PDA

View Full Version : Taste buds gone forever???

KimP
03-22-2012, 02:31 AM
Just came home from visiting my dad who has a query... Since becoming ill his taste buds have gone. Although I immediately suspected it could be the result of chemo he pointed out that he lost his taste buds prior to chemo commencing... Has anyone any advice I can forward on to him?

Yvonnea
03-22-2012, 04:01 AM
My sense of smell went for about a year and a half. And because of this affected my taste buds. But since I am in remission, both senses came back as suddenly as they went. Hopefully your Dad's is just temporary too. Terrible when everything tastes blah....didnt stop me eating though ,-)

Lightwarrior
03-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Just came home from visiting my dad who has a query... Since becoming ill his taste buds have gone. Although I immediately suspected it could be the result of chemo he pointed out that he lost his taste buds prior to chemo commencing... Has anyone any advice I can forward on to him?

I lost my sense of smell about a year ago and the taste of some of my favorite foods has changed. Then after my brief bout with confusion shortely after the onset of shingles, I can smell some things and while my taste buds are still skewed my favorotes aren't obnoxious any more, just bland.

Al
03-22-2012, 06:11 AM
I also lost part of my taste buds, Kim--particularly those sensitive to salt. In my case it was definitely the cytoxan. They say that usually this comes back. In my case, this is only partly true, but i still like to eat!

Al

JanW
03-22-2012, 06:17 AM
I definitely had taste perversion -- things didn't taste the way they were supposed to -- which immediately cleared within maybe six weeks of being treated.

Dirty Don
03-22-2012, 06:20 AM
I'm on mtx, lost my taste and smell. Taste is coming back, but smell is still off...even garlic barely gets through. The WG's main attack was on my sinuses, so not surprised. Doc says it should come back as drug intake tapers. We'll see!

annekat
03-22-2012, 06:27 AM
I have lost sense of smell, I hope not permanently. I feel like I can still taste but suspect it is somewhat dulled. I'm hopeful that both will come back.

drz
03-22-2012, 09:36 AM
I remember that after intubation all my food tasted like crap, even the water. Friends brought flavored outside bottled water and used lots of tea to get liquids in me. Taste returned to normal after a few weeks.

do they offer any extra spices or sauces that might make things more palatable? I think horseradish and stinky blue cheese would have been preferable to the horrible taste I remember.

Dryhill
03-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Oh you all have me worried, I cannot imagine not being able to taste my food or even worse it tasting bad. I mean life would not be worth living if I cannot enjoy a good healthy bar of chocolate or even healthier fish and chips with loads of vinegar.

Jim

annekat
03-23-2012, 05:06 AM
Oh you all have me worried, I cannot imagine not being able to taste my food or even worse it tasting bad. I mean life would not be worth living if I cannot enjoy a good healthy bar of chocolate or even healthier fish and chips with loads of vinegar.

Jim Well, Jim, since you haven't lost it yet, it seems likely you won't. I can still taste chocolate just fine, and your fish and chips are making me hungry.

Al
03-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I remember that after intubation all my food tasted like crap, even the water. Friends brought flavored outside bottled water and used lots of tea to get liquids in me. Taste returned to normal after a few weeks.

do they offer any extra spices or sauces that might make things more palatable? I think horseradish and stinky blue cheese would have been preferable to the horrible taste I remember.
I love stinky cheese! I despise horseradish! In any case, I cook with a lot of spices--gustatory quantities, not medicinal dosages. This helps, as I also keep salt low. It does open a new window on what menu planning is all about.

Al

Al
03-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Jim

Ah, Jim. Plaice and fine chocolate--what a treat! But then you have to ruin it by mentioning the V. word. You are so cruel....

Al

Dryhill
03-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Al, most Brits when talking of fish and chips mean instant take away food (like KFC, MacDonalds etc). In which case cod is the usual fish and is served in a nice healthy fatty batter. Plaice is generally served in breadcrumbs in a restaruant, and I agree for that one should use lemon or better still tartar sauce. BTW the real way of eating take away fish and chips is wrapped up in yesterdays newspaper so all the ink and fat is nicely on your hands, but these days the damned health and safety people insist on sterile plain paper ......... spoil sports!

