself on ....... I know I was.

I had the same sort of thing and lung scans and an ECG found nothing sinister.
That put my mind at rest and I no longer have the pains, but with all chest pains you should definately go to the doctors/hospital to by sure.

TammyE
04-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Thank you everything turned out fine last night my WBC was a little high Doc said Panic attack she wanted to give me Ativan I said no thank you, I will use natural ways to stay relaxed. This is still all new I guess I have to just relax and go with the flow.

Sangye
04-18-2012, 03:32 AM
Tammy, some people have an allergic reaction to mtx that resembles pneumonia. It's called "pneumonitis." It can cause your symptoms. The reaction is not uncommon. Your Wegs doc is foolish for telling you that mtx cannot cause those symptoms and should have sent you for a chest x-ray immediately. I'm glad your PCP had more sense.

(Note that a chest x-ray will not necessarily look awful. I had this reaction to mtx and my x-rays only showed mild "pneumonia" even though I could barely breathe.)

What dose of pred are you on? It's famous for causing anxiety at higher doses.