PDA

View Full Version : auto immune disorders and nutritional supplements.

drz
02-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Autoimmune Diseases - Immune System, Inflammation - Life Extension Health Concern (http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-017.shtml)

Found this article interesting. I don't know how accurate or reliable the info is in the article. But I realize now I stopped taking Vitamin E a few months before the Wegs attack put me in the hospital. I had had mild symptoms for a couple years but maybe the Vitamin E helped control them or maybe not and it was just a coincidence .

Dirty Don
02-18-2012, 01:33 PM
hmmm, me too...used to take many of the 'right' supplements over the years, even DHEA as suggested by the article. It seems I've displayed symptoms for at least 2 years & thru some discussion w/docs, maybe many more including allergies that really didn't exist or went away over the years then came back as recently as 5 years ago. Soooo, do we start in again? I understand this article doesn't seem to have much if any scientific validation, maybe Sangye or Al could discourse on that, but it does present the typical AI syndrome which is not having eaten the right foods, over done or under done certain others, remained in good physical condition, etc. I don't know, but am all ears to the possibility of helping control our malady in some other ways not so toxic. Thanks drz!

Dryhill
02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
My neighbour has been saying for a very long time, that a lot of today's health problems stem with the introduction of sugars (glcose etc.) in prepared foods and it was interesting to see that is sited as a problem. Recently on a tv programme they visited a biscuit factory which is still using a Victorian recipe and the interesting thing was all these bisuits are less sweet than those made by the more common biscuit makers.

So the big question is "have we become more sweet toothed and the food companies are fulfilling our desires or have we become used to them using sugar which is a cheap bulking agent"?

For more than 20 years I have totally cut out using salt in any of my cooking and I have yet to have any salt deficiency problems and that is because there is so much salt in any pre-prepared food that I buy.

Jim

Al
02-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Hmmm....Those of you who have seen my earlier posts on this subject are aware that I think this is a really complex subject. The Real Truth is a slippery subject. I think I will stay out of the discussion for now....

Al

Sangye
02-20-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't support one-size-fits-all use of supplements. Our nutritional needs are constantly changing too, so you have to be re-assessed on a regular basis. I'm taking some of the supplements I took before I got sick and not taking others that I took for years. And what I take today is not exactly the same as what I took a year ago. My doses have changed a lot, too. Even as a chiropractor I don't make these determinations for myself. I get input from my chiropractor.

Al
02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't support one-size-fits-all use of supplements. Our nutritional needs are constantly changing too, so you have to be re-assessed on a regular basis. I'm taking some of the supplements I took before I got sick and not taking others that I took for years. And what I take today is not exactly the same as what I took a year ago. My doses have changed a lot, too. Even as a chiropractor I don't make these determinations for myself. I get input from my chiropractor.

What Sangye said. I don't have a regular chiropractor, but I do have a naturopath that I discuss these issues with.

Al