PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers needed for Sangye's little vertigo experiment

Sangye
02-20-2012, 03:05 PM
I've been using a little trick and have been able to improve my balance substantially since an inner ear infection gave me ongoing vertigo. I'd like to see if it can help others, so if you have vertigo (from any cause), please give this a try.

Caveats:
1) Don't do it if you're having acute, severe vertigo. I'm talking about the ongoing swirliness that you learn to live with.

2) If you have numbness in your feet please use extra caution.

Before you do the exercise each day, rank your sense of balance on a scale of 0 to 10, with 10 being the worst possible, and 0 being perfect balance.

Do this 3 times a day:
1) Stand barefoot on a firm surface (ie, not carpeting). Make sure there is something stable to hold onto close by if you need it (eg, kitchen counter).
2) Close your eyes without holding onto anything
3) The moment you feel a bit wobbly, put all your attention on the soles of your feet. Feel the ground beneath every part of the bottom of your feet--sole, toes, etc...
4) Open your eyes if you get too wobbly, but if you're doing okay try to keep your eyes closed for a count of 20. Continue bringing your attention to your soles whenever you get wobbly.

Let me know what your results are after doing this every day for 1 week.

Al
02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
I'll bite, Sangye. I will try this and give you a report. I usually do a version of this while working out, but not with my eyes closed. This sounds more difficult....

For what it is worth, vertigo is not always an inner ear problem. Sometimes it is transient low blood pressure or some other vascular anomaly.

Al

pberggren1
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
This is very interesting Sangye. I will try and do this each day. I would not class my vertigo as anywhere near severe though.

Dirty Don
02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I might add to Sangye's exercise something similar called 3D exercises: basically half lunges contacting the ground/floor with complete foot and thrusting arms/hands in the direction of the lunge. Start only with some kind of aid to keep you upright, like a kitchen counter. After a while I closed my eyes with the most basic of lunge/thrusts...then as I gained confidence and balance, I did them in different directions...as an athlete, this was extremely helpful to me regaining my equilibrium. It didn't take much of my time, was easy to do, and was entertaining to my wife too!! LOL! But it worked, and was given to me by my then PT after hospital release. Good luck!

Al
02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
I might add to Sangye's exercise something similar called 3D exercises: basically half lunges contacting the ground/floor with complete foot and thrusting arms/hands in the direction of the lunge. Start only with some kind of aid to keep you upright, like a kitchen counter. After a while I closed my eyes with the most basic of lunge/thrusts...then as I gained confidence and balance, I did them in different directions...as an athlete, this was extremely helpful to me regaining my equilibrium. It didn't take much of my time, was easy to do, and was entertaining to my wife too!! LOL! But it worked, and was given to me by my then PT after hospital release. Good luck!
Does sound entertaining, Don! Maybe even useful....

Al

Dirty Don
02-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Does sound entertaining, Don! Maybe even useful....Al

Well, was shooting for useful, nice to be entertaining too though, if even for a few seconds! If you can imagine a guy my size caught in a semi klutzy ballet moment crossed w/ a track & field kind of exercise for escape...but, hey, it worked/helped me regain some serious balance issues. I mean after those drugs they gave me in surgery and after & a well numbed left foot, I had to relearn walking/shaving/feeding myself...stuff like this helped me come out of it faster & more securely. But, I'll take a 'maybe' from you Al anyday!! LOL

Sangye
02-21-2012, 02:42 AM
I'll bite, Sangye. I will try this and give you a report. I usually do a version of this while working out, but not with my eyes closed. This sounds more difficult....

For what it is worth, vertigo is not always an inner ear problem. Sometimes it is transient low blood pressure or some other vascular anomaly.

Al
There is a reason for having the eyes closed. I'll disclose it once the experiment has ended.

Vertigo is one of the most common symptoms that chiropractors see. There are LOTS of causes for it. It can be a real stinker to pin down the cause.

Sangye
02-21-2012, 02:43 AM
Though that's a good one, please don't combine other exercises with this. I want to keep the variables to a minimum. :smile1:

Sangye
02-21-2012, 02:47 AM
This is very interesting Sangye. I will try and do this each day. I would not class my vertigo as anywhere near severe though.
Phil, severe vertigo is unmistakable. I was hospitalized with it for a week in 2010. I honestly didn't know vertigo could be that bad. If you have severe vertigo you also enjoy severe vomiting with the slightest body movement. Truly one of the worst things I've experienced. I have ongoing mild vertigo, and live in constant fear that it can slip into another severe attack.

drz
02-21-2012, 03:27 AM
Caveats:
1) [B]

2) If you have numbness in your feet please use extra caution.

Do this 3 times a day:
1) Stand barefoot on a firm surface (ie, not carpeting). Make sure there is something stable to hold onto close by if you need it (eg, kitchen counter).
2) Close your eyes without holding onto anything
3) The moment you feel a bit wobbly, put all your attention on the soles of your feet. Feel the ground beneath every part of the bottom of your feet--sole, toes, etc...
4) Open your eyes if you get too wobbly, but if you're doing okay try to keep your eyes closed for a count of 20. [U]Continue bringing your attention to your soles whenever you get wobbly.

Let me know what your results are after doing this every day for 1 week.

This is very similar to one of the exercises they gave me in vestibular rehab therapy. Stand in a corner close to walls but not touching with a high back chair in front of you for safety. Cross your hands over chest, and close your eyes and count to 30. The chair and walls will catch you if lose your balance. Due to loss of balance mechanism in right ear, neuropathy of the feet, muscle weakness from Wegs and neuropathy, I need either a visual cue or tactile aid (touching something or a cane) to keep my balance. I have improved greatly and seldom notice the dizziness anymore after doing the exercises they gave me to help my balance and reduce my dizziness. I can usually do the corner stand now and count to 50 most times without touching the walls or chair. I still wobble a great deal when walking without a cane but I stay upright. Some friends suggest I carry a a small bottle of water in a brown paper bag while staggering down the street to give bystanders a thrill.

Dirty Don
02-21-2012, 03:27 AM
Though that's a good one, please don't combine other exercises with this. I want to keep the variables to a minimum. :smile1:

I forgot, this is a test...my bad...you're right, do NOT combine exercises!

Sangye
02-21-2012, 03:48 AM
This is very similar to one of the exercises they gave me in vestibular rehab therapy. Stand in a corner close to walls but not touching with a high back chair in front of you for safety. Cross your hands over chest, and close your eyes and count to 30. The chair and walls will catch you if lose your balance. Due to loss of balance mechanism in right ear, neuropathy of the feet, muscle weakness from Wegs and neuropathy, I need either a visual cue or tactile aid (touching something or a cane) to keep my balance. I have improved greatly and seldom notice the dizziness anymore after doing the exercises they gave me to help my balance and reduce my dizziness. I can usually do the corner stand now and count to 50 most times without touching the walls or chair. I still wobble a great deal when walking without a cane but I stay upright. Some friends suggest I carry a a small bottle of water in a brown paper bag while staggering down the street to give bystanders a thrill.
This is a great exercise, drz. But my experiment has a crucial twist, which is the conscious focusing on the soles of the feet. There's a reason for that, and I haven't seen it used in any vestibular PT exercises so far.