PDA

View Full Version : KB's Gall Bladder (acute cholecystitus) diagnosis!

KathyB
03-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi all -- I've been off-line for over a week. The stomach and back pains showed up again. I had an ultrasound then HIDA scan and sure enough, gall bladder disease! The first major flare came along with the drug-induced hepatitis event at Christmas and has continued in various pain levels and durations since then. The HIDA was critical for diagnosis. The gall bladder isn't functioning at all -- contracted during ultrasound and it didn't absorb any of radioactive injection or show up at all in the HIDA (even after checking again in 2hrs). Waiting for appointment to consult and schedule removal with surgeon. The pain continues but is manageable so far.

I was scheduled to start my 2nd round (6 months since dx) of Rituxan on Monday, but it's been delayed until the GB issue is resolved. Has anyone had GB removed while having WG? What do I expect with GB surgery? Any urgency to surgery? Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!!

KB

Al
03-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Yikes! I don't have any experience with this, Kathy, but it does not sound like more fun than a lawn darts game where you fill in as the target. Please keep us advised....

Al

mishb
03-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm glad they finally figured it out Kathy.

My husband and two daughters have had theirs removed and after an overnight stay in hospital they were actually in excellent shape when they came home, however, none of them have WG...... so no advice there.
You will have 4 to 6 keyholes from your sternum downwards and my husband said to tell you that the pain is easily controlled with some paracetomol but the discomfort will last for about a week.

Good luck with it and let us know how you are feeling

elephant
03-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Yes, my Wegeners was still somewhat active when I had my gallbladder out, but it had to be done. The doctors thought the culprit was the prednisone. Prenisone has done alot of damage, but has saved my life.

Psyborg
03-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I had mine out before diagnosis. Mine was bad due to being ruptured, which is extremely uncommon. The surgery isn't supposed to be bad at all when it's laparoscopic.

drz
03-04-2012, 07:18 PM
It is great to see the quick answers to a question that must create considerable anxiety for poster. This forum is great source o help and support for many and we are lucky to have this resource. Thanks Andrew! Thanks to all our posters too.

me2
03-04-2012, 08:23 PM
I have not had gall bladder surgery with WG but I did get hernia repair. It was not laproscopic. I never thought the two would complicate things , except that I was just a little more miserable than usual for a while - while the surgery healed. Then I went back to the way I was before the surgery. They gave me good medications to help cope with the pain.

KathyB
03-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Agreed, drz! When I posted, I knew to expect thoughtful, compassionate, and fact-filled responses! Thx to you all for this awesome support system!! It means a lot!!

KB

Jennie
03-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Hi KathyB

I had mine out about 12 years ago. The surgery was laproscopic and done in the moring. I was home that same afternoon. However, this was before I had any symptoms of WG which I think would have complicated things. I remember needing tylenol 3 for pain and keeping a pillow close by to hug if I needed to cough or sneeze. It seemed to help.

Good Luck with the surgery,
Jennie

Nancy-S
03-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Yes, a pillow! I haven't had that surgery but I've had four other surgeries in my belly and hugging a pillow helped lots.

Glad you have answers. Sending good vibes and prayers your way.

KathyB
03-05-2012, 08:11 AM
As far as I know, I'm stone-free. My brother (he's an OR nurse) has operated on many GB surgeries and says the surgery is so much simpler when no stones are present. Of course, they have to go in and see for sure! I'll remember the pillow -- for coughing, sneezing and LAUGHING! Thx!!

KB

Al
03-05-2012, 05:51 PM
As far as I know, I'm stone-free. My brother (he's an OR nurse) has operated on many GB surgeries and says the surgery is so much simpler when no stones are present. Of course, they have to go in and see for sure! I'll remember the pillow -- for coughing, sneezing and LAUGHING! Thx!!

Just remember, Kathy" 1) this is no laughing matter. 2) When you do laugh, don't forget your pillow....

Al

Sangye
03-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm sorry you have to have your GB removed, Kathy. Wish we'd known earlier on-- there's a lot that can be done holistically to save it if it's not too far gone. At any rate, I hope it's easier than you think.

KathyB
03-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Made it through GB surgery just fine! The GB is off to pathology to get some answers on whether/not there's any sign of WG present, stones not observed in tests, approximate length of disease, etc. The docs said the appearance of the GB showed a short timeline for disease. I have four incisions that were glued together (no stitches!). Once again, MCV (Medical Center of Virginia -- or Virginia Commonwealth University Hospital System) in Richmond did a phenomenal job keeping track of me as a WG patient. The docs (surgery, rheumy, nephrologist) consulted together determining treatment, etc. So i was admitted Monday, had surgery Tuesday, and released later Wednesday! Now I'm home recovering nicely! You may remember I was supposed to start my 2nd round of Rtx on Monday but had to postpone due to surgery. Pending more great test results and my follow-up to surgery, I'll begin Rtx again on the 20th. I'm doing the two treatments 15 days apart. I am so very thankful for a positive result and no more tummy pain! On a final note, my creatinine was solid at 1.51 which is a fabulous number for me!! Amen!!

Jennie
03-10-2012, 08:40 AM
So glad to hear the GB surgery went well and you are recovering at home.

Take care,
Jennie

Lightwarrior
03-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm glad your surgery went well :hug3:

Sangye
03-10-2012, 03:53 PM
It's great to hear that everything went so well, Kathy. Happy healing. :smile1:

me2
03-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Fantastic news. You are on a roll