PDA

View Full Version : Income Protection

henrycandy
02-29-2012, 12:53 AM
Hi All

New Member- WG for last 5 years -Hopefully diagnosed early as to date(touch wood) had no major organ involvement.

Over last 12 months required gastric surgery (advised non WG associated) which set me back considerably as I had to minimise my
wg medication resulting in WG involvement. I likely subject to latest Blood tests will require Renal biopsy and recommencement of Cyclo/Pred for 12 months.

Been of work for over 6 months and considering submitting claim under my income protection policy for WG- but wonder if any forum members have submitted such claims under these policies particurlarly as WG is so difficult to predict as regards activity ie periods of remission and then sudden whoosh. Been signed of with WG

:confused1:

PS based in Northern UK

Geoff
03-09-2012, 03:24 AM
Hi henrycandy,

Your situation with Wegs and the timing etc is almost a direct copy to mine. I have just been signed off for 3months, which will make 4 in total including initial absence. I have just contacted my employer to update them and I will be receiving a large bundle of forms to fill in very shortly. We shall have to compare notes!

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

P.S I live in sunny, drought affected Essex!!

HopeinTN
03-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Good luck to you guys and I hope you get the help you need. I couldn't imagine not being able to work and make money. I would be in a homeless shelter with my dog and no meds for sure. Not to mention the stress that would bring. Yikes.

mishb
03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Henry.

If you can live without getting an income then you would have your answer and don't submit, but since most people cannot live without an income (me included) then you really need to submit your forms.
Income protection is designed specifically for this purpose. As a result of sickness or accident and you cannot work your normal job/profession, Income Protection will kick in after the required waiting period. In Australia the waiting period is 3 months.
They are not illness specific and you should not be subjected to a run around of trying to prove whether you can or cannot work.

Mainly years ago, Income Protection was one of the main fields I worked in, as well as Superannuation and Life Insurance. I'm not sure how your policies work in UK but they are fairly straight forward over here, however, most policies only give a percentage of your income as a return - mainly 75%

Certainly, lodge your forms (with all required attachments), you really have nothing to lose either way.

Good luck and I hope things start to improve soon