PDA

View Full Version : weight gain :(

AmyA
04-01-2012, 11:59 AM
So I am still new here and I'm sure the subject has been raised, but I am really struggling with the Prednisone weight gain. More than anything it's a major blow to the ol' self esteem. Any tips on how to cope?

Rita.M
04-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi AmyA. I have been on pred. for 4 mths. now & am down to 10mg. They told me i would stack on the weight but so far i have not.
I get so hungry, so when i feel like eating everything in sight i drink a glass of water. I have to drink lots of water so it works for me .The only draw back is
always going to the toilet, especially when you go out. Also keep active if you can . Cheers Rita.

Sangye
04-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Amy, what I've learned from being on high-dose pred more than once: You will most likely crave salty, sweet and fatty foods like nobody's business. Don't even take a bite of them. Pred makes them taste WAY better than normal and you won't be able to stop if you start. Chips, sweets, dairy foods like cottage cheese-- just don't do it.

When I first went on pred I didn't know it would increase my appetite. I was ravenous, eating everything in sight, even foods I never really liked before. I also began eating in the middle of the night--something that has always repulsed me. I thought my increased appetite was due to being extremely anemic, depleted and due to the chemo. I gained 40 lbs in 4 months!

Al
04-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Sorry, Amy--I am not really the right guy to talk about this, since I am in the minority who has lost weight on pred. I do not know why this is so. On high pred doses, my appetite was giant, and my calorie intake was prodigious (and, yes, I sometimes raided the refrigerator in the middle of those sleepless nights; no chips, though, or anything salty, and very little sweet stuff). True, I did keep active--even in the hospital I would do hundreds of laps a day. Yet, other Weggies have been as or more active without avoiding the "moonface". I suspect something different is going on with metabolism. Another anomaly: I have never had problems controlling glucose. (I don't avoid sweets; neither do I crave them.)

i am afraid my example does not add much oo he discussion. "i hope others will chime in....

Al

Rita.M
04-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Hi Al, Like you I lost weight when I was on high dose pred, the doctors said it was probably due to my metabolism as I was super active, not sleeping & not able to sit and relax.
Now that I'm down to 10mg my weight is back to normal. I got so hungry & still have days when I could eat all day so I dont buy chocolate(my addiction).I will be glad when I'm off the stuff but really scared my joint pain will
come back.
Rita.

Dryhill
04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
I got so hungry & still have days when I could eat all day so I dont buy chocolate(my addiction).Rita.

How do you do that, surely it is against the law? When I go in a shop where there is chocolate (in the uk that includes petrol stations) I can hear it talking to me, saying "buy me, eat me". I was taught to do what I was told, so I do.

AmyA, my advice is to live on an island that only has plenty of fruit and vegetables and none of the really nice food like chips, chocolate, cheese, crisps and good healthy fatty meats.

Jim

drz
04-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Coping well depends more on your attitude and not your weight. I lost 25 pounds before diagnosis and during early treatment (intubation) and not being allowed to eat afterward for several days. Like Sangye said though with the help of PRENANTZONE (the med that makes you look pregnant) I gained 50 pounds in short order. I was very malnourished, anemic, with messed up body chemistry, and the pregnantzone jerked my blood glucose levels around from high of 400 in morning to low of 50 most nights. They checked my BG levels every hour or two. At night I often had to eat every two hours or take a injection of glucose to avoid hypoglycemic episodes which make you more ravenous than even the high doses of pregnantzone. i got extremely sick of eating many kinds of high carb snacks but the nurses who were creative always found something I could tolerate eating and usually enjoyed. Lots of sweets still make me gag but after I left inpatient care and pred meds were slowly tapered down I didn't gain any more weight. Unfortunately my weight is same now as it was 1 1/2 years ago so losing it is hard. I coped by buying some extra large clothes that are too big for me. I gave away my skinny person clothes after a year since they looked unlikely to get any more use. I was always very thin so my clothes were usually large for me but now I can't get into my old clothes. This does hurt ones self esteem but the larger clothes help me forget my big gut and six month pregnant look. Most people think I look healthier now than the gaunt pre diagnosis look so that also helps my self esteem.

I think some people can minimize the pred weight gain by eating lots of high fiber and low calorie food like salads and vegetables. Many people with mild diabetes can also control their diabetes the same way. Also try to stay as active as your health allows. It is hard when you are fatigued much of the time. Best wishes for better health and weight control.

Debbie C
04-02-2012, 10:02 AM
When I started I was on 50mg of preds,I'm now down to 10mg. I weighed 102 lbs before I got this grud now I am at 116 lbs. But I used to smoke before also and I quit that almost a year ago so between the two I don't think its that bad even though I can't fit into my skinny jeans anymore or alot of other things for that fact. I too love to eat but I have been trying to eat the rights things, oatmeal and yogart in the am and fish,turkey or chicken at lunch.. dinner and afterwards is another story almost anything goes. There is water I drink alot,its from Sobe called life water,its comes in different flavors and loaded with vitamins..really good.

mishb
04-02-2012, 10:35 AM
How do you do that, surely it is against the law? When I go in a shop where there is chocolate (in the uk that includes petrol stations) I can hear it talking to me, saying "buy me, eat me". I was taught to do what I was told, so I do.

AmyA, my advice is to live on an island that only has plenty of fruit and vegetables and none of the really nice food like chips, chocolate, cheese, crisps and good healthy fatty meats. Jim

This is so true, and Easter is coming up.
Chocolate is a big downfall for my whole family even though I try to limit myself to a couple of squares a day, sometimes none at all........but then there are also chocolate biscuits (you need to be congratulated Rita)

MMMmmmmmm Chocolate :drool:

Jim, I'm thinking that this so called Island should be avoided.
Sanitation may not be very good and with all that fruit and vegies and no cheese to block one up.............let's just say, I will stay where I am...Thankyou.
We just can't afford to take that risk with our poor immune system.

MCC
04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
When I was first ill I came on and asked the same question! I found that no matter how much I ate I was never full, so in the end I kind of tried to accept it and realise that I could eat a ton and it wouldnt satisfy me so there was no 'point' to eating so much, so I kept round a stash of carrot sticks and other healthy food when I felt compelled to eat. But I admit it wasnt that simple and I still put on lots of weight.

Just remember, although it is not nice seeing yourself putting on weight, it isnt forever, and actually your health is more important right now than a bit of weight gain. (I know easy to say and harder to accept when it's you). I have lost weight now since being off medication and am now almost back to pre illness weight, sure you will be too.

