PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics or not

maria garcia
02-21-2012, 10:43 AM
My daughter has a cold. Stuffy nose. cough, sore throat, and had a bad bloody nose today. I know its not wegs her sister also has a cold.I want to take her to the doctor for antibiotics and she does not want to take antibiotics. I keep reading how many of you take antibiotics in your daily routine. Because of her wegs. should she take antibiotics for a cold ,so it doesn't get complicated, or wait.

drz
02-21-2012, 10:54 AM
My daughter has a cold. Stuffy nose. cough, sore throat, and had a bad bloody nose today. I know its not wegs her sister also has a cold.I want to take her to the doctor for antibiotics and she does not want to take antibiotics. I keep reading how many of you take antibiotics in your daily routine. Because of her wegs. should she take antibiotics for a cold ,so it doesn't get complicated, or wait.

Antibiotics don't do anything for a cold. If her immune system is real suppressed form her meds, like Cytoxan can do, an antibiotic might be warranted to prevent an infection from developing. Her treating doctor who knows her lab work could answer this question. For me a cold usually results in sinus infection, bronchitis, ear infection or something that requires an antibiotic but it is best to try get by without them if possible if her health is otherwise good.

HopeinTN
02-22-2012, 05:25 AM
I'm on Cytoxan and Bactrim every other day. I think is the norm for treatment when your immune system is supressed. Also, I've either been super lucky, or the Bactrim works because I haven't been sick yet. We'll aside from side effects of the meds.

pberggren1
02-22-2012, 06:39 AM
My doc only uses Bactrim as a prophylactic in extreme cases and when on ctx.

HopeinTN
02-22-2012, 07:21 AM
I think it helps prevent bad infection like PCP. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) is caused by the ubiquitous unicellular eukaryote, P carinii. This organism is a rare cause of infection in the general population, but it is a frequent cause of morbidity and mortality in persons who are immunocompromised. As Phil, I take as a prophylactic to protect my gimpy lungs.

Jaha
02-22-2012, 08:48 AM
I have been on Bactrim MWF, since Sept 2010 when I started taking the chemo drugs. I have also had many infections and was put of Cipro, and had to go off the chemo while I took the antibiotics. I think my lungs are gimpy also.

Jana

Al
02-23-2012, 07:23 AM
I think it helps prevent bad infection like PCP. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) is caused by the ubiquitous unicellular eukaryote, P carinii. This organism is a rare cause of infection in the general population, but it is a frequent cause of morbidity and mortality in persons who are immunocompromised. As Phil, I take as a prophylactic to protect my gimpy lungs.
Another possible use of Bactrim: as a prophylaxis against Staph colonies. Weggies are often chronic carriers of Staphylococcus aureus, and it has been suggested that S. Aureus can trigger WG flares. In fact, being a chronic carrier of S. aureus is known to be a fairly high risk factor for WG relapse. One interesting statistical finding: Flares are somewhat less common for patients on Bactrim. Please note that I am not suggesting that there are no downsides to Bactrim, or any other antibiotic.

Al

elephant
02-23-2012, 01:51 PM
I quit taking Bactrim two months ago to give my body a break, so far no infection. I am off Prednisone! The only two medications I am taking to knock my immune system is Cyclosporine and Cellcept 2000 mg a day. I am hoping I don't have to go back to Bactrim or Prednisone.

drz
02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Has anyone here been able to desensitize themselves to Bactrim if you are allergic to sulfa?

I would like to get on Bactrim but can't because of a sulfa allergy. I tried the desensitization procedure that recommended but ran into trouble on second day so decided to postpone it for awhile. I would like to try again at a later date if doctors think it can work for me. I do take the non sulfa part of Bactrim (trimethoprim) and it has helped prevent any more bladder infections.

pberggren1
02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Yup, we are famous for SA. Already had it in my lungs last year.

Sangye
02-24-2012, 04:02 PM
I quit taking Bactrim two months ago to give my body a break, so far no infection. I am off Prednisone! The only two medications I am taking to knock my immune system is Cyclosporine and Cellcept 2000 mg a day. I am hoping I don't have to go back to Bactrim or Prednisone.
You are OFF pred???!!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t: Wow, Elephant I know you never thought you could do it. I am so happy for you!! I have tears in my eyes right now, knowing how hard you've worked at getting off of it. Big hugs to you! You should have a party. Seriously! :hug3::hug3::hug3:

elephant
02-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I can't believe it either, so far so good. Thanks Sange for your support!

Psyborg
02-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Congrats on getting off the Pred elephant :)

NicShaf
02-28-2012, 03:52 AM

Depending on what immuno-suppresant she is on, it could have a reaction. MTX reacts with Sulfa and another common ingredient in most antibiotics; you should look into this before she takes anything. I wish I could remember the name, but I'm drawing a blank. Hope she feels better soon.