Jim

Al
03-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Al, most Brits when talking of fish and chips mean instant take away food (like KFC, MacDonalds etc). In which case cod is the usual fish and is served in a nice healthy fatty batter. Plaice is generally served in breadcrumbs in a restaruant, and I agree for that one should use lemon or better still tartar sauce. BTW the real way of eating take away fish and chips is wrapped up in yesterdays newspaper so all the ink and fat is nicely on your hands, but these days the damned health and safety people insist on sterile plain paper ......... spoil sports!

Jim
I remember those newspaper wrappers, Jim. I always thought the Telegraph was the tastiest--or maybe the Evening Standard. But then your on it again, clearly trying to make me nauseous. Tarter sauce? Oh, gag me with a chainsaw! That mung has both vinegar (or vinegarized mayonnaise) and pickles (also called gherkins). Do you hate me so much??!!

Al

mishb
03-26-2012, 12:11 AM
I remember those newspaper wrappers, Jim. I always thought the Telegraph was the tastiest--or maybe the Evening Standard. But then your on it again, clearly trying to make me nauseous. Tarter sauce? Oh, gag me with a chainsaw! That mung has both vinegar (or vinegarized mayonnaise) and pickles (also called gherkins). Do you hate me so much??!!

Al

I agree with you Al......gag

I remember the fish and chips in yesterdays paper and then they went to plain paper, and now........we get them in a take away box placed into a paper bag.
........it is so not the same :thumbdn:

Al
03-26-2012, 06:12 AM
I agree with you Al......gag

I remember the fish and chips in yesterdays paper and then they went to plain paper, and now........we get them in a take away box placed into a paper bag.
........it is so not the same :thumbdn:It's also not the same, Michelle, now that I can't gobble so much salt. Interesting, what, that humans love salty grease. Or sugary grease, like ice cream. If only we came with a limit switch....

Al

Dryhill
03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Michelle and Al, what are you ..... honory Brits? You both remember the proper way to eat fish and chips and you are correct Michelle it is not the same!

Al, you gave me a bad coughing fit with your wonderful description of your weird dislike to one of God's best creations t****r sauce (hope the *'s help you feel less nauseous).

Jim

annekat
03-26-2012, 02:27 PM
While not being a tartar sauce expert, I do know there is good and bad tartar sauce..... I've tasted some homemade that was very good and some out of a jar that wasn't.....

Al
03-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Al, you gave me a bad coughing fit with your wonderful description of your weird dislike to one of God's best creations t****r sauce (hope the *'s help you feel less nauseous).

JimIf so, Jim, it would be enough to make an atheist of me.

Anne: There can be no such thing as good t****r sauce so long as pickles and vinegar are involved, except. perhaps, as embodied in the phrase is "the only good t****r sauce is a hermetically sealed t****r sauce."

Al

annekat
03-26-2012, 06:11 PM
If so, Jim, it would be enough to make an atheist of me.

Anne: There can be no such thing as good t****r sauce so long as pickles and vinegar are involved, except. perhaps, as embodied in the phrase is "the only good t****r sauce is a hermetically sealed t****r sauce."

Al Does it always have pickles? I'm not sure the homemade stuff I liked did. If so, I'd rather they were dill than sweet, and finely chopped. I guess vinegar would be unavoidable... like I said, I'm not an expert.

mishb
03-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Al

Exactly, I say the same thing to my daughter everytime she gets tartar sauce, she says, but mum this is really good tartar sauce .......... I say, there is no such thing.

My mother hates it (and she will read this) but we do not get salt on our fish and chips and we also have the fish grilled.......it's a far cry from the old days. :sad:

Unfortunately I am not lucky enough to have tastebuds that don't work. Sometimes I wish they didn't.......maybe would even be able to try tartar without gagging

Dryhill
03-26-2012, 09:33 PM
If so, Jim, it would be enough to make an atheist of me.

Al

Now I am coughing and rolling on the floor with laughter.

Jim

Julbkwrm
03-27-2012, 01:06 AM
My Wegener's has attacked my sinuses, so my sense of smell is really limited, and my taste buds are really weak. I have to keep checking with my husband on flavors and smells. My tastes have not changed, but I can not always detect subtle flavors in some foods. The ENT said this should subside once the Wegener's gets under control.

I hope your dad gets his sense of taste back.