Sangye
04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
There is water I drink alot,its from Sobe called life water,its comes in different flavors and loaded with vitamins..really good.

Sobe is owned by Pepsi. They use high-fructose corn syrup in their products and/or artificial sweeteners, which are highly toxic (and some are carcinogens). Their website defends HFCS, equating it to regular sugar. Holistic doctors call it Death Water.

Rita.M
04-02-2012, 01:24 PM
We have chocolate in petrol stations in Aus.too & now there is chocolate everywhere & like you it talks to me to.
If I do buy it,to be honest, I will eat the whole block. So now I know it's out to get me I dont look at it.
With me & chocolate it's all or nothing. Hopefully if I go into remission i'll buy a box & eat the lot washed down by
a bottle of sauvignon blanc (another pleasure I cant have now)
Cheers Rita.

annekat
04-02-2012, 01:32 PM
We have chocolate in petrol stations in Aus.too & now there is chocolate everywhere & like you it talks to me to.
If I do buy it,to be honest, I will eat the whole block. So now I know it's out to get me I dont look at it.
With me & chocolate it's all or nothing. Hopefully if I go into remission i'll buy a box & eat the lot washed down by
Cheers Rita. Chocolate is in just about all the petrol stations in the US, too, although we call them gas stations. Almost all of them have those little "mini-mart" stores attached to them where you can buy all kinds of junk at inflated prices. Not that I'd ever call chocolate "junk", however! I have the same problem of thinking I'll only eat a couple of squares but ending up eating the whole thing. Usually I can resist buying it when I see it, but once in awhile, of course, I have to "reward" myself.

mishb
04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Cheers Rita.

Sounds like an excellent plan Rita :thumbsup:

We will raise a toast to you on that very special 'R' day, hopefully soon

freakyschizogirl
04-02-2012, 07:02 PM
I havent put on masses, but enough to get me down. I was obese before so i'm not surprised i continued to gain weight.
Didnt really get a moon face but then again my face has always been chubby!

Aside from moving to a island i would very much like a personal chef to cook up/ create tasty foods for me to have and still lose weight, and i'd install a pool in the back garden as i love swimming.

I'm down to 4mg of pred but still cannot find the motivation to lose weight. I hope you have more sucess than i do!

freakyschizogirl
04-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I have the same problem of thinking I'll only eat a couple of squares but ending up eating the whole thing. Usually I can resist buying it when I see it, but once in awhile, of course, I have to "reward" myself.

I buy the smaller fun sized chocolate and leave it in my bedside draws. I find that i just want a taste of chocolate i will have a few mini's. (Twix do half finger sizes) And so i still get my fix but eat less, yay! :thumbsup:

Debbie C
04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
WOW SANGYE...you really burst my bubble I thought I was doing good drinking this stuff.I read the ingredients and all the vitamins you get and now you tell me its called Death water. I used to drink gatorad alot until someone told me that wasn't good to drink alot of either. So I quess its back to pain old water. I can't wait until I can uncork a bottle a wine and just enjoy !!

Sangye
04-03-2012, 01:14 PM
LOL I'm sorry to have been the one to break it to you, Debra! If you like lemon or lime, a little squeeze is nice (and healthy) in your water. :smile1:

Al
04-03-2012, 02:17 PM
LOL I'm sorry to have been the one to break it to you, Debra! If you like lemon or lime, a little squeeze is nice (and healthy) in your water. :smile1:...And, Debra, lemon and lime are, among citrus fruits, fairly low in potassium--which is useful to know if you have renal involvement.

Al

pberggren1
04-03-2012, 04:16 PM
...And, Debra, lemon and lime are, among citrus fruits, fairly low in potassium--which is useful to know if you have renal involvement.

Al

So too much potassium is not good for the kidneys?

NicShaf
04-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Hey Amy,
This subject has been raised before, and for good reason. It is one of the harder parts of Pred side effects to deal with. I put on about 50lbs in the first 7-8 months on Pred, it kind of stayed there after that.
I don't know if there is any good way to cope with it, I've had a tough time. I bought some new clothes for work that fit comfortably and I felt good in, and that has helped me day to day. Avoiding Sugar and Salt as much as you can is a good way to help fight the weight gain a little...or so I've read; I didn't have enough self control in that department all the time, especially in that hormonal time of the month:)
I hope you can find something that makes you feel better.

Dryhill
04-04-2012, 09:50 AM
This is so true, and Easter is coming up.
Chocolate is a big downfall for my whole family even though I try to limit myself to a couple of squares a day, sometimes none at all........but then there are also chocolate biscuits (you need to be congratulated Rita)

MMMmmmmmm Chocolate :drool:

Jim, I'm thinking that this so called Island should be avoided.
Sanitation may not be very good and with all that fruit and vegies and no cheese to block one up.............let's just say, I will stay where I am...Thankyou.
We just can't afford to take that risk with our poor immune system.

Michelle, you have raised a very good reason for staying home and just getting on with eating chocolate and the other good things in life. I do have one question though, does Easter Island (somewehre in the Pacific Ocean if I remember my school geography lessons) have lots of Easter Eggs ...... is that where they grow?

Jim

Debbie C
04-04-2012, 09:56 AM
So too much potassium is not good for the kidneys?

Sounds like I can't win for losing...I love to eat kiwi so if there's something wrong with those I don't even want to know !!!!

Al
04-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Sounds like I can't win for losing...I love to eat kiwi so if there's something wrong with those I don't even want to know !!!!Debra--Kiwi fruit is indeed fairly high in potassium, but you wouldn't generally eat a large amount (would you?). Most fruits are potassium heavy, but some, like bananas and oranges, are more so than others. A few that are lower are pineapple, blueberries, and cranberries. Apples, pears, and strawberries are in the middle. Potatoes, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes are quite high. I keep their intake down.

Phil: kidneys have to process all the electrolytes,-- sodium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus. If the poor things are laboring, it is best to not pile it on. This is particularly important for dialysis patients.

Al

HopeinTN
04-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Bummer for me is that I used to love lemon in my water, tea, substitute for butter on potatoes and dressing on salads, until I one day had an severe allergic reaction and anaphalactic shock.

Debra- I'm allergic to kiwi. Double bummer.

