PDA

View Full Version : Chance Meeting

Deanne Hull
04-06-2012, 10:24 AM
HI Everyone, for those who celebrate easter, have a lovely time, ( watch out for those easter eggs ).As I haven't been on for a while so I hope everyone is okay. I am well, all my markers are going down and i am managing to have a "normal" life!

I just thought i would tell you that the other day while i was at Fremantle Hospital ( Perth, Western Australia ), waiting for my medication from the Hospital Pharmacy, I heard a lady behind me extremely upset and crying on her mobile phone telling whoever was on the other end about the diagnosis she had
just got and the medication she had to pick up and what it was going to do to her.

As i was listening, I couldn't help it, as everyone else was listening too, I thought
what she was saying sounded quite familiar. When she finished off the phone,
i was compelled to go over and see her. I asked if she was okay and sat down and she told me
and she said she had this rare thing, I asked her what it was and it was
Wegener's. I couldn't believe it and said that I had it as well and I was there
waiting to pick up my meds.

We were both very shocked as I have not acutally met anyone with wegs!

So as she was newly diagnosed she asked me so many questions etc and i answered
as many as I could without swamping her and we have swapped phone no's and I said if she needed to talk she is more than welcome to ring me etc. ( i honestly wish i had met someone who had been though it themselves, it would have made things much easier to understand and cope with ).

At least too, she could see that what someone looks like with Wegs, ( not that bad really ).
She has got quite a journey and if I can help, I will.!!!!

In the end we had a big hug, as you do, and I hope she went off feeling better
than she did, because I know I did!!

Love Deanne xxx

crackers
04-06-2012, 10:42 AM
that's great deanne it must have been as good for you as it was for her.i wish i'd have had someone to put an arm round my shoulder but all i had was the internet and it scared the poop out of me.well done for being a very good samaritan.
john.

mr.g
04-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Well done. I think you were and will continue to be a big help to her. You opened the door to the GPA information that we all needed and still need. Seeing a real life "Weggie" had to help her. Well done indeed.

By the way, how are things down under, getting along are you? I would like to visit NZ and the land of Aussie Football.

Mr.g

Dryhill
04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Deanne, they say it is a small world. Like you, I would have loved to have met a weggie when I was first diagnosed, so many questions and fears that could have been resolved. I have recently told my GP that I am happy for her to give my telephone and email address to any other sufferer. When I next see my hospital consultant I have some stuff for him to give to new patients (leaflets from Vasculitis UK, which give a broad outline of Vasculitis and a UK support group, plus of course this sites internet address).

I am glad to hear that you are improving in health and managing to live a more normal life, or as Mr. Spock (from Startrek) used to say "It's life Jim, but not as we know it".

Jim

mishb
04-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Well done Deanne on your "normal" life.
What a great thing you have done for this lady, it must have eased her mind somewhat, and like everyone, I also wished there was someone who I could have spoken too but I found this forum and the great people and great stories that helped bring the stress levels down really quickly.

At the Melbourne Hospital (The Alfred) that I go too, they have told me that they treat 100's of WG patients a year. When I sit in the waiting room, I look around me and try to guess what other people are there for.....could it be WG

Sangye
04-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Nice story, Deanne. Thank you for being so kind!

Al
04-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Great, Deanne! You did well, and we are proud of you.

Al

Jaha
04-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Deanne,

That is wonderful! I have had the pleasure of meeting 2 people with Wegs, in the 2 yrs I have had it. The 1st being at the Speech/Hearing Clinic
I work for. She had come in for hearing aids and had Wegs since 1991. I sat down with her and we exchanged info, I asked her alot of questions, it was great. The 2nd one was at CC my husband actually was talking with him when I got my 1st infusion. It helped him alot to talk with him about what he had been thru. I call these chance meetings , divine connections.
Jana

Palmyra
04-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Deanne,

How wonderful for both you and your new friend. I too have a close friend who has a son w/ Weg, and they live in the same city as my daughter. The sick 'kids' are about the same age, share a local rheumy and she has been of tremendous support to me. When the daughter is in a crisis situation, she is the first one I call, and she almost always has a powerful recommendation regarding medical care and is of sound moral support.

We've been to dinner and had drinks on several occasions. Over the years both of our learning curves have increased, so you may find your "newbie" friend may morph into a true layman expert with time.

Geoff
04-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Wow Deanne thats great. Well done you for being there for your fellow Weggie. Meeting others with the same illness has been a wonderful thing for me and I hope that you not only keep in touch with your new friend but perhaps get a Perth group together??

I am planning on travelling out later this year in November to stay with my brother who lives in Edgewater and want to see you and your new group up and flying!!

Well done on your improvement!

pberggren1
04-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Jana, that is so awesome you got to meet those other 2 Weggies. What exactly do you do at the Clinic you work at? I agree these meetings are divine connections as well. Nothing happens by chance but. I call it Divine Providence. Something to do with Rhode Island I think........lol.

Jane, that is so nice to hear that you have a good friend like that to help you out in a crisis. It is of course sad that her son has Wegs as well, but like Jana said it is one of those divine connections.

Jaha
04-09-2012, 03:12 AM
Phil,

I do there medical billing and accounting work. They are one of my clients for my medical billing service.

Jana