PDA

View Full Version : Wegeners and Graves Diseases

Julbkwrm
04-10-2012, 05:06 AM
Good Afternoon Everybody.

Has anyone been been diagnosed with Graves disease (Hyperthyroidism) after being diagnosed with Wegeners? I am trying to get some information on medications and what to expect. I just had an ultasound on my thyroid, and my bloodwork is out of whack, so the thought is Graves, but I will not get a confirmation until the 18th.

drz
04-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Thyroid problems must be pretty common since I have been evaluated to assess thyroid function several times.

Al
04-10-2012, 07:35 AM
Graves disease might be not exactly rare, but much more common among women than men. I can't speak to it first hand, but it is worth noting that there seems to be a large genetic component. Also, there does seem to be a genetic propensity to autoimmune diseases in general, though not necessarily to a specific disease. Still, if you have one AI disease, you are somewhat more likely to have another (than the rest of the population).

Al

Debbie C
04-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Graves disease might be not exactly rare, but much more common among women than men. I can't speak to it first hand, but it is worth noting that there seems to be a large genetic component. Also, there does seem to be a genetic propensity to autoimmune diseases in general, though not necessarily to a specific disease. Still, if you have one AI disease, you are somewhat more likely to have another (than the rest of the population).

Al

Thanks Al....thats great to know !!!!!

Thakator
04-11-2012, 02:50 AM
Hi Jul,
As has been noted, it's not uncommon for AI folks to have more than one AI condition, such as Graves and Wegs. Personally, I had the Graves dx for five years before the Wegs dx (although I am quite certain that I had WG for years before the dx was made). Along the way, I learned about a drug that used to be the standard for Grave's and I made a posting about it entitled "Hyperthyroidism and WG: An Alert"; it's under the Medications section of past postings. Please take a moment to read it inasmuch as you are in the possible Grave's-Weg's boat. Good luck, Ron