The lemon was a huge part of a past weight loss diet and I really miss them. I have put on 20 lbs since October and I'm beside myself. This is really hard as I've always struggled with my weight. None of my clothes fit properly and I honestly hate walking by mirrors. I'm not really eating more or eating badly, but not exercising. The thought of it tires me. I know that I need to and this will be the key. I just need to do it.

I know getting healthy is the most important thing, but not I feel depressed about my weight.

Al
04-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Bummer for me is that I used to love lemon in my water, tea, substitute for butter on potatoes and dressing on salads, until I one day had an severe allergic reaction and anaphalactic shock....This is odd, Katrina. I've never heard of this serious an allergic reaction to lemons--or any allergic reacting to kiwi. Pineapple is common, though; are you also allergic to pineapple? Just goes to show you that the immune system is complicated.

Al

pberggren1
04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
I know someone on here that is allergic to oranges.

annekat
04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
So those of us without current or past kidney involvement needn't worry too much about potassium? Isn't it good for us in some ways? I commonly eat about a banana a day. I used to drink Emergen-C, which has quite a bit of potassium in it, but stopped when dx'ed with Wegs. I didn't know about all those other fruits containing it. I eat a fair number of oranges and go through phases with potatoes. I saw some dried kiwi slices for sale the other day and might give them a try.

drz
04-04-2012, 08:00 PM
So those of us without current or past kidney involvement needn't worry too much about potassium? Isn't it good for us in some ways? I commonly eat about a banana a day. I used to drink Emergen-C, which has quite a bit of potassium in it, but stopped when dx'ed with Wegs. I didn't know about all those other fruits containing it. I eat a fair number of oranges and go through phases with potatoes. I saw some dried kiwi slices for sale the other day and might give them a try.

I have stage three kidney damage now after partial recovery from Wegs attack on kidneys and was told to avoid taking any extra supplements with high levels of things like potassium, phosphorous, and pain meds that put heavy load on the kidneys etc. but otherwise to eat a normal balanced diet which I take to mean not to eat an excessive amount of any one food. They did not forbid any specific food or advise any increases in anything except to drink lots of water.

mishb
04-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I can no longer eat oranges or use lemon in water or on fish etc as anything citrus sends my inflammation levels skyhigh.....to the point of feeling like my hands have been slammed in a car door or my knees and ankles crushed in a can crusher.......very bad.
I guess that kind of makes me allergic to them.

Michelle, you have raised a very good reason for staying home and just getting on with eating chocolate and the other good things in life. I do have one question though, does Easter Island (somewehre in the Pacific Ocean if I remember my school geography lessons) have lots of Easter Eggs ...... is that where they grow?

Jim

Jim, my husband said that Easter Island is like the Island from the series LOST or like the Bermuda Triangle........it only appears at that one special time of the year and then is not seen again by the naked eye until the next year, so therefore, this must be where the eggs come from.

HopeinTN
04-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Yes Al, it's very odd. My doc thinks that I may have had too much and my body said that's enough. I'm also not sure that it may not have been washed properly and I had a reaction to something on it. Not worth trying again since it was so severe though. I keep an epi pen just in case. Kiwi wasn't as bad as the lemon. I have noticed a slight burning in my mouth when I eat pineapple too.

My mom had the same situation with pears and my sister with peaches.

Sangye
04-05-2012, 05:24 AM
Unless you ate tons of lemon every day it's hard to imagine that your body just had too much. Oy! The things doctors say.

I wondered about pesticides or other chemicals on the lemon. You could do an allergy test for lemon and other fruit so that you know for sure. Burning in the mouth after pineapple is common and not an allergy. Mild allergies to canteloupe are fairly common though.

In general, whether you are full-blown allergic to something or just have a sensitivity to it, you should avoid the food. Even a sensitivity stresses the body, including the immune system.

HopeinTN
04-05-2012, 05:38 AM
Ummm, I did consume a ton of lemons. In water and on everything I ate. I gave up butter and used lemon and gave up salad dressing and used lemon. However, I'm still on the same mindset as you and doubt that's what happened. Regardless, I did give them up and I miss them. I once had lemon juice as a mix up in a drink I was served and had similar consequences. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Sangye
04-05-2012, 05:53 AM
LOL Lemon addiction!

Actually, the doctor has it backwards. When people have a sensitivity to a food they often over-consume it. People who can't get enough dairy are definitely sensitive to it, for example. So the sensitivity or allergy is there first, causing the person to over-consume it.

Debbie C
04-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Like the Cadberry bunny ?!!

Dryhill
04-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Like the Cadberry bunny ?!!

I nearly run it over yesterday, in fact I do not know how I missed it. I was driving down a quiet country road and a little bunny was sitting near the other edge of the road and just as I got near the stupid thing shot across to my side of the road. I actually broke the law and swerved to miss it, but still thought I must have run it over, but there was no squashed bunny (or bits of chocolate) on the road.

Jim

Al
04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Allergies and sensitivities are curious things--especially when they emerge in adulthood. In any case, they represent a riling up of the immune system (classically, with massive production of IgE antibodies, though some allergies are IgG mediated), which can't be good for Weggies.

Do mind the centerline, Jim, and don't bash the bunnies.

Al

Dryhill
04-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Do mind the centerline, Jim, and don't bash the bunnies.

Al

Al, I try not to run over bunnies, they are no use for the pot if I squash them, but the stupid things never do what is sensible and run away from the big scary car, oh no they have to run back towards it. The law in the UK is a driver should not swerve or drive in a dangerous way just to avoid small animals like cats, dogs and rabbits, it ok to take avoiding action from big animals like horses, cows and deer because they can really damage the car if you hit them. I am already a "Bambi Slayer Second Class" (that means I have only killed one deer), but now I only work days I do not see as many deer as I used to as a night driver.

Jim

Al
04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Al, I try not to run over bunnies, they are no use for the pot if I squash them, but the stupid things never do what is sensible and run away from the big scary car, oh no they have to run back towards it. The law in the UK is a driver should not swerve or drive in a dangerous way just to avoid small animals like cats, dogs and rabbits, it ok to take avoiding action from big animals like horses, cows and deer because they can really damage the car if you hit them. I am already a "Bambi Slayer Second Class" (that means I have only killed one deer), but now I only work days I do not see as many deer as I used to as a night driver.

Jim
Jim, on my island, we have a lot of deer. Big cats do not swim so well, and hunting is not allowed (once in a while, we get poachers, which is scary, but the county sheriff's deputies deal with them pretty fast). So the deer have no natural enemies, other than all-terrain vehicles. A lot of rabbits too, especially by the ferry dock. But the bunnies seem smarter than the deer regarding traffic.

