PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil: Eating/Cooking

TOBEY32
03-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Heard it's good for weight loss among other things. Don't know if it will work against Prednisone weight gain.
Has the consistency of lard, but a pleasant taste. You have to heat it in some way really to cook with it, but guessing overheating (burning) it and the unhealthy takes over?
Starting out with a table spoon a day. Have heard 2 tablespoons/day is a good regiment (Dr. Oz).
Guess, if nothing else, one could just let it melt in your mouth. Have heard it's good in Oriental dishes, but I'm not the biggest cook and I'm looking for more main-stream/simple ways. It's very high in saturated fat, but maybe since it's a good fat(?) it's okay? Also does it need refrigeration once opened?

Don't know if you know anything?

David

Dirty Don
03-25-2012, 03:57 AM
I hate coconut, but I have heard the same although not thru Dr. Oz...then again, I do tend to follow yellow brick roads!! LOL

drz
03-25-2012, 06:49 AM
I saw a blurb where they used it to treat Alzheimer's disease. They claimed it might also be used to prevent it.

Dryhill
03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Have heard it's good in Oriental dishes

It is often an important ingredient in oriental dishes. When I have run out of coconut oil I have tried using olive oil and that does NOT work well. :ohmy:

Jim

Al
03-25-2012, 03:35 PM
The main things coconut oil has going for it are long shelf life before going rancid, and ability to withstand high heat without breaking down. So you can fry with it. On the other hand, it is, as you note, high in saturated fats, so most dieticians recommend limiting its use. Also, like many other fats, it is often partly hydrogenated--read: full of trans fats, which is a dietary no-no. There are many who see coconut oil as a bit of a miracle fat. I am, at this time, unconvinced. And, given the cultish nature of its marketing, it will now take a lot to convince me. (Sadly, the Alzheimers claim does not seem to hold up. There is no research that I have found to support it. Personally, I prefer to flavor Thai and other "oriental" dishes with sesame oil.

Al

Sangye
03-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Coconut oil is great. Using organic coconut oil solves the problem of trans fat content. MDs persist with the myth about saturated fats being linked to heart disease. They're slow learners. :wink1:

You can stir fry veggies in it (you don't need much), which gives the veggies a great taste. Look online for recipes.