PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else suffer from IBS ?

Debbie C
04-09-2012, 11:02 AM
After I had that upper endoscopy and colonoscopy done the doc. said I had irritable bowel syndrome and prescribed me dicyclomine to take. But reading all the effects of this medicine and knowing me and pills don't mix well, I was holding off taking it thinking my stomach would just get better but its not. I didn't know if this was another WG thing going on and if anyone else is suffering from this or am I on my own on this one ?:sad:

Dryhill
04-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I can not answer your question. However my ex , who dislikes taking too many pills (especially as she also has Menieres Disease and has to pop pills to sort that out), has IBS and mainly controls it by diet. If you want any details on the type of diet I will willingly ask her for the info.

Jim

Al
04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Man, you go through it Debra. I don't know too much about IBS, other than most causes seem to be not autoimmune. Because, though, there a a number of suspect triggers, it is hard to get a handle on a specific remediation. It doesn't sound WG related, but who knows?

Al

Palmyra
04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Hi Debra,

Sorry for the additional diagnosis and problem to deal with. My daughter has Crohn's, Weg and IBS. The meds for Weg have kept the Crohn's beast largely silent. IBS can present in a couple of ways I think, and is largely treated to control symptoms/managed by diet. If you what to PM me to chat, feel free. (The symptoms are not always great for open discussion:w00t:)

~Jane

Debbie C
04-10-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm telling ya ..its always something !! I googled it and read what the Mayo clinic had to say about it and mostly I need to eat more fiber, but that bottle of wine is looking better and better everyday. I think all of us are due for a nice vacation, I myself am ready for an island retreat !!!! Hope ya'll had a Happy Easter.

Dryhill
04-10-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm telling ya ..its always something !! I googled it and read what the Mayo clinic had to say about it and mostly I need to eat more fiber, but that bottle of wine is looking better and better everyday. I think all of us are due for a nice vacation, I myself am ready for an island retreat !!!! Hope ya'll had a Happy Easter.

As I said to someone last summer, "this is not a day for working, it is a day to sit around the pool while the servants bring a nice Pims with plenty of ice ........ trouble is I do not have a pool, servants or any Pims, oh well thats life".

Jim

Al
04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
I'm telling ya ..its always something !! I googled it and read what the Mayo clinic had to say about it and mostly I need to eat more fiber, but that bottle of wine is looking better and better everyday. I think all of us are due for a nice vacation, I myself am ready for an island retreat !!!! Hope ya'll had a Happy Easter. Well, grapes do have good fiber, but I think you have to eat them whole, not just the juice....

But it is true that the standard American diet is terribly deficient in fiber. Still, it isn't that hard to make a few alterations....

Al

elephant
04-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Matter a fact I have it right now, and having IBS is painful! I have been eating bad lately so go figure my intestines are screaming at me!

Debbie C
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Matter a fact I have it right now, and having IBS is painful! I have been eating bad lately so go figure my intestines are screaming at me!
The thing is I really try to eat the right food so I don't gain alot more weight...but he seems after every meal my stomach blows up like a swallowed a balloon..its horrible. It said on the Mayo clinic site to try metimucil for more fiber.

Sangye
04-18-2012, 02:01 AM
There are many ways to treat IBS naturally that are safe for Weggies. I don't recommend the drug route, as it does nothing to address the underlying problem and the IBS will continue to progress.

Do you use artificial sweeteners? Splenda (sucralose) in particular is famous for causing IBS symptoms. (Canada had very low rates of IBS before Splenda was introduced there, and the rates have since exploded.) I've had Splenda twice since it came on the market-- holy smokes. Severe cramping and diarrhea that lasted several days, just from one small dose. The cramping was odd, too. Not like typical stomach bug cramping. I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague.

I suggest you see a holistic doctor for good advice on a diet. Ayurveda is my personal favorite and not that difficult to learn the basics. Also, vertebral misalignments in the low back can cause intestinal dysfunction like IBS. A family member had severe IBS for years and a single chiropractic adjustment stopped it. Usually it takes more than one, but it was incredible!

Meanwhile, drink aloe vera juice or gel every day. It's very cooling and soothing to the gut and definitely makes a difference. 2 oz of the gel mixed in a glass of water twice a day will do wonders. I've become allergic to aloe and miss my old friend.

elephant
04-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks Sangye, wondering if this is Cellcept related. Abdominal pain, bloating ....trapped gas. I really need to call my doctor. :(

Sangye
04-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Oh yeah, definitely could be. Do you have diarrhea with it?

Lightwarrior
04-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah, definitely could be. Do you have diarrhea with it?
Lately I have been having diarrhea about one day a month, I mean the run so I don't mess my pants. I'm really getting so tired of all these complications.

Sangye
04-25-2012, 03:02 AM
LightWarrior, can you correlate it with anything? Which drugs are you on these days?