Personally, I never got the point about chocolate bunnies. That would be, in the first place, way too much chocolate for one sitting, and...edible lagomorphine shapes? Do you start with the ears, or what? It all seems pretty violent to me. Besides, it really is pretty much like dismembering Bambi, or even Santa Claus. As I say, I have never gotten the point.

Al

Dryhill
04-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes start with the ears, but it does seem wrong to eat the head next, looks odd as well. Personnally I prefer chocolate eggs or best of all a nice big slab of chocolate (OK so I admit it eating a chocolate bunny seems wrong).

Jim

Al
04-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes start with the ears, but it does seem wrong to eat the head next, looks odd as well. Personnally I prefer chocolate eggs or best of all a nice big slab of chocolate (OK so I admit it eating a chocolate bunny seems wrong).

JimBesides, Jim, it they make the bunnies out of inferior chocolate (how could they make any profit putting the really good stuff into a mould?

Al

annekat
04-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Besides, Jim, it they make the bunnies out of inferior chocolate (how could they make any profit putting the really good stuff into a mould?

Al I have no problem eating a chocolate bunny, since it is not a real bunny. And although I prefer good quality chocolate, I will eat inferior chocolate if that is all that is available.

Oh, and yes, I think I would start with the ears.

Rita.M
04-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Oh no !!! I went to the shops after Easter & all the eggs were half price. I tried soooo hard to walk away but those "LINDT" chocolate eggs wouldn't let me.
I even bought a lindt bunny ,so much for willpower.

mishb
04-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Oh no !!! I went to the shops after Easter & all the eggs were half price. I tried soooo hard to walk away but those "LINDT" chocolate eggs wouldn't let me.
I even bought a lindt bunny ,so much for willpower.

Yummm, great job Rita :thumbup: and at half price, even better

freakyschizogirl
06-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Hi all

I just wanted to share my happy news that i lsot 5lb this week by calorie counting alone. I was obviously in denial about how much i was eating but so happy to have lost this amount as i was very nearly at my tipping point and didnt want to put any more weight on.

BrianR
06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Hi all

I just wanted to share my happy news that i lsot 5lb this week by calorie counting alone. I was obviously in denial about how much i was eating but so happy to have lost this amount as i was very nearly at my tipping point and didnt want to put any more weight on.

Great job Sam! Finding ways to reduce un-needed and "bad" calories out of your diet makes a huge difference. I am really happy for you and you just watch, stick to it and you will rock the house! You go girl!!!

Dryhill
06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Well done Sam, that is really great news. I was doing reasonably well, but somehow seem to have put some weight back on. Mind you I have found a good way of losing weight, when you are on the scales place your hand on to something solid and press down slightly, the weight instantly falls off ......... scales never lie now do they? But seriously Sam, I am pleased for you keep it up.

Jim

annekat
06-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Congrats, and I hope it continues! I am at a tipping point myself, and know exactly what you mean about being in denial about the eating. So I will take this as a chance to be inspired to do something about it, too.

freakyschizogirl
06-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Congrats, and I hope it continues! I am at a tipping point myself, and know exactly what you mean about being in denial about the eating. So I will take this as a chance to be inspired to do something about it, too.
Go for it Anne. Calorie counting is so easy and i'm trying to eat more fruit and veg too. Even went to Pizza hut saturday night and still stayed within my points!

annekat
06-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Go for it Anne. Calorie counting is so easy and i'm trying to eat more fruit and veg too. Even went to Pizza hut saturday night and still stayed within my points! Thanks for the encouragement! My sister is doing an online plan called My Fitness Plan, which she says is like Weight Watchers but is free. She has lost a few pounds. I live on a road that is nice to walk on and gives a good workout.... so it's just a matter of going out the door and doing it! Plus I have a hill behind my house that is a good climb. Despite Wegs, I think I have the energy to do these things, and am thankful for that, so what am I waiting for?

Lightwarrior
06-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Hi all

WOO HOO, this is great!!! I think I"m going to try again.

Lightwarrior
06-05-2012, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! My sister is doing an online plan called My Fitness Plan, which she says is like Weight Watchers but is free. She has lost a few pounds. I live on a road that is nice to walk on and gives a good workout.... so it's just a matter of going out the door and doing it! Plus I have a hill behind my house that is a good climb. Despite Wegs, I think I have the energy to do these things, and am thankful for that, so what am I waiting for?

I just signed up, it is free and very cool. Thanks Anne

marta
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Sam - woo hooo sistah. That's so cool. I myself was feeling like I'm at a tipping point and had to do something, so I told Brian that I've decided to 'count calories' on this app that I have on my iPhone and he told me about you. That's so great. My problem is snacking. People say to me "cut out bread and dairy and you'll see a huge difference", well I don't eat much of those, but I do have a snacking problem, so by counting calories and seeing how much I have left for the day, it stops me from snacking. I've decided I want to loose 2lb per week (I think that's not being unrealistic,) but I have a feeling that it might go faster if I stick to 1200 calories per day. I'm the heaviest now that I've been since I got sick, and that's just not cool anymore. Here's to being hot Weggies. Sam, Ann, and Lightwarrior, here we go... it might help us if we know that we're in it together. Woot woot. I also go down to 5mg tomorrow, so we'll see how that game goes. I'm so afraid after that last fiasco that I came on here and whined about.

HopeinTN
06-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Good Job! Keep up the good work.

Lightwarrior
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Sam - woo hooo sistah. That's so cool. I myself was feeling like I'm at a tipping point and had to do something, so I told Brian that I've decided to 'count calories' on this app that I have on my iPhone and he told me about you. That's so great. My problem is snacking. People say to me "cut out bread and dairy and you'll see a huge difference", well I don't eat much of those, but I do have a snacking problem, so by counting calories and seeing how much I have left for the day, it stops me from snacking. I've decided I want to loose 2lb per week (I think that's not being unrealistic,) but I have a feeling that it might go faster if I stick to 1200 calories per day. I'm the heaviest now that I've been since I got sick, and that's just not cool anymore. Here's to being hot Weggies. Sam, Ann, and Lightwarrior, here we go... it might help us if we know that we're in it together. Woot woot. I also go down to 5mg tomorrow, so we'll see how that game goes. I'm so afraid after that last fiasco that I came on here and whined about.

