PDA

View Full Version : Nick Cannon- "Lupus like auto-immune disease"

NicShaf
03-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Hey, has anyone read the news about Nick Cannon? He was diagnosed with an auto immune disease after kidney probelms and hospitalization a couple months ago. He describes it as "lupus like" but hasn't released the name of the disease.
Anyone think it could be our old friend WG?

pberggren1
03-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Who is Nick Cannon?

NicShaf
03-03-2012, 10:48 AM
LOL! He is...well, I don't know what he's famous for but he is currently the host of America's Got Talent (I think). He's married to Mariah Carey.

pberggren1
03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Oh, I see. One of those people that thinks they can do something special.......boring.......lol.

Dirty Don
03-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I tend to think and recognize Cannon's symptoms as WG-like. He's one of those super achievers in the entertainment business, cool guy, very active, but 'fate' stuck its ugly nose into his life...no one is invulnerable. I am interested in and amazed at the number of AI-like dxs showing up. I keep Google Alert w/ WG and related diseases on puter...I get at least a half dozen a week about something related to AIs. Maybe these diseases are just getting more notice, or maybe they are starting to show up as a base disease for many other diseases we seem to have or dismiss as something else...who knows at this point.

Dirty Don
03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Phil...get a grip...Cannon IS a very cool person...but, he's just like all of us, susceptible to the flaws in life...

Al
03-03-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm guessing it isn't classic WG, as there is nothing said about granulomas, and, in his PR photos, there doesn't seem to be any facial involvement. "Lupus-like" would suggest something that involves nerves and joints, though no specific disease is mentioned. So it could be one (or more) of many. In all cases, it appears to be, like any of the ANCA diseases, organ threatening. I'm sure that this has changed his life and his worldview in a huge way--as our own autoimmune diseases have for the rest of us. In an important sense, we're all Weggies....

Al

KathyB
03-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I, too, thought of WG when he started talking about his issues. Unsure of the specifics of his dx, but the publicity he has garnered (along with other AI folks) is bringing an awareness that benefits us all!

Nancy-S
03-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Maybe someone should bring wegs awareness to him. He could be stuck in the same dx cycle. Is that silly of me to think?

Dirty Don
03-03-2012, 03:31 PM
In an important sense, we're all Weggies....Al

BIG sigh...agreed Al...we ALL are on this little marble of a planet together...we need to be supportive of all...caring & helpful as best as we can be to all...hmmm, pred must wearing off??!! LOL! And, Kathy & Nancy, along with people like Marta who are proactive, we/our 'group' needs the help of those who are more 'visible' to more people who can or may help...

mishb
03-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I read an article this morning that said Nick Cannon has classic symptoms of MPA. I think that's how it went.
The first thing I thought was ..... who the heck is Nick Cannon!!! Sorry

Al
03-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I read an article this morning that said Nick Cannon has classic symptoms of MPA. I think that's how it went.
The "autoimmune" part and the "acute kidney failure" part do go along with MPA, though the "lupus-like" business suggests something else. Who knows?

Al

delorisdoe
03-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Oh, I see. One of those people that thinks they can do something special.......boring.......lol.

Nick Cannon is actually in my opinion one of the funniest hosts on tv. scratch that he is hillarious. I only ever watc americas got talent because of him. He is sweet and just so funny. He stands in the sidelines dancing along with the contestants etc. He is married to mariah carey and they have new twins. He is one of my favorites for sure. I heard about this as well a few weeks ago and wondered the same thing. I would not be supriesed if it was wegeners. He would be a great famous person to have along. HUMOR is after all the best medicine.

delorisdoe
03-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm guessing it isn't classic WG, as there is nothing said about granulomas, and, in his PR photos, there doesn't seem to be any facial involvement. "Lupus-like" would suggest something that involves nerves and joints, though no specific disease is mentioned. So it could be one (or more) of many. In all cases, it appears to be, like any of the ANCA diseases, organ threatening. I'm sure that this has changed his life and his worldview in a huge way--as our own autoimmune diseases have for the rest of us. In an important sense, we're all Weggies....

Al

He has said very little at all about any of it. He is not likely to speak of granulomas. Also , when I do tell people what I have-almost never-I often compare it to lupus as that is something people have heard of and is the easiest way to explain. I would not rule out wg yet.

delorisdoe
03-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Maybe someone should bring wegs awareness to him. He could be stuck in the same dx cycle. Is that silly of me to think?

A few weeks ago when I first read of this there was a comment section below the storry where people could leave well wishes etc....4 people in the first 20 comments told him to ask his doctors about wegeners.

delorisdoe
03-03-2012, 11:55 PM
http://youtu.be/R6ohESUpVGE

He truly is awesome. so funny. You would love him.

I tried to find a funny clip of him this was the best I could do.

pberggren1
03-04-2012, 05:01 AM
I like funny guys. I might have to watch this show. When and where does it come on?

delorisdoe
03-04-2012, 06:09 AM
I am not sure when it comes back. I am not such a fan of the show myself but my husband and daughter like it and I get a kick out of nick every week.

Al
03-04-2012, 11:08 AM
He has said very little at all about any of it. He is not likely to speak of granulomas. Also , when I do tell people what I have-almost never-I often compare it to lupus as that is something people have heard of and is the easiest way to explain. I would not rule out wg yet.
Obviously, we are not trying to make a diagnose for him, but you can't blame us for taking a stab--sort of like the office football pool. I am guessing MPA.

