PDA

View Full Version : Nose bleed

Derek
04-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Hi All

I have had problems with nose bleeds, crusting and stuffiness for years. I have been on all sorts of drop,sprays and ointments to try to help over the years. I have recently been very tired with muscle weakness and very bunged up.

I tried the steam room at the gym and it seemed to help clear my nose for a short while.

Thinking I had found a remedy I purchased a bottle of Menthol & Eucalyptus Inhalation to try. Got the hot water and put in the mix. Put my head over the bowl and in under a minute the mixture turned red. I had a very bad bleed from my right side. It took over two hours to stop. I must say it proberly did not help with the Blood thinning tablets I am on for the heart procedure (Stent fitted Oct 2008) and the blood pressure tablets.

I won't be trying this idea again. Has anyone had a similar experience.

I wish that a site like this was available when I was diagnosed, it is a great help to talk to fellow sufferers, well done Andrew

Derek:mad:

pberggren1
04-27-2009, 07:48 AM
I had almost the same experience with the Menthol and Eucalyptus.

I find the best thing that works for me is irrigating with the waterpik.

If you want more info on that let me know.

What do you mean about being bunged up? Do you mean the bowels?

Jack
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Had huge problems with the nose bleeds in the early days (requiring hospitalisation), but all this pretty well cleared up once my treatment started. Don't use any chemical or drug treatments, this caused me a lot of problems with rebound symptoms. Just stick with warm saline solution to irrigate your nose gently.

Derek
04-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks Jack. I will not use the inhalation mixture again.

Derek

Derek
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Hi. Bunged up in the nasel region. Bleeds occur when you try clearing the area.

Derek

pberggren1
04-27-2009, 07:30 PM
I used to have that problem before I started irrigating my sinuses with the waterpik. The waterpik gently moves everything out of the sinuses.

mikecaven
05-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Derek,
I have some thoughts for you. I first got WG 28 years ago and relapsed about one year ago. I have had nose bleeds off and on for many years. Here is the best solutions I have found:
1. Use a combination of canning salt and baking soda (1/2 teaspoon of each mixed in warm water). Use a large baby type syringe (like one would use to suction). Or, you can buy a product called Sinus Rinse at Walgreen's or CVS pharmacy. You can also use a product called a "netty pot" ..but I like the baby syringe better. Sinus Rinse is the same as canning salt and baking soda. You may have to vary the strength as you may not like too much salt. You have to use canning salt and not table salt ....since table salt has preservatives. I have used this solution for 12 years with amazing success. It cleanses your sinuses and allows for better breathing by dilating your nose internally.
2. Get your dr. to write you a prescription for Bactroban ointment. It will help healing dramatically.

Good luck. This too shall pass.

Derek
05-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks Mike for your advice. Glad you had relief with it. I will give it a try and ask
about the ointment when I see the ENT doc.

Thanks

Derek