PDA

View Full Version : Dla in the uk

Chas
03-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Has anyone in the UK had any success in claiming Disability Living Allowance for Wegeners.I have been diagnosed over a year now and still on medication of steriods and azathioprine and still having to live with breathlessness (unable to walk any distance) and deafness also my kidney function is affected.I would appreciate anyones advice on how to go about claiming DLA.

Debbie C
03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I dont' have any advise about getting disability in the UK since I'm sure things are alot different in the U.S...I had to subit a Dr. note saying I was not able to work due to my immune system being so low that I could't be around people plus I had to go to a pysch. and others dr. they wanted me to go to but I was able to get it. I had a question for you though about your meds. I am currently just on 10 mg.prednisone and just started taking 50 mg. of aza 4 days ago. Since then I have had a terrible time trying to catch a breath and I get dizzy trying..is that normal for just starting out or should not take tonites dose and speak with my dr. in a.m? I really really hate these drugs. I'd rather go without them then to have all the side effects and who knows what else in the future.

crackers
03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
hi chas.i got the claim form from the dla,filled it in and sent it back and started receiving benefits shortly after.the form can be a bit daunting in so far as the info they require but your local C.A.B. should be able to help you with it.our council has a benefifts rights officer,he filled it in for me and i just signed it.i don't know if you have those in scotland but it's worth checking it out.good luck and let us know how you get on.if i can be of any more help don't hesitate to ask. john.

Chas
03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Hi Debra,

Thank you for your reply and in answer to your question, I am currently on 3mg prednisolone down from 60mg and 150mg azathioprine daily. concerning the breathlessness I have just had a ct scan which docs say shows no wegeners in my lungs and cardioligist dismiss a heart problem I have so this makes me wonder if it is a side affect of the medication. I have noticed many people on the forum mentioning breathing problems.

Chas
03-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Hi John,
Thanks for your helpful reply. Think our local council has a benefits officer so will try. Will let you know how I get on.
Chas.

Debbie C
03-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Congrats on having a good scan..does that put you in remission?

Chas
03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi Debra,

Docs have not actually used the term remission but have for the first time put me on a two monthly hospital app.

Dryhill
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Hi Debra,

Docs have not actually used the term remission but have for the first time put me on a two monthly hospital app.

I am not in remission yet only see my doctor every three months. Mind you I am having blood and urine tests every three weeks, so he would know very quickly if anything drastic was happening. At least I do not have to go to the hospital for the tests, just pop into my GP's surgery.

Jim