You can add friends emails so that you can do it together. If you want to add me, I am [email protected]

Dryhill
06-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Plus I have a hill behind my house that is a good climb. Despite Wegs, I think I have the energy to do these things, and am thankful for that, so what am I waiting for?

Since our wonderful disease, hills totally wipe me out. I am asking the government to help me out, I would like them to keep the flat and downhill parts of the country and abolish anything that goes uphill.

Jim

Debbie C
06-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Way to go Sam ..keep up the good work. I hope we are all able to shed some of this weight.

Lightwarrior
06-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Since our wonderful disease, hills totally wipe me out. I am asking the government to help me out, I would like them to keep the flat and downhill parts of the country and abolish anything that goes uphill.

Jim

Jim,

I'll sign that petition :thumbsup:

annekat
06-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I just signed up, it is free and very cool. Thanks Anne You're welcome! Now it's my turn! I think the name is My Fitness Pal (not My Fitness Plan as I said before). Correct me if I'm wrong. The former is the one I bookmarked.

annekat
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Jim

Well, I shouldn't brag about being able to do the hill before actually attempting it! It is a small but steep one that involves a lot of wild undergrowth to push through. So, if I make it up there, I'll post a pic of it.

annekat
06-05-2012, 12:32 PM
You can add friends emails so that you can do it together. If you want to add me, I am [email protected] I just joined and added you.... you should be getting a "friend request".

Al
06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Well, I shouldn't brag about being able to do the hill before actually attempting it! It is a small but steep one that involves a lot of wild undergrowth to push through. So, if I make it up there, I'll post a pic of it.Good, Anne! Looking forward to the photo!

Al

Al
06-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi all

I just wanted to share my happy news that i lsot 5lb this week by calorie counting alone. I was obviously in denial about how much i was eating but so happy to have lost this amount as i was very nearly at my tipping point and didnt want to put any more weight on.Well done, Sam! (I think I, too, would like to avoid anyone tipping me.) I'm proud of you!

Al

freakyschizogirl
06-05-2012, 06:26 PM

You sound like me, snacking in the evening was my downfall. I'm sticking to 2000 cals a day or under and I'm so happy with the result tho I am hungry in between meals I think this is where I've eaten too much and my stomach is bigger than it should be.

We should have a weight loss group to share secrets and recipes! Tho I find you can eat anything in moderation.

Lightwarrior
06-06-2012, 08:40 AM
I just joined and added you.... you should be getting a "friend request".

I did and I accepted it.

annekat
06-06-2012, 08:48 AM
I did and I accepted it. So I noticed, and thanks! So it's my first day of the program and I've already surpassed my calorie allowance..... this first day is to find out what I can no longer eat, and how much exercise I have to do. I will no longer buy mandarin oranges in light syrup. And I have to be VERY careful with peanut butter, even the natural kind with no sugar, and Dave's Killer Bread. Even rice cakes add up. Hummus is pretty good but gotta be careful there, too. Half and half in coffee is the least of my worries! I must say, I think this is a very good tool. For those who need the link, it is Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com (http://www.myfitnesspal.com) .

Dryhill
06-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Well, I shouldn't brag about being able to do the hill before actually attempting it! It is a small but steep one that involves a lot of wild undergrowth to push through. So, if I make it up there, I'll post a pic of it.

Anne, I am looking forward to hearing that you got to the top ok and also to seeing the photo's.

Jim

annekat
06-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Anne, I am looking forward to hearing that you got to the top ok and also to seeing the photo's.

Jim
OK, I"ll work on it.... just took a 20 minute walk on the road with no hills to speak of, and will work my way up from that. I'm sure I'll make it to the top, it's just a matter of how out of breath I'll be and how long it'll take me, and if once I get up there, I'll have the energy to tromp around a bit further....

Dryhill
06-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Anne, I recently visited a large garden after nearly 30 years, the bad news was the garden is terreced into a steepish slope. Luckily there were loads of benches and as it was a weekday I was able to "sample" a lot of the benches ..... must go back soon and try out the ones I missed.

I am glad you have been able to walk for 20 minutes and you are right, the best thing is to slowly build up your endurance. Whatever you do, do not over stretch yourself and make yourself ill, remember the hill will always be there and there is always tomorrow or the day after for getting to the top.

Jim

mishb
06-06-2012, 07:57 PM
OK, I"ll work on it.... just took a 20 minute walk on the road with no hills to speak of, and will work my way up from that. I'm sure I'll make it to the top, it's just a matter of how out of breath I'll be and how long it'll take me, and if once I get up there, I'll have the energy to tromp around a bit further....

Well done Anne but remember, once you have reached the top of the hill you still need some energy to get back down and home again.......so don't go tromping around too much further :flapper:

annekat
06-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Well done Anne but remember, once you have reached the top of the hill you still need some energy to get back down and home again.......so don't go tromping around too much further :flapper: I thought maybe once I got to the top I could just slide back down again on my butt! :laugh: Actually, the hill is right behind my house and is covered with large ferns which can be slippery, so I might be doing some falling down, anyway!

Sangye
06-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Congratulations, Sam!

I don't remember who said they are sticking to 1200 calories a day, but that is a VERY unhealthy way to lose weight. It doesn't allow for proper nutrition at all. You will also reset your metabolism so that in the future you will gain weight much more easily and have a harder time losing it. No one should go below 1500 calories a day unless bedridden.

I have only been able to lose weight (and only 10 lbs) by eating 1200-1300 calories a day and all of my docs (including endocrinologist and chiropractor) told me to stop. I couldn't keep it up, anyway. The 10 lbs only stays off if I keep the calories that low, but I don't lose any more weight than that. Basically until I can get lower on the hydrocortisone AND get much more active they all agree there is no way I'm gonna lose weight. I've gained 60 lbs since Wegs dx. I'm just miserable at this weight. It causes or exacerbates so many of my other symptoms and conditions, too. Vicious cycle.

Sangye
06-07-2012, 03:55 AM
I should add that I used an online calorie counter (Calorie Count) to monitor exactly what I was eating and follow my nutrients. That is definitely the way to go. Even if I'm not trying to lose weight it's a great way to stay rooted in reality.

annekat
06-07-2012, 04:04 AM
It wasn't me, but the online calorie counter I just started using has me at 1200 a day, I guess based on the info I entered about myself. But if I exercise, the calories burned are added to the total allowance. I will definitely re-examine all this based on what you say, Sangye, and was already thinking that 1200 is way too low. I'm sure I can change the settings. And I AM capable of exercising, mainly by walking, which will definitely help. It would certainly be a lot more difficult for someone who could not exercise, and I sympathize greatly with anyone in that position.