Al

delorisdoe
03-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Obviously, we are not trying to make a diagnose for him, but you can't blame us for taking a stab--sort of like the office football pool. I am guessing MPA.

Al
I certainly not blaming anyone for taking a stab??? My gut says wegeners. My point was he is not talking about it with the public at all.

Al
03-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Blame? Nah. Again, like the office pool, it is only in fun, since we don't have much to go on (since he hasn't said all that much).

Al

Kimbangu
03-04-2012, 10:06 PM
This gentleman is unknown in Europe as far as I can make out . But I have got my Google news alerts set up so it flags up anything to do with 'Wegener's granulomatosis".

This morning I find 2 news alerts concerning this entertainer. Both times because people have commented on articles by mentioning the possibility of WG.

If he has got WG he should stop being cagey about it. I think his publicists might be holding back in case he stops getting work because of it. In which case it is a lost opportunity to publicise vasculitis.

I hope things work out OK for this guy but it does sound like he might be in denial a little? - after all if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck........

delorisdoe
03-04-2012, 10:28 PM
This gentleman is unknown in Europe as far as I can make out . But I have got my Google news alerts set up so it flags up anything to do with 'Wegener's granulomatosis".

This morning I find 2 news alerts concerning this entertainer. Both times because people have commented on articles by mentioning the possibility of WG.

If he has got WG he should stop being cagey about it. I think his publicists might be holding back in case he stops getting work because of it. In which case it is a lost opportunity to publicise vasculitis.

I hope things work out OK for this guy but it does sound like he might be in denial a little? - after all if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck........

Not telling the world what is wrong with him is his choice. It's not necessarily denial. I have had wegeners for almost 12 years. I never bring it up and I can't name 3 people who could tell you what I have. I am not in denial but I do hate sayiNg wegeners granulomatosis. I would love if he would just tell us but it is not his duty to do so.

Unfortunately with autoimmunity if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck we can only assume that maybe it is some kind of bird. Maybe.

pberggren1
03-05-2012, 03:25 AM
Hopefully it is a Flamingo then.

Nancy-S
03-05-2012, 05:27 AM
"I'm blessed to have a platform to share my life, and there is a responsibility that comes with that, so I'm doing everything I can to drive awareness about kidney disease and lupus as well as provide inspiration to those living with it.

With March being World Kidney Month, it's only right that I use every outlet to further this awareness. I will be sitting down with Good Morning America on Monday to further discuss my journey please tune into ABC at 8am, I'll also be sharing my Ncredible Health Hustle with you here, so keep checking back often." - Nick Cannon

I got this from his website, you can find it here: Found Out I Have An Autoimmune Disease - Nick Cannon (http://www.nickcannon.com/post/found-out-i-have-an-autoimmune-disease)

In the short time he's been ill, he's done some good stuff. I doubt he's hiding anything. It's tricky to find a dx, as we all know.

Al
03-05-2012, 07:02 AM
One of Nick Cannon's correspondents suggested antiphospholipid syndrome (aka Hughes syndrome). This does fit the public description. It isn't so far from WG, you know. I still say we're all Weggies....

Al

Rose
03-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Love Nick Cannon and was very sad to hear that he has an AI disease. it seems he has been more specific on Good Morning America this morning stating that he has Lupus Nephritis. Seems also his kidney disease may be worse than "mild' as, according to the article, some foods have been restricted.

HopeinTN
03-07-2012, 07:19 AM
I taped it and finally watched it last night. Yep, Lupus Nephritis it is. He did mention that it was "life threatening" and that he has changed a lot of things. Maybe he will bring a lot of interest towards AI diseases in general.

Kimbangu
03-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Phew I am just glad to learn that I have a "lupus - like disease" too! - that has made my day I must say.

I agree that accurate diagnosis is near -impossible. Let's face it he is one of us- regardless.

me2
03-08-2012, 02:42 AM
I taped it and finally watched it last night. Yep, Lupus Nephritis it is. He did mention that it was "life threatening" and that he has changed a lot of things. Maybe he will bring a lot of interest towards AI diseases in general.

At one of the Vasculitus Foundation Symposiums one of the doctors during his speech said the best thing that could happen for us with WG is if someone famous came down with it. This is not wishing it on anyone but just recognizing the good that can come from it. Everyone here acts in that way , in our own way. Everyone here is 'famous' to me.

Sangye
03-09-2012, 03:23 AM
I totally agree with that, Kirk. The fact that Montel Williams has MS and is very public about it has brought a huge amount of increased attention (and probably funding) to a disease that was already well-known. It would be enormous for Wegs.

me2
03-09-2012, 03:46 AM
Hey, another way to go is if one of US becomes wildly rich and famous. I am hereby announcing my availability.

Lightwarrior
03-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Hey, another way to go is if one of US becomes wildly rich and famous. I am hereby announcing my availability.

Hey me2...me3. :hug3:

Nancy-S
03-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Can we get someone to make a crazy drama filled reality show starring weggies?

me2
03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Can we get someone to make a crazy drama filled reality show starring weggies?

"Days Of Our Lives- On Prednisone" A dope opera at my house.

Al
03-09-2012, 09:30 AM
"Days Of Our Lives- On Prednisone" A dope opera at my house.

Haw! "As the World Churns, Slues, Pivots, Jinks, and Dives"

Al