PDA

View Full Version : Meds & Sunlight Exposure?

TOBEY32
03-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Hate reading through the "small" print paperwork regarding side-effects and precautions.
I take Imuran, Prednisone, Bactrim (as well, HBP and an acid blocker). Seems like one of these say something though about sun exposure. I've not kept myself from the sun in any way, but wondering if I should be.

Do you take any of the above and know how they relate to sun exposure?

David

pberggren1
03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
I think with Bactrim one has to be careful about over exposure to the sun. Not sure how much though, but I would think as long as you don't get burnt it should be okay.

Dryhill
03-31-2012, 12:01 PM
I was advised that as my immune sysytem was being supressed I would be more likely to get skin cancer from too much exposure to the sun. But no one seemed to be able to tell me how much was too much.

Jim

Al
03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Actually, it is the prednisone more than the bactrim that is the worry. Skin becomes much more sensitive to sunlight while on the stuff, and the risk of melanomas and the like increases substantially. I haven't personally become a vampire in that regard, though it is true that there has not yet been all that much sunlight in my area this year. But I do wear long sleeved shirts, and will even when and if the sun does shine upon us. But we shouldn't get carried away: some sun is actually good for us, believe it or not....

Al

Sangye
03-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Several of my meds make me sunburn easily. I'm also super sensitive to heat, so spending time in the sun sounds awful to me at this point.

pberggren1
03-31-2012, 04:21 PM
I just can't handle the heat and sunlight anymore. The summer heat just drains me and the sunlight is way too bright for me even in the other seasons. I just hang out in the cave.......lol.

delorisdoe
03-31-2012, 11:53 PM
It is the most noted side effect of bactrim...makes me burn like a lobster if I forget about it.

me2
04-01-2012, 06:20 AM
Yeah, bactrim turns me beet red too. Pred does not seem to affect me too much (except in all those other wonderful ways)

delorisdoe
04-01-2012, 06:42 AM
ya, that is one side effect of prednisone seems to have eluded-spelling?-me in the last 12 years of use.

Dryhill
04-01-2012, 09:02 AM
I just can't handle the heat and sunlight anymore. The summer heat just drains me and the sunlight is way too bright for me even in the other seasons. I just hang out in the cave.......lol.

That makes sense Bruce, or is it Robin?

Jim

Debbie C
04-01-2012, 10:20 AM
I love the sun and can't get enough of it, but I have had basic cell cancer removed twice and my father died from melonomia. I was just at the dermatologist last week and he had to freeze a pre cancerous spot on my chest and I also have a slight rash on my neck that he said was from the sunlight and the preds. I quess I'm gonna have to lather up with sunscreen this year.

pberggren1
04-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Jim, they call me Bruce.

Deb, it sounds like you have to be careful for sure when out in the sun. Do you have to see a special doc about this?

onatreetop
04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
I burn easier and quicker. There have been occasions that even with sunblock I have burned. Also has made me sick Almost flu like when I have gotten to much sun. The heat is not easy to deal with either. The humdity is the worst part for me. Seems as if I start sweating about May and stop about November. Then off and on the rest of the year. whore capris all winter and flip flops even with 30 degrees. Didnt use anything heavier than a sweatshirt for a coat either. I run hot like most of us. That and the wonderful cushings us lucky steriod users get. I always look red and get redder as the hours pass.

Debbie C
04-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Phil.. I just see a regular dermatologist for any skin issues. I got my skin cancer when I was living in Florida and hanging out by the pool or beach everyday...not much sun here in Ohio,but when its out so I'm I !!

ShaniBooT
04-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Al, that is for sure no sun here in the North West. I was wondering why not to get in the sun when taking some of these meds. I didn't know that you could get skin cancer easier. Nice to know. I don't think any worry here in Seattle lately.

Barbara and Dean

Sangye
04-02-2012, 01:56 AM
I burn easier and quicker. There have been occasions that even with sunblock I have burned. Also has made me sick Almost flu like when I have gotten to much sun. The heat is not easy to deal with either. The humdity is the worst part for me. Seems as if I start sweating about May and stop about November. Then off and on the rest of the year. whore capris all winter and flip flops even with 30 degrees. Didnt use anything heavier than a sweatshirt for a coat either. I run hot like most of us. That and the wonderful cushings us lucky steriod users get. I always look red and get redder as the hours pass.
Sounds like me!

Al
04-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Al, that is for sure no sun here in the North West. I was wondering why not to get in the sun when taking some of these meds. I didn't know that you could get skin cancer easier. Nice to know. I don't think any worry here in Seattle lately.

Barbara and DeanNo skin cancer here, Barbara. On the other hand, I get we'd better keep popping those vitamin D pills!

Al

Debbie C
04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
delorisdoe--------U have been on Preds for 12 years??? I would surely think that is not good for you.

me2
04-02-2012, 12:16 PM
delorisdoe--------U have been on Preds for 12 years??? I would surely think that is not good for you.

I too have been on pred continuously for 12 years. It currently beats the alternative. Some people get the war over quickly , some get stuck in the trenches.

Debbie C
04-03-2012, 08:36 AM
I've just been back on them for the last 6 months and I thought that was a long time, I quess I could be in for a rude awakening

delorisdoe
04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
No I have been off and on for 12 years. 2.5 years straight of pred and cytoxan in the beginning...

pberggren1
04-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Speaking of sunlight exposure.........

I saw a news thing today about skin cancer and tanning beds.

I never saw the use of tanning beds except to make oneself look aparently better. I never thought that fake baked look looked anywhere appealing. So now I guess there is more proof that these tanning beds cause cancer as well. I always thought they did.