Sangye
06-07-2012, 04:10 AM
I looked at My Fitness Pal. It's the same thing as Calorie Count-- both great. In CC you can change the calories you want to consume, along with selecting various diets (eg Atkins, Mediterranean). You can also change the variables in those selected diets, like if you want to consume 30% carbs instead of 40%.

Even before Wegs I was not able to lose weight easily--ever. And I definitely couldn't do it without A LOT of exercise. Thankfully I loved to exercise and was able to keep my weight under control while staying healthy.

annekat
06-07-2012, 04:11 AM
BTW, Sangye, I did check your blog and saw the latest entry about the troubles your sangha is having with cyberstalkers. How very upsetting that must be for the individual and everyone in the community. It seems so unfair that the authorities are not more willing to help. So someone being a "public figure" means they have fewer rights to protection than the rest of us? I hope they come to their senses and do something before they are forced to by something even worse happening.

annekat
06-07-2012, 04:16 AM
I looked at My Fitness Pal. It's the same thing as Calorie Count-- both great. In CC you can change the calories you want to consume, along with selecting various diets (eg Atkins, Mediterranean). You can also change the variables in those selected diets, like if you want to consume 30% carbs instead of 40%.

That's good to hear. I'm using My Fitness Pal but will check out CC. Yesterday was my first day and what I learned was that even healthful, wholesome foods can really add up in calories. I rarely eat any kind of junk food. I also learned that I WILL have to exercise.

Dryhill
06-07-2012, 09:44 AM
....... it's a great way to stay rooted in reality.

I am not sure I really like reality. In my fantasy eveyone is nice to one another, there are no wars or riots and everyone has plenty to eat and easy access to free health care, plus they have great jobs with sufficient salaries to enjoy themselves. Oh and by the way, I am 21 - 25 years old incredibly good looking and weigh 120 pounds. Then I look in a mirror or see the news on tv and bother reality is back again.

Jim

freakyschizogirl
06-08-2012, 04:51 AM
I am not sure I really like reality. In my fantasy eveyone is nice to one another, there are no wars or riots and everyone has plenty to eat and easy access to free health care, plus they have great jobs with sufficient salaries to enjoy themselves. Oh and by the way, I am 21 - 25 years old incredibly good looking and weigh 120 pounds. Then I look in a mirror or see the news on tv and bother reality is back again.

Jim

I like your version of reality Jim. In mine I'm still 19 and a slimmer (uk size) 16. I honestly think that until i look in the mirror.

pberggren1
06-08-2012, 09:06 AM
It is hard to stay rooted in reality.

Dryhill
06-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I like your version of reality Jim. In mine I'm still 19 and a slimmer (uk size) 16. I honestly think that until i look in the mirror.

It is ok Sam, when I become dictator I will ban all mirrors larger than hand-held size. Oh I suppose those mirrors that make one look slim should be allowed to stay.

Jim

Debbie C
06-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I realized now when I eat,I just shove food in my mouth like no tomorrow..before I would eat very slowly and always be the last one done. I wonder if this contributes to putting on the weight also because your not giving your brain time to relize your full before your heading for seconds.I'm gonna try to slow it down again and I will be going to Florida in about a month(my sister just bought a house there and she wants me to drive back down with her ) so I plan on taking nice long relazing walks on the beach.

freakyschizogirl
06-08-2012, 05:15 PM
It is ok Sam, when I become dictator I will ban all mirrors larger than hand-held size. Oh I suppose those mirrors that make one look slim should be allowed to stay.

Jim

Can you also impose that only flattering light be used? Florescent be banned and Candle light is to be used everywhere

Psyborg
06-08-2012, 09:29 PM
I realized now when I eat,I just shove food in my mouth like no tomorrow..before I would eat very slowly and always be the last one done. I wonder if this contributes to putting on the weight also because your not giving your brain time to relize your full before your heading for seconds.I'm gonna try to slow it down again and I will be going to Florida in about a month(my sister just bought a house there and she wants me to drive back down with her ) so I plan on taking nice long relazing walks on the beach.
That definitely has an effect. When you eat very quickly your body doesn't realize it is full until after it actually is. Basically it leads to over-eating based on speed alone.

Sangye
06-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Eating fast also contributes to very poor digestion, which means you're not absorbing nutrients. This creates a vicious cycle: the body will crave more food based on nutrient need, not on calories alone. People who eat a lot of processed food become overweight and malnourished at the same time.

Take a bite of food, put your fork down and chew it thoroughly, all the way down to mush. That will slow you down a lot.

Al
06-09-2012, 05:17 AM
I also sign on to the "slow food" movement, and for an additional reason as well. We are built to eat socially, and meals are best with a social component. This requires drawing out the enjoyment of same as long as is reasonable. Of course, there are many times when this is not possible. Still, if when alone, the act of eating slowly is not only good for the body, but good for the psyche as well.

Al

Dryhill
06-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Can you also impose that only flattering light be used? Florescent be banned and Candle light is to be used everywhere

Ok Sam, as soon as I take over all shops and offices will only be lit by candles. It will be called "The Sam Law".

Jim

freakyschizogirl
06-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Ok Sam, as soon as I take over all shops and offices will only be lit by candles. It will be called "The Sam Law".

Jim

As long as they are scented Yankee Candles this is ok by me!

Dryhill
06-09-2012, 07:03 PM
As long as they are scented Yankee Candles this is ok by me!

Sam, I think it will be easier if I make you co-dictator then you can sort out what type of candles will be allowed. I am afraid there is one big snag to being a dictator of a country and that there iks very little chance of any advancement/promotion.

Jim

freakyschizogirl
06-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Thats fine by me, partner!

AmyA
06-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Congrats on the loss! You are now my inspiration :)

carriej22
06-23-2012, 11:01 AM
I was never "skinny" but I wasn't much of a big eater. My big downfall was the amount of sugary drinks I consumed.

