PDA

View Full Version : proper pronunciation

vdub
03-16-2012, 12:32 PM
So, the Mayo Clinic says the proper pronunciation of Wegner's is VEG-uh-nurz gran-u-loe-muh-TOE-sis
Wegener's granulomatosis - MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wegeners-granulomatosis/DS00833)

So does that make us veggies? :-)

KathyB
03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
I remember hearing it pronounced the correct way numerous times early in my hospitalization and before dx and finally asked the staff to spell it! Sounded like my Austrian/German family members speaking!

annekat
03-16-2012, 01:44 PM
I like Weggies better than Veggies.

Anne

Sangye
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
I like the proper pronunciation because it sounds like "Vague" which is a perfect description of Wegs. But I'm not gonna use it. People have a hard enough time with the Wegs name.

pberggren1
03-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I've always done it the propper way. But when I talk with you guys or my doc I just call it Wegs.

annekat
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
I think Veggies would be OK as long as no one thinks we are talking about vegetables.

Anne

mishb
03-16-2012, 03:31 PM
My ENT (an Aussie through and through) used the proper pronounciation when he first diagnosed my symptoms......... with the full on accent and all.

......Excuse me!!, say what??, huh!?!?. My husband and I just looked at each other ....... did you get what he just said??!! Nope.

I had no idea what I was supposed to have until I later read it on the blood test slip he had just handed to me.

Our way is so much easier.

freakyschizogirl
03-16-2012, 08:03 PM
First time i was told i could possibly have Wegs the doc pronounced it Vague-ners. I came home and tried to google it - trying all sorts of spellings and couldn find it.
Its funny how the longer word Granulomatosis is the easist to pronounce!

When friends and family ask me about this disease i say it sounds different then its spelt and people give you the oddest looks!

Dryhill
03-16-2012, 08:22 PM
My doctor pronounced it as it looks, which still got a blank look from me and my daughter, luckily one of his junior doctors had already written it down for me. As to weggies or veggies the former is far better, just imagine one could get invited to someones for a meal and they mistakenly think you are a veggy so there is no meat with your meal .......... I mean if God intended us to only eat vegatables why did he make so many tasty animals (This is on par with one of my daughters comment when she was young and I suggested we go out for a walk "If God invented the motor car why should we walk?")?

Jim

delorisdoe
03-16-2012, 09:50 PM
So, the Mayo Clinic says the proper pronunciation of Wegner's is VEG-uh-nurz gran-u-loe-muh-TOE-sis
Wegener's granulomatosis - MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wegeners-granulomatosis/DS00833)

So does that make us veggies? :-)I had a really anoying resident pronounce it like that. Made me want to hit her. I pronounce it way different...gee peee a. lol

freakyschizogirl
03-17-2012, 12:14 AM
I like Weggies. If we become Veggies we'll have to totally re-brand ourselves and it'll become confusing for people thinking we're vegetarian.

When i tell people my diease i say its pronounced Vague-ners but spelt W-E-G-E-N-E-R-S, they look at me like i'm trying to be funny and i laugh and say, "no, really thats how its spelt!"

pwc51
03-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Tha bad news is that whichever way we say it it does not go away or get any better!!!!

drz
03-17-2012, 02:13 AM
I think they changed the name to GPA because they couldn't agree on the pronunciation for Wegener and it had nothing to do with his early Nazi membership.:wink1:

freakyschizogirl
03-17-2012, 02:24 AM
I think they changed the name to GPA because they couldn't agree on the pronunciation for Wegener and it had nothing to do with his early Nazi membership.:wink1:

:w00t::laugh: You could be right there drz!
But GPA is a bit of a mouthful compare to Wegs, the shoulda just gone the whole hogs and called it "the disease with many definitions that will come up and surprise you when you least expect it." Or just Rare and incurable! Seems to be the most common thing people are told.
And i dont think i'll ever get over being told wegs is, "like cancer, but not" No one should ever be introduced to a lifetime disease partner like that!

annekat
03-17-2012, 04:41 AM
I've heard some, including my ENT doc's nurse, call it Wagoner's. Now, that really bugs me.

Anne

delorisdoe
03-17-2012, 04:57 AM
i think they changed the name to gpa because they couldn't agree on the pronunciation for wegener and it had nothing to do with his early nazi membership.:wink1:

like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

annekat
03-17-2012, 05:03 AM
GPA could be OK, unless someone asked me what it stands for. Then, if I could even pronounce it, their eyes would really glaze over. So I'd just say, "its a form of vasculitis".

Anne

Al
03-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Herr Wegener himself would have used the "V" pronunciation. But Dr. Ulrich Specks, who clearly knows his German, uses the "W". Maybe he just can't bring himself to call it a Nazi name...? So maybe GPA isn't so bad. Still, I can't wrap my head around either Guppies or Veggies.

Al

vdub
03-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Interesting..... 17 or so posts to this topic and I didn't receive a single e-mail announcement. I wonder if we are back to that problem again. Believe I had two or three other posts on the same day and no announcements on them either. Anyone else having this problem?

mishb
03-18-2012, 03:36 PM
No vdub, no problem here, I am still receiving an emails.

pberggren1
03-18-2012, 04:15 PM
I barely get any notification e-mails either anymore.

Al
03-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Interesting..... 17 or so posts to this topic and I didn't receive a single e-mail announcement. I wonder if we are back to that problem again. Believe I had two or three other posts on the same day and no announcements on them either. Anyone else having this problem?
Well, I did get this as an email announcement; otherwise, the process seems to be rather intermittent. I had gotten no other announcement from this thread, before or after. Other threads--sometimes, but it is unpredictable.

