PDA

View Full Version : Just finished 2txs of rtx

Jaha
03-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Just a heads up to all. I had my 1st 1000mg rtx infusion on Mar 1 at CC. I did have a slight reaction during the infusion a burning sensation in the roof of my mouth and they had to stop it and give me addition benadryl and then restarted it. Then I had a bigger reaction to it about 12hrs after the infusion. I woke up and I started coughing, couldn't breath,was shaking and had a fever of 102.5. I was able to pull out of it by taking 40 more mgs of preds, using my pred inhaler and taking tylenol. It took me about 5 days to recoup from that 1st one. My dr when I called her about it the next morning, seem surprised that I had this happen to me 12hrs later instead of during the infusion. She wanted to know if I wanted to cancell the next infusion, I said no because I really want remission. I then had my 2nd 1000mg infusion on the 15th and this time they told me to take tylenol and benadryl for 24 hrs after the infusion. They also gave me a extra dose of preds 60mgs after it was completed. It is Monday now and I am not feeling as drained as the 1st one made me. I thought telling you all about the tylenol and benadryl might help somebody not have to go thru a delayed reaction to rtx.

Jana

drz
03-20-2012, 11:43 AM
They used the same protocol for my blood and other transfusions (antibiotics) besides RTX to minimize any reactions to the transfusions. It helped with those as well.

Dryhill
03-20-2012, 01:10 PM
When I had Rtx the first thing they automatically gave me was two paracetamol tablets to help with any temperature problems. After that they gave me an infusion of antihistamine to combat any allergic reaction. My only problem was the six hours the whole thing took.

Jim

Debbie C
03-20-2012, 01:20 PM
when I had my first infusion I was so cold that they had out 3 blankets on me..I was also there 6 hrs and it was time for the guy to go him so he pushed the iv faster which gave me a reaction of being really cold and shaky for about a week. I told my doc these and he didn't believe me again it was just my anxiety

Dryhill
03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
I told my doc these and he didn't believe me again it was just my anxiety

A truly caring doctor you have Debra. :ohmy:

Jim

KathyB
03-22-2012, 08:33 AM
I also have had a standard protocol of taking Benadryl and Tylenol before Rtx infusion. No problems...

KB

Sangye
03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Dr Seo orders 100mg of pred when I do rtx and I've never had a reaction. He says he would never give less than 80mg for a rtx infusion. (If someone were on high dose pred already he'd give 80mg minus their daily dose)