Now I find I am "shovelling" as well. My husband is amazed. He inhales food and I am almost able to keep up with him, it scares me. I've started eating food in a bowl rather than on a plate and I've also bought myself some nifty divided plates so I can keep track of portions. I also bought some smaller forks. It's like a bottomless pit. We ordered Chinese the other night and normally I eat it my "Dinner for 1" over the course of two days, and I was disappointed that I almost finished it all! I used to be able to go all day without eating and not even notice and now it's like my stomach literally gets nauseated if I don't eat on time. It's very inconvenient.

I have also been drinking a full glass of water before meals, else it's just chaos. I re organized my fridge so all the healthy stuff is sitting in front so if I have a munchy attack at 4am (literally wake up starving) I can grab a handful of carrots or grapes and get back into bed.

drz
06-23-2012, 10:58 PM
High dosage of pred causes many munchy attacks for most of us. Trying to fill up with healthier low carb stuff is good idea when possible.

Sangye
06-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Carrie, when I was started on high-dose pred I didn't know it increased the appetite. I thought my suddenly ravenous appetite was due to being so depleted. I gained 40lbs in 3 months. I've gained another 20 since then. The weight doesn't come off as easily, especially if you're not able to be active. It is just miserable lugging this weight around! It's caused so many other complications and is the #1 thing I would change.

I suggest you do anything you can to control what you eat. Eating salty, sugary and fatty foods will make your taste buds crave more. Pred takes away your body's ability to know when your stomach is full. Force yourself to eat the portions you used to, not what you want to eat. Get used to just feeling hungry. Eat only healthy foods, no junk food. It's not forever-- only until you get much lower on the pred.

Also, drinking a full glass of water before meals is very popular with dieters but it's disastrous to your digestion, which ultimately makes it impossible to lose weight. It dilutes the stomach acid and digestive enzymes. If you want to fill up like that, at least have a tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to the water. That will assist digestion. You can get that kind of ACV in a health food store. A better idea is to eat a large salad or large amount of veggies in the beginning of your meal. Make sure you chew it thoroughly. That will help fill you up and you get good nutrition.

I wish someone would have told me all this early on. This weight is very depressing.

pberggren1
06-24-2012, 06:22 AM
I feel very sad for all the people that have gained so much pred weight and cannot get it off.

Sangye
06-24-2012, 06:31 AM
It is miserable. I was never even shaped like this. I carried my weight in my hips and legs, not in my abdomen and upper body. This huge stomach... I can't even bend or move the same way. I feel like someone glued me into one of those fat suits like they use in movies. It's depressing and I can hardly ever laugh about it.

Palmyra
06-24-2012, 06:58 AM
I heard an online lecture of Dr Seo's during the last symposium. Regarding food, he quoted Michael Pollan: "Eat real food, not too much. Mostly plants" He also suggested checking one's neck size. If your neck measures greater than 17" you likely suffer from sleep apnea. A CPAP machine can help you breathe at night, allowing you to feel more energized during the day so you can stay active and be more happy/confident. Build muscle in your shoulders and thighs to help avoid major joint issues which can further complicate things. Make your own meals...don't eat out unless you know how processed the food is.

Best wishes to all! Don't give up! My daughter has lost much weight and gained muscle mass over the last 9 months out of shear determination. I am very proud of her!

pberggren1
06-24-2012, 07:00 AM
It is for sure depressing. Remember Minneapolis Mark? He is almost 400lb and is getting bariatric bypass surgery. His depression is very severe.

Sangye
06-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Jane, I can try and try and still not lose any weight or gain strength. It's very defeating. All of my docs have agreed there's no way I'm gonna lose any weight until I can get off or much lower on the hydrocortisone, even though I'm only on an equivalent of 5mg pred. I was on 2.5 mg for a few years and couldn't lose a pound either.

Phil, that is really sad about Mark. They shouldn't be doing the surgery until his depression is under control. You can't make sound decisions with severe depression.

pberggren1
06-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Yes, I am worred for Mark as well. I have not heard from him in quite a while. I don't know if he has had the surgery yet or not.

Dryhill
06-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I was never "skinny" but I wasn't much of a big eater. My big downfall was the amount of sugary drinks I consumed.

The real big problem with sugary drinks is fructose which stops a chemical being produced (by the liver I think), which sends a signal telling the brain when the body has enough food. So the brain thinks the body needs more food, hence we put weight on.

Jim

carriej22
06-24-2012, 08:57 PM
This is all very interesting. What a nasty drug!

I had lost about 40lbs prior to being diagnosed with wegeners, so I am still under what I was (other than my FACE ugh) but I can feel it creeping back. I was never a person to get the munchies or be ravenous and this is very difficult. I do however ensure to eat "real" foods. We treat once a week in this house and that's the way it goes.

Any tips for filling up? I find it's literally waking me up during the night. Almost nauseous with hunger, it's terrible. My mother is on prednisone as well, and she finds that everything tastes really sweet/good/better. I don't find that - it's just the starving Marvin's!

Sangye
06-25-2012, 01:38 AM
That 40lb weight loss will come in handy, but careful-- it can creep up very fast out of nowhere.

Until I was on high-dose pred, I never ever wanted to eat during the night. It was just unthinkable. But on the initial doses of pred I'd be up in the night gobbling up big spoonfuls of cottage cheese. And every morning I ate 3 eggs and toast! I rarely eat eggs otherwise but I craved them so badly.

Fill up on veggies as much as possible-- especially low glycemic index veggies. Make sure you get good amounts of protein, too. You need that to repair tissue and maintain muscle, particularly since pred is catabolic (ie, it causes muscle loss).

freakyschizogirl
06-29-2012, 07:16 AM
I only read on the forum this week about pred causing muscle loss.

I dunno, maybe i was told but forgot but it seems something worth mentioning again and again to someone on long term steroids.

Lightwarrior
06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
I love your new avatar. A very pretty picture of you.

Natalie
06-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Sorry but :w00t: this tread is making me hungry :o
i have no sense of smell so if i see hear read ... i want .... me bad .. :wink1:

carriej22
06-29-2012, 10:47 AM
I've got brownies on the oven cooling.. Don't even start.. LOL

I never bake - or eat after 6pm. It's 9:47. I don't like chocolate.

This is a problem...

Dryhill
06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
I've got brownies on the oven cooling.. Don't even start.. LOL

I never bake - or eat after 6pm. It's 9:47. I don't like chocolate.

This is a problem...

You don't like chocolate ................... well that proves it there are aliens out there and some of them clearly live in New Brunswick! Carrie, live long and prosper.

Jim

Dryhill
06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Sam, I also like your avatar.