Al

pwc51
03-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Notifications seem to be working fine for me.

annekat
03-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Notifications seem to be working fine for me. Me, too.
Anne

KathyB
03-19-2012, 06:05 AM
I have never received email notifications about new messages here, just log-in and look at new posts. Is there something I should/can do to make the notifications happen?

KB

annekat
03-19-2012, 06:10 AM
I have never received email notifications about new messages here, just log-in and look at new posts. Is there something I should/can do to make the notifications happen?

KB We don't get notifications for all new messages. Just the ones in threads we've participated in, and then only if we've posted recently. And I never had to do anything to make this happen. So you should have gotten an email about this reply to your post. At least that's how I understand and experience it.

Anne

Al
03-19-2012, 06:16 AM

KBYou can set your wishes in Preferences, Kathy. But for a long time I did not get any announcements. These days, I do get them, but unpredictably.

Al

Lightwarrior
03-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Notifications seem to be working fine for me.

My notifications work fine also.

vdub
03-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Maybe I just missed them. They're working for me as well.... Oh yeah, I like your new avatar, lightwarrior....

annekat
03-19-2012, 07:03 AM
You can set your wishes in Preferences, Kathy. But for a long time I did not get any announcements. These days, I do get them, but unpredictably.

Al I've been playing around with my "wishes" in Forum Settings and Edit Profile, both under Forum Actions. Want to see if my new signature will show up with this post!

drz
03-19-2012, 01:50 PM

On this site it sounds like Vehg ah nah to me:

Wegener pronunciation: How to pronounce Wegener in German (http://www.forvo.com/word/wegener/)

Here too: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Wegener

When I was in the nursing home in a small town near my home there was a street near the restaurant named "Wegener Boulevard" but think it was name for the famous German scientist who died in Greenland, Alfred Wegener. The natives there pronounced the street Vahg ah ner. Google him and read about his life and important studies that only got accepted long after his death. Jet streams and continental drift.

vdub
03-19-2012, 02:14 PM
"Wegener Boulevard" but think it was name for the famous German scientist who died in Greenland, Alfred Wegener. The natives there pronounced the street Vahg ah ner. Google him and read about his life and important studies that only got accepted long after his death. Jet streams and continental drift.
It is really quite phenomenal the amount of contributions Germans have made to science. I suspect most of us are on some drug right now that has a basis in a German lab.

annekat
03-19-2012, 02:26 PM
When I was a kid, it bugged me when my mother, who wasn't German, pronounced Volkswagen "Folksvagen", which I think is pretty much correct. She also, though not Spanish, pronounced patio "pottio", which was even worse. Now, I sort of admire her for it. My dad, on the other hand, did not seem capable of pronouncing "taco" any other way but "tacko". In the long run, it probably works best just to pronounce things the way that others in our culture usually pronounce them. For example, people would look at us pretty weird if we correctly pronounced Des Moines or Boise according to the French language.

Sangye
03-19-2012, 02:58 PM
That cracked me up, Anne. "Tacko." http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

annekat
03-19-2012, 03:29 PM
That cracked me up, Anne. "Tacko." http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com) Sangye, I feel honored to have cracked you up!:biggrin1:

Al
03-19-2012, 03:48 PM
I didn't chortle too much at "tacko", Anne, as I once had a business associate who said the same thing. But I did guffaw greatly at the thought of stopping a redneck bar in Boise and dropping the French pronunciation. I think I would have to come to terms with my mortality without worrying about my present medical condition....

Al

annekat
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I didn't chortle too much at "tacko", Anne, as I once had a business associate who said the same thing. But I did guffaw greatly at the thought of stopping a redneck bar in Boise and dropping the French pronunciation. I think I would have to come to terms with my mortality without worrying about my present medical condition....

Al That IS a funny thought, Al! And I'd like to see a group of Anglo American school children react to "Let's have lunch on the pottio"!

Al
03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
That IS a funny thought, Al! And I'd like to see a group of Anglo American school children react to "Let's have lunch on the pottio"! Another good one: "You talkin' about a picnic on my toilet?"

Al

NicShaf
03-20-2012, 08:58 AM

LOL, love it! Too cute...thanks for the laugh, vdub:)

Brooke
03-20-2012, 09:11 AM
LOL, "tacko"

freakyschizogirl
03-21-2012, 10:33 AM
I had a french teacher once who deightfully told the class she was off to London at the weekend to go to GREEN-WICH, now natives of this dear little England pronounce it Gren-ich. Oh dear, she did get teased alot for that one.

annekat
03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I had a french teacher once who deightfully told the class she was off to London at the weekend to go to GREEN-WICH, now natives of this dear little England pronounce it Gren-ich. Oh dear, she did get teased alot for that one. I think most of us in the US pronounce it as the English do. We learned about it in school because of the Prime Meridian. And there is a Greenwich, Connecticut which I think is pronounced that way, too.

Al
03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
I had a french teacher once who deightfully told the class she was off to London at the weekend to go to GREEN-WICH, now natives of this dear little England pronounce it Gren-ich. Oh dear, she did get teased alot for that one.Cute story, Sam. I agree with Anne that Americans would get that one right, though we are not so hot with other place names, like Worcester Shire, Lewes, Leicaster, Houghton, and Thames. Welsh names? Forget it (Llewellyn? Give me a break!). And, if we want the Dutch to gag, we just mention Van Gogh. On the other hand, my Swiss colleagues, who are actually pretty good with languages, believe that Seattle rhymes with Beetle. Fun sport, I suppose....

Al