PDA

View Full Version : Morphea

Happy Camper
03-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I had a strange spot on my back so I went to see the Dr. and they said it looked like vasculitis and so they did a biopsy. The results came back that I have Morphea. It's a type of localized scleroderma. Anyone else every have anything similar?
The spot came and went in a week and my Dr. said not to worry that she sees this happen to people with immune system problems!

Al
03-04-2012, 04:10 PM
A lot of autoimmune diseases are quite rare. I had to look up Morphea, which is very unusual, though I'd wager that, like may other AI diseases, it is not so rare as the statistics suggest, for the simple reason that most doctors would not know how to diagnose it. Morphea does seem to be associated with other AI diseases, and some fraction of sufferers do progress to systemic scleroderma. But I wouldn't worry overly for now unless you have other AI symptoms. But do keep your eye on it.

Al

Happy Camper
03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
K for the info!

Sangye
03-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Morphea is not typically treated as it doesn't pose a danger to internal organs or larger areas of skin like systemic scleroderma. I haven't heard of another Weggie with it, though. I think we should give you a prize! :w00t:

Happy Camper
03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Lol!!! I always think if I was "lucky" enough to get Wegeners maybe I could win the lotto or something :)

Al
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
As it happens, many sufferers of autoimmune diseases have more than one set of symptoms, representing, presumably, multiple diseases or syndromes. But most AI diseases are rare in themselves, so there are a lot of lottery winners! Nevertheless, congratulations--or something...!

Al