Jim

Dryhill
06-29-2012, 11:01 AM
This is all very interesting. What a nasty drug!

Any tips for filling up? I find it's literally waking me up during the night. Almost nauseous with hunger, it's terrible. My mother is on prednisone as well, and she finds that everything tastes really sweet/good/better. I don't find that - it's just the starving Marvin's!

Munching on a stick of celery or on a raw carrot, both of these will probably burn off more calories in eating them than you will put on.

Jim

freakyschizogirl
06-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Sam, I also like your avatar.

Jim

Thanks. It was taken on my birthday trip to London by my fiance Stu.

Dryhill
06-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks. It was taken on my birthday trip to London by my fiance Stu.

When you where in the smoke did you go anywhere exciting. I try and keep away from London as much as possible, though if I go and see my elder daughter I do have to go to Streatham (south London).

Jim

freakyschizogirl
07-02-2012, 07:44 AM
When you where in the smoke did you go anywhere exciting. I try and keep away from London as much as possible, though if I go and see my elder daughter I do have to go to Streatham (south London).

Jim

Its gonna sound like we did a lot : We went to West End Live for about half an hour when it started raining, went to Leicester Sq for lunch, walked round covent garden shopping, checked in at the hotel in Kings Cross, went to the South bank for a walk and evening supper and drinks, then headed back to Leicester Sq for more drinks and watch the England fans get disapointed at losing in the world cup, hahahaha.
Next morning we went shopping in Camden and then came home - we did intend on going to the aquarium but we were too tired!

While at West End Live they had lots of tents with various things in them - one tent had Darth Vader and 2 Storm Troopers who were letting people pose for photos with them, when Stu went to pose they too his backpack from him and told him to get down on his knees with his hands over his head - he did. Then after the photo the Storm Trooper aka mugger then said he hadnt seen Stu's bag and we had to go searching for it in the tent - Stu not amused! A few tents along was another Star Wars theme, this time we got to pose as Jedi's with R2-D2 and C3PO and have a 'fight' with lightsabres!

Dryhill
07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Was anything taken from Stu's bag? I hope this did not spoiul your break.

Jim

freakyschizogirl
07-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Was anything taken from Stu's bag? I hope this did not spoiul your break.

Jim

No but they broke the zip, thieving Storm Troopers - no wonder they've taken over the galaxy!

Dryhill
07-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Sam, may the force be with you and Stu.

Jim

freakyschizogirl
07-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Just wanna take to opportunity to share some...well, quite frankly amazing news - i havent been dieting for 3 weeks due to birthdays etc and somehow i've lost 4lbs!

Cant understand how cos i've been eating chocolate and cake and all bad things. Its a mystery!

mishb
07-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Just wanna take to opportunity to share some...well, quite frankly amazing news - i havent been dieting for 3 weeks due to birthdays etc and somehow i've lost 4lbs!

Cant understand how cos i've been eating chocolate and cake and all bad things. Its a mystery!

You have been very active these past few weeks, so it all counts.....walking, tennis etc.

It's all starting to gel.....great work:thumbsup:

Hopeful
07-10-2012, 11:18 PM
My regimen was lots of fish, vegetables, fruit, and yogurt. Everything eaten in 150 calorie portions with no meal exceeding 550 calories. Snacking was allowed in order to increase nutrition (veg or fruit). Main meals were breakfast and lunch (low GI). Dinner was toast and fruit, or an egg if I did not have protein at lunch. I did not eat after 7:00pm. Everytime my husband pushed me to eat dinner I packed on the pounds because I was/am too tired to move much in the evenings. I have a couple of supportive workmates who also helped keep me on track, bless them!

Currently, I still adhere to this regimen - except I now eat chocolate and cookies as a snack, but not everyday. And truthfully, I really don't enjoy them as much anymore. There's a silver lining to every cloud! Oh, and Betty White (actress) had some great advice. Weigh yourself every day, and when you gain a pound take it right off, because losing 1 pound is easier than losing 5 pounds. I've lost 26 lbs following this eating and exercising routine.

I also joined a gym and swam everyday for an hour. I gave it up because I really don't like to swim in crowded pools. Then joined an aquaphysio group for arthritics which was the best thing! It really helped with the muscles and joints. I also walk about a mile after work each day.

freakyschizogirl
07-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Very true mish, me and stu have taken up tennis, usually only twice a week but its obviously working. Although stu slipped over today while we were playing so i dont think he'll wanna paly for a few days!

Hopeful, where in the world are you? I dont like swimming in crowded pools either and not as strong a swimmer as i used to be. I would take up a gym membership just to swim if i thought i'd keep it up and not whimp out in a crowd! Me and Stu go for fun swim sessions at a pool about 30miles away but we do swim whilst there so its not all fun and games - we always come out famished.

I am back to calorie counting this week, but i dont wanna get obsessive and weigh myself every day. Plus sometimes i eat more one day and not the next so i'd rather look back on the week where things have a chance to even themselves out.

Yesterday i was under my calories but today i went over them (damn my mum for making rhubarb crumble and custard!)

Dryhill
07-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Yesterday i was under my calories but today i went over them (damn my mum for making rhubarb crumble and custard!)

Sam, I am hurt that you did not invite me round for some crumble and custard :crying:

Jim

Hopeful
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm in Australia. In terms of weighing yourself, ya' gotta do what works for you. Weighing myself once or twice a week got me up to 200 lbs (199.6 actually) which was a real wakeup call, so I knew I had to change what I was doing. Don't get me wrong. I did have my pity parties where I had a regular chocolate buffet. But even after cutting these out I still wasn't losing the weight. More of a yo-yo effect. So I figured it had more to do with scheduling rather than intake (on non-chocolate days I was taking in less calories than I am now.). I am not obsessive with calorie counting, but I know if I eat a 6 inch Subway sandwich at lunch, then I am having chicken noodle soup for dinner! However, I wouldn't mind some of your mum's rhubarb crumble right now! :drool:

freakyschizogirl
07-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks for reminding me - there's still some crumble left but there wont be by the time i get home!!

annekat
07-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Thanks for reminding me - there's still some crumble left but there wont be by the time i get home!!
That crumble sounds delectable. I have some rhubarb in the fridge I haven't used.:drool:

freakyschizogirl
07-13-2012, 08:12 AM
That Rhubarb was grown in our garden and tasted delicious! All gone now tho, sorry folks! :w00t::drool: